Two salad dressing tips

Options
cclala
cclala Posts: 190 Member
1. Dip your fork in the dressing, then stab the salad. Feels silly, probably looks silly, but saves you hundreds of calories per meal, and the flavor to food ratio is spot on.

2. Lemon juice and olive oil. Probably pointing out the obvious here, but I have newly discovered this and it is a GODSEND. The taste of the lemon is super invigorating and both ingredients are great for you.

Just thought I'd share these tips in case anyone else was unaware like I was--salads are only as healthy and low cal as what you put in and on them, after all.

Replies

• mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I mixed Greek yogurt with water and a little mint sauce and it was lovely on green salad and a rice and beany salad.

Thanks for the tips
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great idea with the fork thing. I dip my salad in the dressing on the side but I like your way better! The lemon juice and oil dressing is great. Add a little dijon if you like it to mix up for a different taste.
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a fan of vinegar and fresh ground peppper!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I frequently use salsa instead of dressing. Low cal and you get in more veggies. It is a good alternative when you go out to eat and the place doesn't have a fat free option.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic vinegar!
  • cclala
    Options
    Will have to try that!
  • cclala
    Options
    I frequently use salsa instead of dressing. Low cal and you get in more veggies. It is a good alternative when you go out to eat and the place doesn't have a fat free option.

Omg, good call!
  • cclala
    Options
    Great idea with the fork thing. I dip my salad in the dressing on the side but I like your way better! The lemon juice and oil dressing is great. Add a little dijon if you like it to mix up for a different taste.

My mom's friend has kept 130 lbs off for 25 years....she taught me the fork trick!!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm a fork dipper. I have a little sauce cup that holds 2Tbs. I fill it half full and when I'm finished with my salad I still have some left but I had dressing with every bite.
  • LLP1225
    LLP1225 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for that tip! I love salad, but it seems that when I go out to eat they never have the dressings that I want. They are all loaded with fat. So I will try the dipping the fork technique and enjoy the next time I go out.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I always do the dipping fork technique. Saves on calories and I can still take the salad home for leftovers if need be because it won't be all weird the next day :smile:
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Another thing I discovered recently, for all you "Dressing Drizzlers" out there. I take a little snack ziplock bag, put two tablespoons of dressing in it, then squeeze it all into one corner of the bag at the bottom. Then take scissors and snip off just a bit of that corner and then use it like an Icing bag to lightly drizzle as much dressing as you want over top of your salad. You can control it, it's just a thin stream, and it's an alternative to "dipping" if you're the type that likes to drizzle your dressing on top!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I like the fork trick.

The other trick that I love to use that works at home (and not so much in a restuarant, lol) - is to measure out a teaspoon of the dressing and then shake it over the salad in a sealed container. Great flavor, everything gets coated and only a tiny amount used!