Need more iron

Options
What foods do you guys recommend that have iron in them?

Thanks!

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What foods do you guys recommend that have iron in them?

Thanks!

Red meat, spinach, beans. I mean I'm sure google can help you out there.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Rice krispies or other fortified breakfast cereals. I'm anemic and my doctor recommend rice kris pies and dark leafy green veggies :)
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions for iron rich foods, so I'll just add a reminder to be sure to get enough vitamin C to absorb it too.
  • mchanido
    mchanido Posts: 6
    Options
    Rice krispies or other fortified breakfast cereals. I'm anemic and my doctor recommend rice kris pies and dark leafy green veggies :)

The problem I have with fortified cereal is that you eat it with milk or yoghurt. But I've been told by my doctor to not eat milk, yoghurt, cheese etc at least half an hour before and half an hour after I get my iron supplement pills because they inhibit the absorption of iron. So however much cereals are fortified does it really matter if my body can't absorb it? Or does it work differently with iron from food instead from a pill?
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try another kind of milk with your cereal? Almond or coconut are my favorite.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Keep in mind that non-heme sources of iron absorb extremely poorly (supplements - fortifications). So it's best to get it from whole food sources that contain it in heme.
  • KatiePapaya
    Options
    I still use some supplements (I was anemic so I like getting into the 90-100% range) but I track iron and my diary is open so you can have a look if you like :) Also, certain things can inhibit the absorption of iron (dairy products for example) whereas foods high in vitamin C help :) That's what my doctor told me, and my bloods are healthy now...
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how you know for a fact that you require more iron? Did you have a doctor test your iron and ferritin levels?

I'm just wondering because having too much iron can be very dangerous for your health so you should never supplement unless you know for certain that you're not getting the amount that your body needs. Having high iron gives you the exactly symptoms that you have with anemia.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bison meat is really high in iron as well