Kettlebell help

Options
When deciding between two kettlebells, which would be the better choice, one with a smooth handle (CAP brand) or one with the slightly rougher texture (Marcy or Gold's Gym). I already have a vinyl coated smaller Reebok brand that has the slightly rougher texture and don't mind it. I also have a 20 lb CAP with the smooth handle, but it's thick and hard for me to handle. Also, it's still too heavy for me to really test the one-handed exercises so I'd like a 15 lb to bridge the gap and these are my two options. I'm a little worried that "smooth" will turn slippery. Oh, these are all cast iron, not the cement filled or plastic things.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know this wasn't your question but if it were me I'd skip the 15 and maybe get an 18lb(8kg). I think 15 you'll outgrow but if your 20's handle is too thick for you, it'll probably never feel right. Are there used sports stores around? I'd trade in the 20 for an 18, assuming you don't share your set with someone who likes the thick 20.

http://www.kettlebellsusa.com/what-size-kettlebell-should-i-buy-guidelines-for-men-and-women-to-choose-a-starter-kettlebell-weight.html
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There are people who fall on either side of the smooth/rough(er) question. Given that the cost is likely to be fairly small at this point, and that you are likely to need to upgrade soon I would buy one with a rougher handle and see what you prefer going forward.

I use a 45lb Iron KB and a 62lb competition KB and I generally prefer the latter I think as chalk provides sufficient grip when I want/need it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    When deciding between two kettlebells, which would be the better choice, one with a smooth handle (CAP brand) or one with the slightly rougher texture (Marcy or Gold's Gym). I already have a vinyl coated smaller Reebok brand that has the slightly rougher texture and don't mind it. I also have a 20 lb CAP with the smooth handle, but it's thick and hard for me to handle. Also, it's still too heavy for me to really test the one-handed exercises so I'd like a 15 lb to bridge the gap and these are my two options. I'm a little worried that "smooth" will turn slippery. Oh, these are all cast iron, not the cement filled or plastic things.

Any advice would be appreciated!

A thicker handle gives you more grip work.

If developing grip strength is important to you especially (over and above what you'd develop by going to heavier and heavier bells over time) then you can get the thicker handle and force yourself to deal with it.

You'll develop grip strength naturally anyway with a thinner handle, so perhaps it's a moot point. It'll develop more slowly than with fat handle kb's, but it will develop. It also means that grip is not the limiting factor when wielding the bell. So you can go heavier with a thinner handle than with a fatter handle. (There's a kind of cut-out mechanism in the cns to stop you hefting something that could potentially be too heavy, that can be tricked into falsely triggering when grip becomes an issue)

As per the above poster when grip on a bar/kb is an issue, chalk is your friend. Something like liquid chalk for gymnasts/weight-lifters is zero-hassle, zero-mess and can be picked up cheap online. Definitely worth checking out.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not replacing the 20 lb (yet). At this point, I can still only use it for 2 handed swings anyway so I'm looking for a 15 lb for everything else. I'm not ready to snatch 20 lbs yet (I tried yesterday at the store with a Gold's Gym brand) and can barely do a bottom's up catch/press with 12 lbs so I think 15 will be good for a while for things where 12 is too light and 20 is too much. I've been using 12 lb for single arm and 15 lb for swings (though this was a little too easy), but my current 15 lb is one of those cheap plastic, cement filled things that is hard to use properly. (From my daughter, so I had to make a go of it. LOL) Since I'm mostly ready to go to a 15/20 combo, I need a proper 15, then I'll worry about a new 20 when I'm ready to move up again. Though it takes me a while to build strength, so an 18 may come in at some point. As I outgrow them, I'll pass them along to one or two of my relatives who have expressed interest in KBs so I won't feel like it was a waste, but I do need to keep costs down without too much of a compromise in quality. :)

I live in a small town and after having a bad kettlebell experience through Amazon (12.5 lb instead of 15, bad spots on handle), I'm ordering through Walmart so at least I can return it if I don't like it! I did receive a refund from Amazon, luckily, but don't want to risk it again.

I think I'd be better off with a bit of texture to the handle so I ditched the CAP and was going to go with this one, but then read on the link from WalkingAlong that you don't want a triangle handle? Is this what that means? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-15-lb-Cast-Iron-Kettle-Bell-HKB-015/29733536

Or I can wait 2 weeks for this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-15-lb-Kettlebell/27407291
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to any of these brands since I'm in the UK.

Your best bet is to troll around on KB specific forums like dragon door and see what experiences other people have had with the cheaper brands in your country.
  • 50Fit
    50Fit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out strongfirst dot com. It is Pavel's system and the bells his site refers you to are high quality and reasonably priced.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that about a triangle handle.

Alysia Gadsen has great info and free video workouts (on paper, too) on livefitrevolution.org. You have to register to get in but it's free and a wealth of info. She has buying advice, too.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love livefitrevolution! That's the workout plan that I'm following. I've gone through the 1st phase twice as I've increased weight, but I'm going on to Phase 2 as soon as I get a new one! I guess I should have gone back there to ask, but didn't think of it. I remember her guideline as far as size, but didn't remember any recommendations on type. I'll ask there to see if there's any advice.

Thanks for the reminder!