Starting over again

Options
Hi, I am starting back seriously today after years of stopping and starting. Last week I lost a relative, someone I was very close to, whose ill health and death was in a big way due to bad diet. Over the years diabetes took their sight, destroyed their heart, kidneys and legs and yet they still couldn't seem to eat healthily. I've been heading down the same road for too long now. My family comment how alike we were which for the most part was a huge compliment but in this it's worrying. I've lost and gained so many times it scares me that this will just be another failed attempt. Any support or advise to help me stick with it this time would be hugely appreciated.

Replies

• ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One of the first things would be to open your page so those people who will give help can see who they are helping. Your age, a little about yourself all help the MFP people find out something about you. I have been on here well over a year and have never had anyone use any of my info except to try to help me. If you read some of the success stories you will see it can be done! It's a journey and needs o start today!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. If you find yourself starting a plan and then abandoning it repeatedly, take a close look at the plan and do not do the same thing again. Too many people get all determined and implement a food and/or exercise plan that is not sustainable over the long haul. Give your past efforts a critical eye and try to analyze why you couldn't stick with it. Do something different.

I advocate a moderate food plan, with a big variety of foods. I don't cut out any food groups and I plan in treats that meet my emotional needs. I rarely go over my set calories. I exercise moderately and walk as much as possible. I guard against stresses in my life and regularly remember my long-term goals: healthy, well-being, longevity.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear things are rough for you personally right now. That alone can take a huge toll on your stress level, eating habits and activity level. I am going through a few personal issues right now as well and woke up this morning with my jaws screaming from clenching in my sleep. I then realized, its time to get back into the gym and release some of the stress. Tonight is the night! Good luck to you and I am here to help support you through your journey!
  • jbholla
    jbholla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am starting over again. Did this program about 3 years ago and was very successful at it losing 22 lbs. I am almost back up to my starting weight 3 years ago. I have had some abdominal surgery , so I don't ever think I could achieve 6 pack abs, but need to tone it up as much as possible and looking for all the help I can get!
  • vcharmergirl
    vcharmergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just my opinion here...first of all, i'd like to send my condolences on your recent loss....
    I for one have been overweight since graduating high school and having my child. Diets have always failed me, or perhaps i failed the diet...lol Diets were always temporary...i need permanent!

It wasn't until recently that i woke one day and decided that i was tired of being overweight and always feeling "blah". I was also tired of taking 3 insulin shots per day, so i decided it was just time to change my eating habits...Nope not on a diet, just began a healthier eating lifestyle change. Not only have I lost weight by eating healthier, i feel much better physically. Have not had to take insulin in almost 2 mos. Basically my eating habits include ...1. drinking LOTS of Water (min. 8 cups a day), no caffeine. 2. baked chicken or Fish (Tilapia or Salmon), 3. steamed or raw veggies, 4. brown rice , 5. wheat bread or Sandwich Thins.
    I do not eat pasta or potatoes, white rice, or white bread. NO Fried foods whatsoever...and NO fast food. I eat this way Sun-Fri....
    1. eat healthy breakfast
    2. healthy snack of veggies
    3. healthy lunch
    4. healthy snack of veggies
    5. Dinner before 7pm

Saturday is my "off" day...i can eat out if i like,snack, whatever i am craving. This is MY day! I actually went on vacation few wks ago and was not in a position to eat as healthy as i had been and could really feel the difference...could not wait to get back home to eat healthy again. It was amazing the difference i had felt. Now its not as much as i must eat healthy , I WANT TO...losing weight is just the icing on the cake.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes, things can make us start trying to get healthy and then we still repeat the patterns that have not been successful in the past. I have done that too many times to count. That all stopped 2 years and 100 pounds ago. Starting and stopping (yo yoing) is toxic to your health and never works - no matter how many times we dust it off and try it again.

Here is what worked for me. It's easy - but requires commitment. As you build healthy habits around your eating and training, you will find that you need to rely on outside motivation and encouragement. I encourage you to work on the head issues that have put you in the place to need to lose weight. Until I did that - all my other attempts to lose were futile. I have finally learned self control and moderation in eating.

These links will help you to make and execute a plan that will be sustainable and allow you to lose the weight. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_gypsyrunner_/view/independence-day-free-your-mind-674924
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I second the whole healthy eating thing. Fad diets and such are just fads. Anything which you would not be able to continue doing for a lifetime will just fizzle out. Give a good look at what you eat and try and find healthy alternatives. If you go by the MFP suggestions of looking 2lbs per week, that would roughly put you 100 lbs lighter in a year and their calorie restriction for 2lbs is not a terrible burdeon. Try really hard to get into reading lables and calories per serving. That was a big eye opener for me when i first began this whole thing. 90 lbs later, i'm feeling really good about my choices so far and i dont stop eating foods i like (pizza is just really awsome).
  • viva_la_mandee
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. My biggest advice is to start looking at food differently. I once saw a documentary about healthy eating and one guy said not to think of junk food as something you want but can't have, instead think of it as something you CAN have but DON'T want. Something about that has really changed my outlook on food. Good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do it.
  • BayBay1956
    BayBay1956 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss. I too am starting over TODAY. I came to this site last year and lost 25 lbs, in four months. Than something happen on my job and i was so disappointed that I stopped logging in, stopped eating right, and basically just gave up. I was so depressed and have gained all the weigh back plus some. Two weeks ago I had a major health scare and I vowed to get this weigh off, or else the outcome may be different the next time. I too am diabetic, HBP, and high cholesterol.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am 58 yrs young and would love support from people like yourself, whom are struggling to stay with it. Be encouraged and never give up.

TOGETHER WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!
  • vcharmergirl
    vcharmergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok i must ask...how do i add my weight loss from myfitnesspal here under my reply's?
  • maggie_fly
    maggie_fly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and the good advice. My profile should be viewable now. I'm trying to take a more realistic approach this time so I can stick at it. Usually what happens is I start off being really restrictive then have a lapse and try to pick myself back up and fail a few times before I give up completely. I also have a problem with emotional eating and binging which I need to deal with.

I think looking at it as a permanent lifestyle change rather than going on a diet is something that will be a huge adjustment for me but something I need to get my head around if it's going to work. I've tried to say I'm changing my lifestyle before, but in my mind I still looked on it as a diet. It doesn't help that after years of yo yo dieting I always have the feeling that if I don’t feel deprived I’m not ‘being good’ and that's not going to work for me - it never has before. So it seems that I've lots to work on mentally as well.
  • BayBay1956
    BayBay1956 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    To add your weigh loss, go to the home page/profile/ complete the "my progress" section. Than it will ask you to "Add to your site" which you select to add it.