what have you given up and what have you added

Options
So as we all either change our lifestyle or diet I am curious what has been given up and will you ever eat it again or drink it. What have you added. And do you plan on a lifetime like this or just till you lose your weight?

Myself-I have given up Soda and flavored water with artificial sweeteners. I do not plan on ever having that again. 30 days of water and 1 ice tea a day.So I find it duable.

Pork products-as I got gout last year. I do occasionally still a slice of bacon at work-But at home I eat turkey bacon.

Red meat-Bow here I cheat and eat a once every now and again-We go to a buffet on saturdays and I get 2 bites of prime rib. I love ribeyes but Choose not to eat it.

Gluten in most items-this is due to my Hubby has celiacs and I rather eat and cook one time so I have to be careful of gluten in products

Processed foods-I do not purchase ready to eat or boxed items anymore-and hopefully never will again

My additions have been fresh fruit and veges-Grill alot of veges-And eat fruits I do not like-I do cheat and blend them.

I hope my lifestyle will be a permanent thing. I have never felt so good.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    given up, nothing. but reduced drastically; potato chips, eating out, and beer.

added; more veggies in my meals, started supplementing with fish oil pills and multivitamins

i didnt really change what made up my diet all that much, just portions. although i ate reasonably healthy before i made the transition so i didnt have much to cut out save what i mentioned
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    gave up fast food and fried foods .. dwindled down the bread to nearly nothing...additions? almond milk fortified with protein and fiber ..and more veggies and fruit than usual ..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up much, just sugar & starch.

I've added grass fed meats, butter, cream & bacon :wink:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Haven't given up anything but have reduced bread and 'naughtier' foods, making sure they are 'treats'. Have increased my veg intake as I was never a big veggie lover.

I'm a huge fan of water anyway and don't drink a lot of pop or tea and coffee so that was easy for me.

I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change so allow myself everything in moderation otherwise its going to be a pretty miserable life, lol! I appreciate how hard it would be to adapt your diet to match your hubby's. My dad has a severe wheat allergy and I know how restrictive that is
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Haven't given up or changed anything.
    Except my mindset on food and fair consumption.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything - I just eat less of it now because I know that if I want a cookie today, by Wednesday I will want a whole bag of them so I have ONE cookie today and it's over with.

Although I have given up fried, greasy foods and I cannot eat certain veggies because of IBS but most of the things I want I can have in moderate amounts as my IBS has been under control since I started to drop weight, with very limited flare ups.

It isn't about what you have to give up at all!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Given up nothing. Learned how to focus on nutrient density and not trivial words like good or bad. Gained:freedom!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, and milk for ethical reasons.

Store bought snack foods and breads for hunger control (those foods make me ravenous) and sanitary reasons (they're disgustingly infested with bugs and droppings and who knows what else).

I'd like to learn to make my own bread and fruit based sweets, as well as my own spices. I'm stocking up on recipes and equipment for that.

I've added a whole lot of veggies and fruit I either didn't used to eat at all (tomatoes) or ate small amounts of as sides to a meat dish (onions and peppers, raisins, and bananas).

I haven't bought any vegan dark chocolate yet and would prefer not to, but I'm holding that option in reserve for future PMS cravings.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have not given up ANYTHING except fake sugar like Splenda. I have given up eating for emotional reasons. :)

I have changed the way I eat, however.

- Have milk and 1 sugar in my coffee now instead of cream and sugar
    - I eat before I work out (fruit & yogurt smoothie or a banana) and immediately after working out
    - I eat 4 meals a day - pre-workout, breakfast, lunch, dinner and I also will sometimes eat a snack if I need food. I eat every 3-4 hours now. I usually eat more at breakfast and lunch and then a smaller dinner.
    - I eat more protein and am more mindful of my macros - 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat
    - I have lost the intense cravings I had for sweets. I still enjoy them, but it feels TOTALLY different, like I could take them or leave them.
    - I crave nutritious food now because I am doing so much exercise and weight training that I want and need to eat good stuff. I don't eat junk as a snack. I usually have a dessert of some kind instead after dinner. I never eat sweets as a "stand alone" food.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Given up nothing, just changed my portions and don't eat fast food or junk food more than say, twice a month. And then only if it fits into my calorie allowance, unless it is a special occasion.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've given up marshmallow fluff, pork mince, and beef mince that isn't lean. I've started using lower fat cheese/spreads (except for chocolate spread, of which I'm currently on a kick.)
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    gave up fast food and fried foods .. dwindled down the bread to nearly nothing...additions? almond milk fortified with protein and fiber ..and more veggies and fruit than usual ..

Oh my gosh! I recently went vegan and have been so disappointed by the lack of protein in almond milk, I had no idea so delicious made one fortified with pea/rice protein until I read this! I can't stomach vegan protein powders (bleh, vega one, ick) and have been missing the protein boost from my morning smoothies. Thank you thank you.

But yes, I just went vegan (was already not eating meat) and gave up dairy, eggs, and fish. On top of that, I gave up soda/carbonated beverages and am attempting to limit the number of processed foods I eat. I also stopped eating white carbs and switched my white pasta for whole and ancient grains in most cases. I still love my vegan ramen.

Disclaimer - not advising veganism for weight loss. It has hard to get your protein in unless you are super conscious about it, which is why I'm using this site now :D I gave up dairy and eggs because they began making me feel sick after abdominal surgery. I feel great now, though.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I've given up being lazy, sitting on my *kitten* all day long while it got bigger and I've given up eating massive portions of everything. I've also given up lying to myself about how much I was really consuming.

I haven't given up any of the food I like. I haven't given up going out to eat or fried food or anything like that. It all has it's place in a balanced diet.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Given up indefinitely:
    Soda (diet or regular). Wasn't hard for me and have no need for it.
    Yolks. I'm actually fine eating scramble of egg whites, and don't miss the yolks.
    Fast food. I never ate a lot of it to begin with and would be perfectly fine not eating it again.

Given up temporarily:
    Alcohol. Will drink again, in moderation, hopefully some time.
    Pasta. Temporarily given up, will eat it again.
    Bread. I can't control myself around white bread, pizza etc. so for now it's gone.

Added:
    Sweet potatoes
    Grapefruit
    Always liked smoked salmon, but now I eat a lot more
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've given up eating too much and I've added exercise
  • KCBrue1
    KCBrue1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've given up cooked food for breakfast and lunch. I only eat fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds! I've cut out processed food (aside from the occasional falafel mix).

I have added new fruits I had never tried before, and I love them! I don't think I will ever go back. I have so much energy and feel amazing. Whenever I relapse and have a no-no moment, I really feel it in my gut, and it makes me more determined.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    All my changes are planned to be permanent ones. I don't really feel like I have given anything up completely, but just switched over and started to prefer different things in some cases.

I really do not ever eat pretzels, potato chips, crackers, or packaged cookies. I can't pace myself with cookies and I've never cared for those other salty snacks much so I just don't eat them now.

I used to love ranch dressing, honey mustard dressing, sweet n sour/Polynesian dipping sauce, and mayo. A lot. Like I would eat whatever they were served with (Chick Fil A for example) primarily to taste those condiments. I rarely if ever have any of those (minus mayo which I just eat less of now). Instead I dress up my food with spicy mustard, pickled ginger, kim chi, tomato relish, and/or fresh herbs. I have come to prefer these and they have far less calories.

I eat a lot more vegetables than I used to, especially different types of greens. I have started to develop more of a taste for veggies I didn't like in the past such as tomatoes, eggplant, and cauliflower.

Like most people here, I drink a LOT more water and less diet soda. Although I still have about 3-4 cans of diet soda per week. At one point I cut it out totally for almost 3 months (after a scaled down 1-per-day habit for a year) and I noticed that I had a lot more problems with constipation. That stopped when I reincorporated diet soda 3-4 times a week. I know a lot of people think it's the devil but I am all for whatever works for me!

In addition to having eggs for breakfast pretty regularly, I actually crave eggs a lot and they are often my snack pick when I "could" eat anything I wanted due to a calorie surplus. Also nuts (portions that have been measured carefully of course).

I still enjoy restaurant food regularly, but I don't regard it in the same way as I once did. Before, Starbucks meant an afternoon snack of a big frappucino or mocha. Now it's a possible road trip breakfast option, black coffee and a small pastry. In the past I would eat Mexican food (from good local restaurants) several times a week because it was a cheap option and quicker & easier than cooking at home...now I still enjoy it 1-2 times per month but only for a Saturday lunch after a morning of hiking & errands when I can "afford" the fat/calories and balance the high sodium with other meals for that day.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I would say that the only thing I have given up is "snack" foods. For example, I used to binge eat pretzels, chips, even cookies at work. Now I keep baby carrots and a full waterbottle on my desk at all times to keep from making an impromptu trip to the vending machine.
  • Happygolucky53
    Options
    I have cut out Cola out of my diet, and all other soda's too, (But coke was my main weekness - haven't had any in 3 weeks now) and I have also given up a lot of processed foods. I am trying to make more of my food from scratch so I know it isn't full of added chemicals and other nasties. lots more fruit and veg have been added to my diet and i have swapped white breads and Pasta's for wholegrain alternitives.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing!
    I don't believe food is "good" or " bad". It's just food.

What I have done is learn portion control and moderation.