Before Shots...need feedback to continue on

Options
2»

Replies

• smokinkudzu
    smokinkudzu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you look better than i ever got to be when i was in the Army from 2000-2011. spent most of that time being a nonpromotable SPC, managing to meet the tape test for 2 reeniistments.

i was almost always on the 1SG's special population PT group (typically lumped in with profile PT) to do more PT as the mission allowed in the workday (and more weekends than i'd wanted).

in the end, i could pass the APFT (averaging 80 points each event) but always be borderline with the BMI measurements. i could never grow my neck nor get my waistline skinny despite numerous NCOs coaching me through special pop sessions
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,528 Member
    Options
    Don't believe in somatotyping (endo, meso, ecto morphs). It's an idea developed by a psychiatrist and was based on peoples behaviors more than physiology.

No way to really assess your fitness unless a fitness test is done. If you want my professional opinion, you could stand to lose about 10% body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Maybe try lower the body fat. You have very strong good legs btw!!

+1
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey Rob,

We are the same body type, Endomorph, which as you know gives us a husky soft build. I've been where you are now and have had to work hard to shed some fat and it's still ongoing.

I love to eat but i've had to watch my diet ( I still eat everything, just not as much ) plus I do cardio 6 time per week and also do circuits 3-4 times per week. We Endo's gain mucle easy but also fat. I've lost 57 lbs and still have a bit more to go. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Hang in there my friend and feel free to message me anytime.

Jeff
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here's my comments. Thanks for your commitment and your service. Have a son just starting out and my prayer is that he lasts 17+ years!

1. Good underlying musculature. Looks like you have a good base built and while I'm not sure if you are currently lifting, you definitely should consider a good basic (read: compound movement program) going forward.

2. You are carrying a lot of fat. Because of your frame, you carry it reasonably well, but you need to look at your diet. The bottom line is that as we get older, it's tougher to maintain a reasonable weight and we have to work harder at it. Believe me, at 58 it's much more difficult than at 28! Here's the kicker...little changes can make significant long term changes. A slice of bread extra per day adds up to about 10 lbs a year! The reverse is also true. So being intentional about your intake, and paying attention to your calories in vs. calories out can make a huge difference in a little time. I lost a significant amount for me last year after deciding I needed to make my food intake something I paid attention to!!!

3. Running in your program is probably critical since the military includes your 2 mile time in your fitness evaluation. Guess you are pretty "up" on that already, but incorporating that regularly can also have an impact.

By the way, I think we can overdo appearance. Six pack abs and low body fat is fine, but being comfortable with how you look is much more important. Getting active and being able to exercise appropriately is a big part of feeling good about ourselves, and I hope you find the tools you need to assist you. Good luck.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Rob, 1st i understand it is disappointing to work at losing weight and see very little results. Yet do not let that be the excuse used to quit eating healthy and having an exercise routine. Knowing you are doing your best should be your motivation. Keep growing in your knowledge of your body and searching for what will work for you!

2nd, i love my body as it is now! Whatever imperfections i see...i dont let those define how i see myself. Look at the whole you! Noone absolutely noone when they use a magnifying glass likes what they see, because a magnifying glass exaggerates and enlarges imperfections. And what u may not like about self, someone else finds appealing. So act like you are a nice looking guy and you will feel it! You will see what others like in you and continue to do the right things for yourself!

Shaun hadsall on you tube has alot of good videos about how the body processes food and how to make sure body is burning fat. He answers questions like: should i exercise on empty stomach? He will give you reasons why you may want to AND why you may not want to. Because each answer depends on your intent or purpose. I myself have struggled to lose weight the past 3 years. Nothing seems to bring results. I started implementing things i learned from him and in 30 days have finally had results that make me feel ive found my key to.successful weight loss! Let see what happens in july!

:-)
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for serving! Thats where my dad met my mother! Anyways, I agree that u look like youve already got a very solid underlying musculature. Im pretty much built the same as you ...frame wise ( basically short and stocky).

Overall you look good. Obviously there are some areas to improve on, isnt that why we are all here? To better ourselves.
    looks like you have maybe 25# of fat you could stand to lose. Lowerbody looks good.....probably from humpin it all day with a full pack. I see some lovehandles only barely....and also abdominal area (all of it)....looks loke u have a 6pack starting.

Im guessing u workout regularly. If not ...start it.

I would start watching food intake. I know bases arent the most convenient places to try and put together a nutritional plan.
    MREs are generally high in carbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!