Nursing students and Nurses!!!!!

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Fiona. I am a 33-year-old mother of two, and I am less than a year away from becoming an RN-BSN. It has been a long road, full of many bumps along the way.

I have had the teacher from hell who told me I didn't belong in nursing school (as well as multiple other people who have tried to tear me down verbally), and money has been incredibly tight the whole time. Also, since I started back in school (I also have a previous college degree in Journalism from several years ago), my daughter has been hospitalized twice for serious respiratory problems, my son almost got the index finger on his right hand severed in an accident at school, and my kids and I were involved in a major car accident that should have seriously injured or even killed us (it did neither!).

I wanted to start this thread to hopefully gain more friends who are nurses or nursing students. I feel like we are a different group of people for sure, and we would each better understand what the others are going through. Please feel free to add me as a friend on here...Thank you!!!

Replies

• HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    All I can say is KEEP GOING! You know why you chose to be a nurse. You know in your heart what you are capable of. Don't let the trolls in life bring you down. You've got one more year....less than that...you can do this!

You care capable of overcoming this. We all have our challenges in life, some more than others, but they are still challenges. A friend of mine endured nursing school while having major cardiac illnesses. Another had death in her immediate family. Yet another watched her sister fight through Breast Cancer for two years.

Your family, and you, will be the ones who reap the blessings of finishing nursing school. Focus on the reason you chose nursing, about the quality of life your family will have in the end with the job security and a VERY rewarding job for you personally.

This teacher - it is horrible to be putting you down so much. I would probably report the teacher (if you didnt' have to deal with the teacher on a regular basis) for being so discouraging. A teacher should be encouraging, not discouraging. WHile you are learning an incredible amount during nursing school, you will learn equal to, if not more, when you hit the floor as a nurse
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Nursing professors can be horrid *****es. Not sure if they forgot where they started or what, but they tend to have a complex. It is a good start to building the hard shell you are going to need to be a nurse. Let it roll off. I had a nursing instructor talk badly about me when I wasn't even there, for getting married. Something along the lines of "Who plans a wedding in nursing school?" Well, sorry to break it to ya lady, but my world does not stop to be a nursing student haha! I also planned my son and was about 26 weeks pregnant when I finished my precepting. ;-) Sorry to rant, I am just so frustrated to hear nursing students being treated this way.
  • danyulesan
    Options
    I'll be finishing my BSN next spring, very sorry to hear about all that you've had happen and about your professor - it always seems that there's that oneee instructor that just doesn't have a single positive thing to say to anyone. Don't focus too much on it, you're gonna be awesome!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i been a nurse 20 yrs and it still baffles me how horrid other nurses are to their own kind.. it happened to me when i first started ..i dont have those problems any more .. ive turned myself around and my way of doing things and no one steps on me any longer. actually everyone likes working with me and not against me now .. its tough enough dealing with residents and their families let alone your colleagues ..keep moving forward and dont pay no nevermind to crude people . let them live in their own misery and not drag you in it
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN with an Associates degree, and am 3 classes from completing my BSN. Don't give up! I could write a lot of what you wrote, OP. I am 33, a mom of 2, and had a long road to this point. I went to a 1+1 program (1 year to LPN, 1 year to RN). I started LPN year 8 days after my c-section with my first. That year was a BLUR. I had nursing school, clinicals, and a colicky newborn. I took "a year" off before I was going to apply for RN school (it turned into 4), and completed my RN in 2010. I've been working on my BSN part time while working full time, juggling two kids and a farm, and building a house. The end is in sight. I should finish this spring.

Feel free to add me!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student as well! It has been a long road for me. I am starting up classes again in August after a year off because we moved to NC and I had to wait a year to get in state tuition at UNC. I have not run into the issue of mean professors yet, but just keep moving forward. This is how I handle tough runs and tough days in the classroom!
  • Alliern45
    Alliern45 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    RN BSN OCN here X 20 years. It is a stressful job with unique challenges related to consistent exercise and diet. I am sorry your professor is so awful. What kind of nursing do you want to do?
    Allie
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and just got my CNA in January and plan to start working toward entering an RN program for Fall 2015. This fall I'm taking the last couple of necessary classes to apply for the RN programs at my local community colleges. I'm working home health right now while I go to school / work on my fitness.

My goal is to either work with psychiatric patients (my mother had severe mental disorders and it always pained me to see people who didn't understand how to help her) or substance abuse (my mother was also a drug addict). Right now I have a special love for my alzheimer's/dementia clients and get great joy out of working with them.

I'm not an RN yet- but that's my goal. Which is a big motivator getting into shape. I want to be healthy if I'm going to be helping others get healthy, too. :)
  • NICOLEMC1980
    NICOLEMC1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student right now. I will graduate in December after the worst 18 months of my life! I am in an Accelerated program taking 17 credit hours (5/6 classes per semester) except right now I am only taking 5 classes total over the summer split between 2 summer sessions. I am a single mom and recently divorced. I have had troubles keeping weight off since I had my daughter and am at the not happy with it at all.

I lost 40 pounds before I started the nursing program and have gained it ALL back! So frustrated. I was only 15 pounds from my goal. Sigh....

I am looking for motivation to do this weight loss thing, again. Any tips or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi. Nursing for 21 years. Started as a Unit secretary, then did CNA, then got my LPN and finally my RN, am currently working on my BSN and will be done by January 2015. I had incredible nursing instructors for all of my programs. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I lost 36 lbs in 2012 only to gain it all back. I am trying to avoid weight loss surgery so I am giving this a go again, if it doesn't work this time then surgery will be my next step. I will provide any motivation and support I am able to whomever needs it. In return I just ask for the same. Thanks
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Can medical students hang out too? We're all part of the same team!! I'm 28 and just finished my first year of med school. I'd love to have some friends who are also awesome health professionals!
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see the medical professionals unite. Nurses (docs too) are a different breed. I finished my masters 3 years ago and am finally losing the weight. I am still crazy, working full time and teaching 2 part time classes.

We can do it!
  • nurseytess
    nurseytess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here :) Just graduated and passed NCLEX last month, started my first RN job (heck, my first ANY job in a looong time, I was a stay at home mama to 4 boys for 15 years!) I'm working in a skilled nursing facility that is literally 2 blocks from my house, so I'm excited that I'll be getting in some extra walking to and from work ;) I lost 30 pounds and maintained for a year before starting nursing school, and then the hectic life there I gained back nearly 20 of them :( I bought a fitbit one that will be here today, and I'm interested to see just how many steps as I'm running around the unit (I do 8hr shifts, so 5 days a week, and I rarely sit for more than bathroom pitstops lol) I can already tell that having to pack food (we don't have a staff cafeteria) is going to really help me be disciplined in what I eat.
  • JSE150
    JSE150 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I graduated May 2013 with my associates RN degree. I have been working full-time night shift (talk about a world shaken up) and am currently taking BSN classes. I also got married in the middle of school! Talk about double or triple the stress! I definitely gained weight during school! I am in the process of losing that and then some.

The first couple months of working are overwhelming! I have a great support system and, I finally, feel decently comfortable as an RN. Keep up the work!! If you want to add me on here, you can, as well as anyone else.
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize there were so many nurses and nursing students on here! It's great to see so many of you, and the med student too :). I'll be graduating in May of 2015 with my BSN and have a prior BA in psychology. I'm 27, been married for 5 1/2 years and don't have kids yet I work 2 part time jobs; 1 testing infant hearing at the hospital, the other providing respite care for a family with a 5 year old girl diagnosed with Asperger's disease.

It sounds like you had a really rough past year or so. I've been using the song from the movie Frozen, "Let it Go" as my mantra lately, maybe that can help a little. Tough instructors are to be found everywhere, and I believe even more so in the nursing school environment because students and instructors tend to be under a lot of stress. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend on here. We can all make it through with a little encouragement. I wish you all the best with completing your degrees/in your careers and on your weight loss journey. Keep picturing yourselves at your end goals and you will reach the finish line(s).
  • jennylynn_1983
    jennylynn_1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the nurses on here! You can do it! I don't know why nurses are so ugly to each other, but nursing professors should be motivating and encouraging those trying to enter this profession. Don't let her get you down. I completed my BSN right out of high school before I was married and had kids, it was hard! My first year as a nurse was a struggle, but I made it through! I have been a family nurse practitioner now for 2 years and I love it. NP school was also a struggle as I managed to have a baby right in the middle of it! It can be difficult meeting the demands of your family, job, and school all at once, but it can be done! Don't give up! Anything worth doing in life will be difficult at times, but you will not regret becoming a nurse :)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse, but wife is a registered RN, if that counts for anything
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    8 years and counting as a nurse in the Navy :)