IIFYM HELP!!

Options
Fairly new to tracking macros and what not.
I have previously been weighing my food but VERY confused how to enter my weighted food into this app.
Example: I weighted 37 grams of sandwich meat and unsure how to enter or convert those grams? would it be 0.37 servings?
Another example: A full serving size of greek yogurt is 227 grams but say I ate 109 grams... how do I enter that? like 0.109 servings?
It was not a full serving size so how would I do enter the amount weighted?

I need help for future food I weigh out.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Many of the entries in MFP have the standard serving size, the whole package, and 1 g as options in the "serving size" drop down menu. Choose 1 g as your serving size and then put 109 as the number of servings.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Very tricky my friend..for the yogurt I would probably say that you ate .50 of a serving..that is pretty darn close to correct I think..you did not just eat .109 of a serving..you ate half a serving. Alot of times on here for example...I ate 1 peanut butter stuffed pretzel...the serving was 10 pretzels with the options to change it to 1..sometimes you can do that with grams..sometimes not. I hope this helps...I would also join the IIFYM Women's fb page as they are EXTREMELY helpful in figuring such things out.
  • alxxdom
    alxxdom Posts: 9
    Options
    helped so far. SOME entries allow me to change to grams but others don't and I have no idea how to enter the amount I ate into the app and that's where I get stuck
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight of your item divided by serving size gives you the number of servings to log.

For instance. 109 grams of Greek yogurt (amount eaten) divided by 227 grams (serving size) = 0.48 servings of Greek yogurt. You would log it as .48 servings.

The sandwich meat is harder to answer without knowing the serving size of the meat. Usually it's around 2 oz. so let's work with that as a baseline (though you'll want to check the actual serving size for your item). 37 grams = 1.3 ounces (per Google). 1.3 ounces divided by 2 ounces = .65 servings of sandwich meat (assuming the actual serving size is indeed 2 ounces).
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Fairly new to tracking macros and what not.
    I have previously been weighing my food but VERY confused how to enter my weighted food into this app.
    Example: I weighted 37 grams of sandwich meat and unsure how to enter or convert those grams? would it be 0.37 servings?
    Another example: A full serving size of greek yogurt is 227 grams but say I ate 109 grams... how do I enter that? like 0.109 servings?
    It was not a full serving size so how would I do enter the amount weighted?

I need help for future food I weigh out.

Thanks in advance.

You can divide the 109 by the 227 to get 0.48 and then enter in that you ate .48 servings of the yogurt. The sandwich meat likely has calories listed as "Serving Size 1 slice (22 grams)" (I just wildly guessed at the #slices and #grams here). Using the same division methodology, your 37 grams would be 37/22, or 1.68 servings.
  • alxxdom
    Options
    thanks guys! looking for the math behind it all. just divide what I weigh out to the serving size, correct?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In addition to the good answers you've gotten, a lot of the entries have a 100 gram option, which is great. The best entries (the MFP ones without an asterisk) typically do, and I search them out. If the size given is 100 grams and you have, say, 53 grams, you just enter .53. If you have 253 grams, you enter 2.53. And so on.
  • alxxdom
    Options
    I'm gonna keep and eye out for the g's. Some entries I entered this morning did which was easy and great but some don't. Like syrup didn't have grams but mL... much confusion there for me.

and question... why would I enter 2.53 instead of 253 grams?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna keep and eye out for the g's. Some entries I entered this morning did which was easy and great but some don't. Like syrup didn't have grams but mL... much confusion there for me.

and question... why would I enter 2.53 instead of 253 grams?

If you eat 253 grams of something and the serving size is 100 grams, then you enter it as 2.53 servings. If the serving size is 1 gram then you'd enter it as 253 servings. It's all a function of which serving size you're using when you log it.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    This is basic math.
  • alxxdom
    Options
    makes sense!! thanks Dianne
  • Rose6300
    Options
    This is basic math.
    Too bad they don't teach basic manners where they taught you basic math.
  • Rose6300
    Options
    thanks guys! looking for the math behind it all. just divide what I weigh out to the serving size, correct?

Correct.
  • alxxdom
    Options
    thanks Rose :)
  • Rose6300
    Options
    thanks Rose :)

Happy to help. :smile: