Shirataki Noodles?

Options
Amanda42657
Amanda42657 Posts: 45 Member
So a friend of mine has an extra bag and is going to let me try them. Im just looking for tips, advice, really anything. I have never cooked, or eaten shirataki noodles. Please tell me what to do. Thanks

Replies

• fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think those are the Tofu noodles? If so, I just made them for the first time last night. Use them in a stir fry...put in some sauce (I found a good Teryaki sauce) and add meat, veggies and noodles. VERY good! :bigsmile:
  • mskrissytina74
    Options
    They are a great substitute for noodles! Very low calorie!
    I eat the whole bag (40 cal)!
    I would recommend rinsing them very well and draining them to get rid of as much water as you can. I just warm them in a pan (with some cooking spray) and add some pasta sauce and veggies! Nom Nom!!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    hungry girl has delicous recipes using her favorite shiratake noodles, check out this, scroll to the bottom, hungry girl 2.0:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1398
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    it taste aweful with tomato based sauces, cream works better :)
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got a Hungry Girl cookbook that uses these noodles. Where can I buy them? I'm in a smaller area. Walmart/Sams Club/County Market are my food stores.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine has an extra bag and is going to let me try them. Im just looking for tips, advice, really anything. I have never cooked, or eaten shirataki noodles. Please tell me what to do. Thanks

Do you know where she bought these and where I can get some?
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am in a smaller market area too. I have to go to the bigger city and I find them at Whole Foods or any natural food market.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I find them over by the organic, soy and tofu isles.

I always boil them after rinsing, it helps to get rid of more of that funny smell from the packaging!
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    You can find them in major supermarkets...depending where you live. Walmart doesn't have them. I found them in Publix here. Mine were $2.39 a bag.
    You can also get them in any Asian supermarket as well.
    And also online...but they are a little pricey.
    Blue
  • mskrissytina74
    Options
    This is how I found them..

http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki_store.aspx

Hope it helps!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I thought they were disgusting. Not necessarily the taste, but the texture. Too rubbery for my palette. I made a shrimp alfredo (using the hungry girl recipe) and had to force myself to eat all of it. eeeewwwww... I've heard a lot of people love them, but some don't because of my reason.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them. A friend of mine said that they were like eating "stinky rubber bands". Please tell us what you think after you try them. I am curious.
  • Amanda42657
    Options

Do you know where she bought these and where I can get some?

She bought them at Whole Foods they are in the refridgerated (sp?) section.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    okay, so I've seen these on hungry girl for years now, i finally found them in the store, so excited, i buy them, attempt to make them, first off, the directions are weird. they smell like fish. gross. the directions were confusing. i don't think i cooked them long enough. they have a weird texture. ended up eating everything else that was around them and threw the rest in the garbage. i now have 2 more packages in the fridge.
    any suggestions?
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them. A friend of mine said that they were like eating "stinky rubber bands". Please tell us what you think after you try them. I am curious.

TOTALLY AGREE!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I just tried these for the first time today. I fixed them last night and this is what I did:

Open the package and pour into a collander. Rinse VERY well. Put into a saucepot and cover with cold water. Boil for about 2 min. Drain and return to pot. Continually stir over med-high to high heat until all water is evaporated. I then made me a simple tomato sauce with herbs and poured over noodles. I let them sit in the refridgerator (sp?) overnight and today for lunch I warmed them up and added about a cup of broccoli florets and some steamed shrimp. Very good. The noodles do have a bite to them, but they didn't taste bad at all. I was actually afraid to try them after I bought them because of all the bad reviews they got. But I was pleasantly surprised. I ate the whole package too!
  • Amanda42657
    Options
    I am going to try to do something with them this weekend I will et yall know how it goes.
  • mskrissytina74
    Options
    I just tried these for the first time today. I fixed them last night and this is what I did:

Open the package and pour into a collander. Rinse VERY well. Put into a saucepot and cover with cold water. Boil for about 2 min. Drain and return to pot. Continually stir over med-high to high heat until all water is evaporated. I then made me a simple tomato sauce with herbs and poured over noodles. I let them sit in the refridgerator (sp?) overnight and today for lunch I warmed them up and added about a cup of broccoli florets and some steamed shrimp. Very good. The noodles do have a bite to them, but they didn't taste bad at all. I was actually afraid to try them after I bought them because of all the bad reviews they got. But I was pleasantly surprised. I ate the whole package too!

I agree! Rine very well, then boil them in a pan for a few minutes. Boiling might help with the "rubberband" texture. I put some "light Alfredo" sauce on mine with brocolli and or zuccini and mushrooms and sprinkled with a little parmesan and it was Yumo!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I get mine at a Japanese grocery where they carry two distinct kinds: a sort of brownish flecked one that definitely has a bit of a fishy taste, but also a white one that has no discernable taste at all.

I agree that the texture can be a bit odd (but then, the Japanese have a number of foods with textures that are unfamiliar to western palates!), but they grew on me after a while.

I been chopping them up fairly small and adding them to veggie soup-- makes it much heartier and filling with no discernable taste (and cutting them up helps with the texture.)

We also got a package of the shirataki cake--which is the same stuff only in a mass rather than cut into noodles. My husband cut it into small pieces and stir-fried it with a bit of spicy rojo pork, mushrooms and cabbage, and ate it in a taco. He said that particularly with the spicness of the pork, he didn't really taste the shiritaki at all--and that it had the texture of the mushrooms.