Fractional Plates

Options
My OHP is stalling quickly.

Anyone ever used baseball bat weights (donuts) as fractional weights on an Olympic barbell?

I wondered if the inner diameter would be accommodating.

Thanks folks.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    OHP is a b*tch for progression. try adding an extra rep on your sets if your finding you stall on additional weight. helped for me somewhat

wouldnt know about the baseball bat weights
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It seems that I can hit a certain weight (85 lbs in my case) and form just goes to hell and so goes the progress. I'm in my first "deload" for OHP per stronglifts 5x5.

Sucky suck.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Don't know about baseball bat weights, but some 2" washers will work if you don't want to buy actual fractional plates.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Thank you, I'm Googling the washers now.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Gah, why are these things so dang expensive lol.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Sweeet!! Thanks Sara.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    do you plan on lifting for the rest of you natural life or as long as you can stand up? or at least until your an old fart and simply don't care anymore?

if so, buy the plate. compared to how long you will make use of it, the cost is pretty insignificant. they can probably be bought seperately at ****s and you can avoid shipping or search craigslist.

you're worth it ;) lol
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    do you plan on lifting for the rest of you natural life or as long as you can stand up? or at least until your an old fart and simply don't care anymore?

if so, buy the plate. compared to how long you will make use of it, the cost is pretty insignificant. they can probably be bought seperately at ****s and you can avoid shipping or search craigslist.

you're worth it ;) lol

Good point, I've spent more money on useless items.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    right

plus this will last forever and probably cost a lot less then a weekend out
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My wife bought me these for Christmas -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RP3KY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive, but flexible, and they helped me prolong my SL5x5 progress. I really liked having them at that stage.

However, I don't use them now that I'm on the 5/3/1 program. I'm not sure they were ultimately worth it, to be honest. Maybe they'll come in handy when progress slows on 5/3/1, I don't know.

You could probably approximate the same effect by moving 5x5, 5x6, 5x7 then increment and return to 5x5.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    As an aside, what else have you tried to break the plateau? I do a set of push press every week when I know I'm close to breaking into a new OHP PR.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I have done nothing aside from sticking to the prescribed SL5x5 "deload."

I'm really planning for future fails, as odd as that may sound.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    probably something a well equiped home gym should have regardless
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I was just talking about needing fractional plates this weekend. (which my boyfriend made fun of me for...)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I would recommend push press then. Being able to complete a part of the eccentric phase and a full concentric phase beyond what you can do in a strict press will help build strength.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I got my Fractional Plates from Rogue. Pricey but I use them a lot. I'm sure there's plenty of places that have them cheaper.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

I would recommend push press then. Being able to complete a part of the eccentric phase and a full concentric phase beyond what you can do in a strict press will help build strength.

Had not thought of this. Thank you!