Not Working Out For 3 Weeks

Options
I'm going to have a vacation for 3 weeks and probably wont watch my diet like I always do, ill be doing a lot of walking though ;). Will I gain weight/lose strength in the next couple of weeks.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    will you be eating at a caloric surplus?
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Depends on your current workout, type of training, how long you've been training, poundages used, current maintenance calories, the amount of calories you'll be prone to eat etc.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 20 of these 50 pounds with zero regular exercise.

Calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for health.
  • Tisue123
    Tisue123 Posts: 24
    Options
    Ive been doing a p90x/insanity hybrid for 2 months with a week break. its going to be a 3 week 4 days vacation. Won't be watching my diet that much. And also I heard you need to eat at least 1600+ cal or else you won't lose any weight when excising
  • Tisue123
    Options
    So it is technically somewhat a 4 week break
  • Tisue123
    Options
    I lost a single KG when taking a week break I dont know why :P
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    Ive been doing a p90x/insanity hybrid for 2 months with a week break. its going to be a 3 week 4 days vacation. Won't be watching my diet that much.

You'll probably lose some strength but you could maintain it all if you manage to do maintenance workouts on your vacation. (eg: 90-100% of your best poundages x half the reps 3 times a week)

No way of knowing what'll happen to your bodyweight without knowing how many cals you maintain on and are going to be eating.
    And also I heard you need to eat at least 1600+ cal or else you won't lose any weight when excising

That is baloney. You'll lose more with less calories (but there are disadvantages - less room for fitting in sufficient nutrients etc)
  • Tisue123
    Options
    :O so how many cal is recommended, ive been listening to eat more than 1600 cal :l I was trying to achieve 1400 cal tho.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    It's all still going to come down to calories in vs out. If you won't be watching your diet much and not working out I would guess that you will gain weight. It takes a 3500 calorie surplus over maintenance to gain a lb of fat. So if you eat 1000 calories a day over what you burn for 3 weeks you'd gain about 6 lbs of fat. That's a pretty big overage though. If you ate 200 calories over maintenance you'd gain a little more then 1 lb of fat.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    :o what can I do to prevent gaining weight doing small exercises?

*Note Ill be walking for the whole day (7 hours of walking) for my vacation :D
  • WBB55
    Options
    :o what can I do to prevent gaining weight doing small exercises?

*Note Ill be walking for the whole day (7 hours of walking) for my vacation :D

with or without a backpack on?
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    :O so how many cal is recommended, ive been listening to eat more than 1600 cal :l I was trying to achieve 1400 cal tho.

Depends what your caloric maintenance is, then how carefully you're setting your diet ( the lower you go, the stricter you have to be to ensure sufficient nutrition), how much bodyfat you have to lose etc.

500 calories below maintenance is a good rule of thumb (shooting for 1lb loss a week).
  • Tisue123
    Options
    @Wbb55 Sometimes with a backpack sometimes without :p
  • WBB55
    Options
    how much do you weight? how tall are you?
  • Tisue123
    Options
    5"3
    Weight;147 pounds
  • WBB55
    Options
    If you eat 2000 or less, per day, you shouldn't gain weight. Try to add some body-weight training a couple times/week to minimize the strength loss.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid... you're kicking *kitten* and deserve to go on vacation and enjoy yourself. You'll get plenty of walking in... likely put on a little happy weight... will you be at full strength upon your return? As many Heismans or one arm push ups? Nah... but muscle memory will get you back up to speed in no time. Don't stress, just enjoy.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Last summer I went on a seven day cruise. I walked a lot and ate what I wanted -- sometimes three desserts a day. I gained two pounds and lost them within the first two weeks after returning to my normal eating and exercising habits.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat reasonably.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of walking. I just got back from a vacation to Disney World. I was gone for almost 2 weeks, did no exercises except for the walking in the parks. I ate what I wanted, even sweets. I drank a large amount of Coke cola (it had been over 2 months since I'd had it, so I indulged) I did try to make healthier choices, though I didn't count calories.
    I dreaded getting on the scale when I got home, but when I did, I was surprised to find that I hadn't gained any weight. I actually lost 6 pounds while on vacation, eating what I wanted. Walking (mostly with no backpack) was the only thing I did.