Starting 5x5 tomorrow need ladies advice

Options
2»

Replies

• stardance1
    stardance1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday! I used the olympic bar for everything. The bar was a little heavy but doable for the bench press, easy for the squats, and really hard for the barbell row. The next time it comes back around to Workout A I am not going to add weight for the barbell row just yet but I'll try it with the recommended additional weight for the other two. I am still undecided about whether I should actually try dropping weight for the row. My form was not good.

I highly recommend the app when you're doing it on your own, too. It makes it really easy to keep track of weights, sets, and rest time.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You might need to start even lower.

I used the empty bar for press and bench press, 30 for rows and 40 for deads but for the life of me, I couldn't get my balance right to squat the empty bar. I had several embarrassing attempts before swallowing my pride and practising with a broomstick, then broomstick with tiny plates till I made the empty bar.

Most gyms have lighter fixed bars if you need to go lighter. Remember it's what's heavy for you :)

No need to be embarassed! I practiced form with a shower curtain rod :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    sounds good so far. I'm still new so I'm going 50-60 on bent over row. I just started to deadlift 100lbs.

friend me and keep me posted on your progress. I'm curious too
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    No shame in my game...I started with an empty studio bar that weighed all of ten pounds. It, and some 2.5, 5, and 10# plates was all I had available to me when I started. I didn't want to go get an Oly set if I didn't like it, LOL...Which I did, because I did, and still do...3-4 times a week. ;)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I started with the 45 lb Olympic bar on all lifts except deadlifts, which I started at 95 lbs.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have to also admit that I just practiced squatting with no weight other than my body weight for a day before I started Stronglifts; I hadn't actually squatted in years! Just the act of squatting and getting back up made me really sore at first. But this is the first time in my life I have ever deliberately exercised so it has been a tremendous learning exercise.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    You might need to start even lower.

I used the empty bar for press and bench press, 30 for rows and 40 for deads but for the life of me, I couldn't get my balance right to squat the empty bar. I had several embarrassing attempts before swallowing my pride and practising with a broomstick, then broomstick with tiny plates till I made the empty bar.

Most gyms have lighter fixed bars if you need to go lighter. Remember it's what's heavy for you :)

^^^ This...depending on how big of a noobie you are and how big/small you are, you might have to start really low. My wife started a few weeks ago and she's 5'1"-5'2" and about 115, but she has hardly done anything physical her whole life so we started her really low. She was using 5lb dumbbells for the overhead press and I think started with a 10 lb goblet squat. She just moved up to the full 45 lb bar on everything but overhead press.

I've found this site helpful for trying to determine weights.
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
    Just remember that these are 1 rep max's and SL5x5 tells guys to go for 50% of your max to start off the program or the 45 lbs bar. If you can start with the bar, more power to you, but don't feel that you HAVE to start with the bar...just pick a weight that's not too easy, but not to hard and progress every workout. Have Fun!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strong normally. With grocery hauls, moving furniture, and holding 2 40lb bags of kitty litter. I should be good. If It's too much I'll just use the bar only at first.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie for the most part and don't have enough space in my basement for an olympic bar, so I have a 5 or 6 ft bar weighing between 12-14lbs. I count it as 10lbs. I started 5x5 on the 1st of July.

My weights to start (you are supposed to start light according to the site) were:
    Squat- 40lbs
    Bench- 30lbs
    Row- 30lbs
    OH Press- 45lbs
    Deadlift- 55lbs

I also chose to go this light because I am doing the 30 day squat challenge in addition to 5x5.

Goodluck!