How long before weight starts coming off?

Options
Okay, so I've been at this for a week now, and I know I'm not going to see results right away, but a question I've been wondering about is this: How long does it generally take before you start noticing that your clothes fit differently or that you're losing weight?

Replies

• cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me it takes a few weeks. At about 3 weeks to a month I see real change. Then it halts, frustratingly, and then more weight slides off....it's not a linear process, frustratingly. Also, don't be too attached to the scale, muscle weighs more than fat and salt or water retention can add lbs.

Congrats on your first week, it definitely gets easier!
  • danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Naturally, everyone is different, but if you make a plan & stick to it, you can see the numbers go down on the scale as soon as the first week or two. I just weighed in for the 2nd time & I've already lost 6 lbs. I don't run & I love cookies. I just cut down the calories & try to squeeze in some exercises each day, even if it's just 100 jumping jacks. I still have a muffin top, BUT I notice that the legs of my jeans aren't as tight, so that's a bonus. Good luck!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    o you ever watch biggest loser? You can lose weight right away! To notice a difference I feel the only way is to take pictures. I mean when I was 89 pounds heavier and I saw my before pic I saw nothing wrong ( delusional I know) but now I see it and Im like wow your doing a good job
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    After a few weeks.... when you lose your first 10 lbs you will really feel it....but if you exercise, you will start seeing subtle changes.... it's great... I have been at it for about 11 weeks...and I have lost 25lbs.... I work out...I eat right ....and I don't give up....the hardest is the beginning because you body has to adjust...drink all your water....it makes a major difference....

Keep it up !
  • glittersoul
    Options
    o you ever watch biggest loser? You can lose weight right away! To notice a difference I feel the only way is to take pictures. I mean when I was 89 pounds heavier and I saw my before pic I saw nothing wrong ( delusional I know) but now I see it and Im like wow your doing a good job

I totally agree with this. Also, take measurements if you like looking at numbers. They are way more flattering than the scale :D
  • xxscissorqueenxx
    Options
    Well, after 2-3 weeks. I've noticed my stomach flattening -from exercising! Which is good enough for me! Because I don't have fat hanging over my belt anymore. lol.
    But I've not noticed anything more than that yet. I assume it'll take a month or longer before you actually start noticing a real change!
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    Last time I did it I noticed real changes after I lost about 10 pounds. I think everyone is different and people can be very delusional about the changes - my friends kept telling me you could tell I'd lost weight and I'd go "yeah right" but after about 10 pounds I looked in the mirror and really noticed that my stomach was getting smaller.

I think it's different and personal for everyone really though!
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second week and lost 6 my first week. It's definitely possible to see changes right away. I'm working out every single day though. Not everyone can fit that into their schedule, so results may vary.

Just make sure your eating lots of small, healthy meals. Stay in your calorie range, and if you exercise, eat those calories too.
    It basically comes down to math. You will lose if you are burning off more calories than you take in, but be very honest about what you are eating.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It took almost 2 weeks of faithfully watching the calorie intake and working out every day before I started noticing weight loss. I'd notice it more in how my clothes fit moreso than the scale. Be patient and persistent and you will see results!
  • leahs_faith
    Options
    well I guess I'm gonna start by going and picking me up a measuring tape and taking daily photos to watch my changes...Also, for me it's always been about how my clothes looked on me rather than some silly number. I want the clothes i'm wearing to look better on me, and eventually to move down to lower sizes of clothes! :)
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd measure and weigh once a week. pick a good day that works for you. Gives you something to work forward to.
  • canoekayak
    Options
    Just like what alot of folks have already said, everybody body is different. Some can loose first week others it may take a few weeks. Always keep motivated and see your self as you want to be.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It took almost 2 weeks of faithfully watching the calorie intake and working out every day before I started noticing weight loss. I'd notice it more in how my clothes fit moreso than the scale. Be patient and persistent and you will see results!

Totally agree about the clothes. We look @ ourselves every day, so it is much harder to notice. Clothes however, notice right away. When I first started losing I was blowing through a size every 10 lbs.
  • canoekayak
    Options
    @ - leahs_faith, How are you doing this week?
    Have you measured yourself and taken pictures?
  • dearstarling
    Options
    I have been wondering this too! Because I just finished my first week yday and for some reason I gained 4 pounds! What am I doing wrong?! My app says that I should be at 1250 cals per day to lose 2 pounds a week but then it warns me about starvation mode. I'm a lil discouraged, to say the least :(
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I have been wondering this too! Because I just finished my first week yday and for some reason I gained 4 pounds! What am I doing wrong?! My app says that I should be at 1250 cals per day to lose 2 pounds a week but then it warns me about starvation mode. I'm a lil discouraged, to say the least :(

If you radically changed your diet and workout routine you are probably retaining water. Give it some time. Additionally, take your measurments if you haven't already done so. When I first started my journey, I often had weeks where the scale just did not want to budge, but the tape measure would tell a different story. IMO losing inches is just as good as losing ##'s.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself of a morning after taking a dump lol.
    Youll loose a few lbs over night from water and food during that day, Ive been 4.5lbs heavier of a night then the next morning 8hours later!

Birthday suit recommended and do it the same time of day every time you weigh yourself to get a proper idea
  • dearstarling
    Options
    If you radically changed your diet and workout routine you are probably retaining water. Give it some time. Additionally, take your measurments if you haven't already done so. When I first started my journey, I often had weeks where the scale just did not want to budge, but the tape measure would tell a different story. IMO losing inches is just as good as losing ##'s.

I think you were right! As you can see, a few days later (if that) I dropped 6 pounds so I've lost a total of 3 since I started. YAY! =]
  • RMinVA
    Options

I think you were right! As you can see, a few days later (if that) I dropped 6 pounds so I've lost a total of 3 since I started. YAY! =]

Awesome!! No weight gone for me this week but a half inch off my chest and waist. I'll take it!
  • dearstarling
    Options
    You just reminded me that I need a tape measure to take my measurements and keep track! Thanks :]