Drinking While Eating: Yes or No?

Options
So I've seen two opposing thought on consuming liquid(water, for instance) during meals and wondered about your experience and where you guys weigh in on the matter. I've seen these two comments time and again:

1) Sip on water constantly while eating. This will help you fill up during the meal.

2) Don't drink while eating (and 30 mins after, some say). This helps you stay fuller longer.

I'm curious as to what you guys think about this. Personally, I tend to agree with #2 partially because it seems water would help food move through your system quicker, and I've seen bariatric surgery patients 'defy their surgery' by drinking while eating which allows them to eat more(on a documentary).

In exchange for your time, a kitten:
article-2430119-1834aa6700000578-423_634x424.jpg

Replies

• JoeCampbell85
    Options
    As far as filling up, I hear that drinking before you eat is better but, really, I don't think it matters that much. I drink whenever I'm thirsty while I eat. Dieting is already a pain to have to start nitpicking on when I can quench my thirst. I think both probably have minimal effects. Wanna feel full longer? Drink your water and eat a lot of fiber and protein.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I fall into the first category because I drink water before I eat which helps me feel fuller and not overeat. I agree that it shouldn't be a complicated issue because the important point here is to keep your body hydrated for optimal health. The manner in which a person does it is their choice.
  • whatsallthisthen
    whatsallthisthen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree we shouldn't 'nitpick' and 'complicate things' but these two opposing comments are commonly given out as part of overall advice for helping to deal with hunger and meals.

So, I think it's worth a think. I've thought about it enough to ask. Perhaps I should try it out personally, eating identical things at identical activity levels but only changing timing of water intake.
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    Drinking directly after eating does cause food to pass through your system faster. If, say, there was a funnel filled with apple sauce, the drip would be very slow. If you poured water on top of that applesauce, the drip would be much faster.

I would drink before your meals if you're concerned about it and give a short grace period after if you're concerned about it, but it really isn't a big deal. It's mostly a problem with people who have had bariatric surgery.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking water while eating makes digestion slow down because of the acid being diluted in your stomach. My nutrition professor always said to drink water 30 mins before and 30 mins after eating. I've been trying to drink less fluids during meals but I'm not noticing much of a difference with bloating or with weightloss.
  • whatsallthisthen
    Options
    I've heard that drinking water while eating makes digestion slow down because of the acid being diluted in your stomach. My nutrition professor always said to drink water 30 mins before and 30 mins after eating. I've been trying to drink less fluids during meals but I'm not noticing much of a difference with bloating or with weightloss.
    vs.
    Drinking directly after eating does cause food to pass through your system faster. If, say, there was a funnel filled with apple sauce, the drip would be very slow. If you poured water on top of that applesauce, the drip would be much faster.

Both of these sound really reasonable but again conflict with each other. Sure, the applesauce would flow faster- but could diluting the stomach acid keep food in the tummy longer? Interesting.

And yes, don't worry guys, I'm not too hung up on it- I know in the grand scheme of things it makes little difference. But again, my curious mind wants to get a definite answer to this!
  • Robotponysaurus
    Options
    vs.

Both of these sound really reasonable but again conflict with each other. Sure, the applesauce would flow faster- but could diluting the stomach acid keep food in the tummy longer? Interesting.

And yes, don't worry guys, I'm not too hung up on it- I know in the grand scheme of things it makes little difference. But again, my curious mind wants to get a definite answer to this!

I don't know much about the stomach acid idea, I just know (as someone who had the sleeve as a teenager) that the applesauce situation is spot on D; It could, though, be irrelevant in a normal sized stomach.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are studies that show eating water-rich foods like soup and fruit do cause more fullness than their dried counterparts, but that drinking the same amount of water while eating the dry foods does not do the same thing.

So you can't 'fool' your stomach into thinking water is food. I never could. People say they drink water to fend off hunger. Never worked for me. I guess if your hunger is actually thirst or 'bored mouth' it could help, though.

I don't think the gravity effect of pouring water on applesauce in a funnel really applies to a digestive system. If it did, maybe jumping and down after meals would help speed digestion, too. Plus a lot of the calorie absorption takes place in our miles of intestines so how fast food exits the stomach probably doesn't mean much, except we might get hungrier sooner?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I drink most of my drinks either during or immediately after eating. (Like I have a pint with breakfast, dinner and tea.) no idea if it affects my weight loss as it's something I've always done. I guess as kids we were always running around so it was easier to make sure we drank at meal times. It feels odd now if I do eat something substantial and don't have a drink to "wash it down with". :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the kitten! :flowerforyou:

I drink while I am eating and it's water. Helps fill me up so I won't binge eat and it's working a treat.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    First thought: People tend to mistake hunger for thirst
    Second thought: Make sure your water intake is where it should be
    Third thought: This is a very complicated question and whether you drink while you eat or before or after probably won't make a huge difference. I couldn't imagine a meal without a drink. Just do what makes you comfortable and focus on the calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Third thought: This is a very complicated question and whether you drink while you eat or before or after probably won't make a huge difference. I couldn't imagine a meal without a drink. Just do what makes you comfortable and focus on the calories.

This. At the end of the day, I'm going to eat the same number of calories whether I drank water with them, before them, or after them. I feel like this is one of those things that could lead to analysis paralysis in people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wine and food were meant to be consumed together IMO.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I drink water before mealtime to keep myself from snacking "samples" when I'm preparing a meal.
    I drink water during mealtime to keep myself from scarfing everything down in two minutes.

I just have to add that kitten is ADORABLE. I just want to put her in my pocket and carry her around all day. Lol
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I drink a liter of water before I eat, i stay fuller longer and I dont eat as much also
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I drink with my meal, I think it helps me eat slower.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    For me, it's neither:

I don't drink water 30 minutes before eating or 30 minutes after eating (or during) because drinking water will dilute the sulphuric acid in your stomach, which will reduce the efficiency of your digestion.

I've started doing it this way and it seems to help. YMMV.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1) Sip on water constantly while eating. This will help you fill up during the meal.

2) Don't drink while eating (and 30 mins after, some say). This helps you stay fuller longer.

I'm curious as to what you guys think about this.

Both are dumb, and I feel sorry for people who believe they are magic bullets.

d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't have strong feelings about either option. But thanks for the kitten!
  • whatsallthisthen
    Options

I'm curious as to what you guys think about this.

Both are dumb, and I feel sorry for people who believe they are magic bullets.

Ah, what eloquent and valuable input. Bravo dude.