What Is Your Greatest Food Addiction?

Options
Mine is milk chocolate. I can't control myself when it is in my reach. The smell, texture, creaminess, all of it makes me gravitate towards it and not stop. Seriously, if you put a bag of Hershey Kisses in front of me I will nibble away until the bag is gone. The reason I brought this up is because I recently bought a box of Weight Watchers Fudge Bars (only 45 calories a piece) not bad right? But I can't let a day go by without eating at least 2.
What is it that causes such an addiction? Is it mind over matter? I try to never have sweets in the house except for special occasions (company over, dessert. . .) but if I do, especially if it's chocolate, I'll eat it.
For the reasons stated, my company is always the lucky recipient of taking home any remaining dessert.

How do you combat the desire to partake of food addictions???

Replies

• Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would have to say it's a tie between chocolate and coffee. But since I have a chocolate shake with coffee for breakfast I don't even stress it HAH!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    chips, fries anything salty

my brain can yell no! while I polish a can of pringles in one sitting

how I combat it is by avoiding it in public situations and no having any of it at home (ok on occasion when there is a good sale....I'm weak!)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    potatoes (in whatever form they come in!) and bread

doesn't bod well for a low sugar/low carb diet (i have PCOS, so am trying to control the insulin resistance)
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my biggest one, thankfully it's low cal. lol. Chocolate is close and I curb that with a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich every evening. Mountain Dew was the one I made myself give up. 2-3 cans a day, the first week just plain sucked but now I rarely crave it. It's the one thing I have set as totally off limits because it's my binge trigger.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs, in most common forms, candy, cakes, ice cream, bagels, breads, etc.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Lil Debil...I mean Lil Debbie
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cakes and cookies with coffee.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Anything with cheese: pizza, cheese sticks, cheesy bread, grilled cheese, cheeseburger, cheese cheese cheese
  • dixiegirl14
    Options
    Peanut butter, I have to keep it in the house. And strangely, tomato soup. I drink it like anyone would a cup of coffee, though not as regular.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    French fries. I loooooooooooooooooooooooove french fries. ANy kind.. I try to get the frozen ones that I can bake in order to keep me from the fried ones. I believe that it is a combination of mind over matter as well as physiological addiction. For example, if you keep eating the chocolate, you will keep craving the chocolate. Once you have broken away from it, you have to be mentally tough to stay away from the chocolate to avoid starting the cycle all over again. Just my two cents. =0)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    BISCUITS!!!
    the British kind - digestives, hobnobs, custard creams, chocolate fingers...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am a sweets fiend but I am also kind of picky. Surprisingly, I can easily handle a bunch of baked goods, ice cream, and dark chocolate in the house any time without overeating any of it.

But there are things I cannot buy. Oreos. Chips Ahoy. Big bags of snack size chocolate bars AKA Halloween candy. Those would "bug me" and by that I mean, I'd constantly choose them over food with more nutritious macros and feel the need to eat them all within too short of a timeframe. For example...a pint of Ben & Jerry's I can actually eat as 6 servings over a 2 week period. But a bag of mini Snickers? It might last 3 days if I were left to my own devices. So I don't keep that in the house.
  • foodieatty
    Options
    Popcorn and Chips & Salsa.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Candies, any kind but particularly ... sweettarts candies (which i have in front of me as I type right now).
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Popcorn
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.... I have these new (Daim) crispy caramel chocolate things from IKEA... I find an excuse to go to IKEA (more so than previously) so that I can get more of them.... and Fry's... I never leave that place without at least one bar of Godiva (a mere 500+ calories)... its an electronics store... Ohhh and I love chocolate... did I mention that? I could eat M&Ms at my desk at work all day and be happy as a lark. Not with peanuts though. *shakes head* to many calories and not enough chocolate.

Giving up other things is soooooo much easier than this food thing. Walk away and just don't have it. That I can do... but food?! Ugh! Still have to eat, can't just give it up cold turkey. Still mourn daily for being happy with the food I ate rather than obsessing all day about what to eat, not eating, don't touch that, can't have that, wow a taco sounds good, can't afford the calories in the crunchy shell that I love so much. Humm... so I guess I have no advice. I am just commiserating I suppose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How are you defining addiction?

If the question is what causes me the most difficulty in exercising portion control, I'd have to say really good fries. Or maybe naan. I don't think I'm addicted to either, though--I just really like them and they aren't super filling immediately, so it's easy to keep eating and then realize afterwards that I ate way too much.

With the whole thing about not being able to not go nuts when something is in the house, I wonder how much of it is the fact that it's not normally there, so you feel like you have to gorge, since it will soon be gone? I know I'm much more likely to have those reactions with something that's rarely there and tempting and especially might go bad if not eaten vs. something that I know I can have a little of whenever I want it. I also am good with portion control if I portion it out. If I eat it out of the container or have a big plate in front of me, it's easier to keep eating. This goes back to the fries and naan thing, since in the restaurant example there's either far more fries than I consider a portion or naan that the restaurant will replentish.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    BACON!!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • cadillacjames
    cadillacjames Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and honey mixed together. Crave...