*You've earned 661 extra calories from exercise today

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's the green bean, garcinia cambogia, kale smoothie cleanse you've been doing. THose things really rev up your metabolism, especially since you're drinking them within 30 minutes of waking up in order to ensure your breakfast jump starts your metabolism each day.

Don't worry about it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I can never understand how people think the TDEE method can be more accurate than something you wear that actually moves with you? Surely you've had to make a fairly inaccurate assumption of your burn rate for that? What happens if the class you usually do gets cancelled or you are unable to go but your calorie goal relies on the assumption you've attended? Eating more on exercise days and less when you don't makes perfect sense to me - after all, wouldn't a non-dieter eat more naturally on a day they'd been especially active?

I don't think it's better, I'm just SOOOO lazy I don't even want to have to mess with adjusting my calorie intake day by day. :tongue:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    And this my friend is why a FitBit is so unreliable and a total waste of money.

Screwing up once after a couple of years of excellent functioning makes something a waste of money? :ohwell: I guess he should put back the weight he lost with the Fitbit's help since it's a waste. :laugh:

The pan of cinnamon rolls is a good start.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    FitBit is garbage. I used it for 6 months and it's sitting on my nightstand collecting dust. You want real, accurate calorie burned information? Go buy a Polar HRM and wear it, you'll be surprised how little those steps you take burn all day.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    FitBit is garbage. I used it for 6 months and it's sitting on my nightstand collecting dust. You want real, accurate calorie burned information? Go buy a Polar HRM and wear it, you'll be surprised how little those steps you take burn all day.

You do understand that a HRM is not at all accurate for anything other than steady state cardio, right? So unless you're running those steps the whole day, nonstop, then your HRM is truly "wildly inaccurate."

edited for spelling
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And this my friend is why a FitBit is so unreliable and a total waste of money.

Screwing up once after a couple of years of excellent functioning makes something a waste of money? :ohwell: I guess he should put back the weight he lost with the Fitbit's help since it's a waste. :laugh:

The pan of cinnamon rolls is a good start.

Especially since the ultimate problem in this instance was user error.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You do understand that a HRM is not at all accurate for anything other than steady state cardio, right? So unless you're running those steps the whole day, nonstop, then your HRM is truly "wildly inaccurate."

edited for spelling

This. Steady state cardio or put the HRM away.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    clearly you've worked hard.

have a beer with the full pan of cinnamon rolls.

This woman is wise.

Perhaps even:

terrapin-wake-n-bake-cinnamon-rolld-wake-n-ba-L-MDkv5D.jpeg

Need.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

I've been using it for 18 months. It's rock solid consistent and perfect for assessing day to day activity level.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

This woman is wise.

Perhaps even:

Need.

Indeed.

Everyone, please do not lose sight of what is most important in this thread which is that I need the above-pictured items ASAP.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My FitBit was wonky a few weeks ago when we came back from Italy, it was actually going backwards with my step count. I knew it had to be something to do with the major time zone change, I just couldn't quite figure out what it was. Rather than panicking, I decided to just give it a day or two to let things settle back down and sure enough, the next day it was back to normal.

Good thing I didn't throw the thing in the garbage, put it on EBay, buy another similarly expensive device, or whatever other knee jerk advice I might have gotten had I posted it.

Glad you figured out the root cause of your issues Jof, and mildly amused to hear that the great and powerful Jof makes mistakes (and owns up to them!). You should still eat those cinnamon rolls, but only if you wrap them in bacon first!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I can never understand how people think the TDEE method can be more accurate than something you wear that actually moves with you? Surely you've had to make a fairly inaccurate assumption of your burn rate for that? What happens if the class you usually do gets cancelled or you are unable to go but your calorie goal relies on the assumption you've attended? Eating more on exercise days and less when you don't makes perfect sense to me - after all, wouldn't a non-dieter eat more naturally on a day they'd been especially active?

I don't think it's better, I'm just SOOOO lazy I don't even want to have to mess with adjusting my calorie intake day by day. :tongue:

I agree with WaterBunnie - the FitBit calculates your TDEE for you, and I think much more reliably than the estimates of an online calculator. Either way, it is still an estimate, and so if your daily routine changes significantly, then adjustments in your eating may need to be made. I would just rather have the thing on my wrist sense that my habits are changing and tell me how much less, or more, I need to eat...

I've had mine for almost a year now, and I agree with Jof - I find it to be incredibly helpful for predicting my weight gain/loss based on changes in my behavior (activity level and eating habits). I lost the weight I wanted, in the timeline I wanted, and have since moved to maintenance. FitBit takes so much of the guesswork out of that entire process... I have much better luck than I did when I just went off of the TDEE calculators. Plus I get to eat more food with FitBit. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia band and I wouldn't want to be without it now. I was very confused at first as to what activity level I should use, since my activity varies wildly from day to day (I can be very active some days, but have a sedentary job, and do a bunch of nothing some days). Bodymedia took the confusion away. I now know with some degree of accuracy exactly how much I can eat every single day, regardless of whether I took a long bike ride, walk or hike, or if I just lay around watching Netflix all day. Plus, it's motivating have goals to reach, so I'm more active with it on than without it.

I can't imagine why anyone would object to that?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?

Did you park in NY and walk to your office in North Carolina?

:laugh: :laugh:

Your puppy is freakin' adorable. Want.

Thanks she's a Labradoodle she's no longer a puppy, but I love that picture.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I don't do steady state cardio. A hrm is literally useless to me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?

Clearly you were walking on a mini-tramp and got lost on your way to the office. That's the only possible explanation.

Also, this thread needs more cinnamon buns.

cinnamon-rolls+070.jpg
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

This woman is wise.

Perhaps even:

Need.

Indeed.

Everyone, please do not lose sight of what is most important in this thread which is that I need the above-pictured items ASAP.
    I lost with my fitbit and have maintained quite well with it for over a year... given my variable activity level day to day, I'm inclined to stick with it over any other method. I have a hard time imagining going without it.

That said, I think I would gladly trade it for the above pan of cinnamon rolls.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    My FitBit was wonky a few weeks ago when we came back from Italy, it was actually going backwards with my step count. I knew it had to be something to do with the major time zone change, I just couldn't quite figure out what it was. Rather than panicking, I decided to just give it a day or two to let things settle back down and sure enough, the next day it was back to normal.

Good thing I didn't throw the thing in the garbage, put it on EBay, buy another similarly expensive device, or whatever other knee jerk advice I might have gotten had I posted it.

Glad you figured out the root cause of your issues Jof, and mildly amused to hear that the great and powerful Jof makes mistakes (and owns up to them!). You should still eat those cinnamon rolls, but only if you wrap them in bacon first!

My willingness to admit when I make mistakes is almost as legendary as my awesomeness.

Oh, and also my humility.

So in order, that's:

1. awesomeness
    2. willingness to admit mistakes
    3. humility

But you've been on my FL long enough that you probably already knew this.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    How fat are you?

Clearly you were walking on a mini-tramp and got lost on your way to the office. That's the only possible explanation.

Also, this thread needs more cinnamon buns.

cinnamon-rolls+070.jpg

10/10 would eat
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It will re-adjust them later in the day, It thinks that you are going to walk a ton more than you really are going to.