Ladies only - question about missed period

Options
Hey ladies,

I just wanted to ask this so I could get people's experiences with similar stuff because everywhere I look online it doesn't really go into specifics.

I just missed a period for the first time in my life, but I started working out about 1.5 hrs 5 days a week doing fast treadmill walking on an incline with 3 lb weights in hand. I realize now this was probably a big jump from not working out much and I am very sore from it all. I have taken a break from it for 4 days and not felt any better.

My question to you all is has this ever happened to you from strictly working out (I'm in the normal weight range but closer to overweight than average)? And I can't be pregnant unless its from immaculate conception haha so that isn't a reason for me.

Also, when you missed a period, did you still have symptoms of PMS and feel bloated, cramps and all that? I felt like it was going to come any minute for about a week and had horrible cramps but it never happened.

Thanks!

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    How many days late? And are you 100% SURE you can't be pregnant??? B/c sometimes people say they can't be pregnant...BUT...

It could be exercise or diet related. If you miss another one, you might want to see a dr.

Mine was always irregular...until I found out that I was vitamin D deficient. I started taking a supplement, raised my D levels, and have been on-time since.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Well I've never been late so I'm assuming its a missed period but its about 10 days late now.

There is no way lol! 100% sure otherwise I would be FREAKING out haha. I will definitely see the doc if I miss another one to avoid the related health issues but I just didn't think I worked out enough for this to happen.

Good advice, thank you I'm going to take some vitamins now
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be from change in diet/ exercise. Our bodies can hold off when we change things up as it wants to make sure were not going into famine or anything crazy.

Make sure you are fueling your body enough. I also find if I eat low fat it messes with mine, so make sure you are getting plenty of good fats.

I wouldn't worry about it too much atm. But if you miss a 2nd then go see your doc to be sure :)
  • nerdchiq32
    nerdchiq32 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have the same question but I don't work out as rigorous or as often. I hit the gym twice a week to do step aerobics and bums tums and thighs class which are an hour each... I work out on the other days at home, i tend to do 15 - 25 minutes of zumba or aerobics a day plus about 45 minutes minimum walk on a mod pace. I haven't done any drastic diet changes except i am eating more and I've added more water fruits and greens to my diet and removed most cakes and sweets and junk.

I started on the day my period was due, but i didn't have any premenstrual symptoms and had forgotten I was due, that was 10 days ago so I am 10 days late.. I've lost 4 lbs during those 10 days so I'm hoping that is the cause but would really love some feedback. thanks in advance
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Since I started exersicing and using MFP I missed my period for three months straight - it was AWESOME. The first month i didnt get it at all, the next two months i got it for half a day, and it was barely anything. I concluded it was from my body adjusting to the new diet and exercise. Just as I was bragging to my sister this past month it came back full force like I was 12 years old again - I guess Im adjusted now :-(. Enjoy it while you can haha!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If you miss more than one at least talk to your or make them aware of the absence. They may suggest slowing down on the exercise a little. This is coming from someone who was always irregular.
    I went two years and thought I was in early menopause only to be diagnosed with PCOS and put on medication. I recently read that "a woman's body that doesn't shed the linings pretty regularly may develop cervical cancer"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my doctor about this this morning (I skipped a couple periods last year, and didn't get one for like 3 months this year) and she said it just happens when you lose weight, because it creates an imbalance in your hormones, but it should come back regularly when you start maintaining. My GYN last year said that 9-10 periods a year is normal (which was totally news to me). I'm having my yearly bloodwork done anyway, but I suggest you talk to your doctor about it if you're worried.
  • xoxsahara
    xoxsahara Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just went through this! For the past two weeks I worked out every single day and my period was two weeks late, it was only when I took two rest days that I got it so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a correlation
  • nerdchiq32
    nerdchiq32 Posts: 20
    Options
    I really hope so. I was diagnosed with Pcos too several years ago but for the past 2 years I've been regular so this kinda threw me off balance a bit. Ok, I guess I will skip the gym tomorrow and wait and see if anything happens over the next few days. I'll just keep to walking for now.
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last month :P I'm assuming my increase in exercise/stress is what its from. I've always been irregular but haven't missed one in a year or so. I also got cramps, headaches bloating etc. but it never came. It's probably our bodies adjusting :)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Significant changes in exercise can change your cycle, especially at the beginning. But 10 days late is not something I would worry about. I was once over 2 weeks late. However, like others have said, if you really do skip it and it doesn't show up the next month either...checking in with your GYN is a good idea.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When stress delays your period, it is usually because your follicular phase (the ~2 weeks or so BEFORE ovulation) is extended. Your body doesn't want to ovulate if the conditions aren't good for making a baby (i.e. a new calorie deficit or strenuous exercise could be perceived as risky & therefore your body won't release an egg). It is very rare for your luteal phase (the ~2 weeks AFTER ovulation) to vary by more than a day or two. Women who's cycles are irregular more often than not having follicular phases that vary in duration; luteal phases tend to remain constant.
    With all that being said, if you are ten days late & have an average luteal phase of 14 days, you would have needed to have started your new routine at least three weeks ago for it to be the cause of the delay. Has it been three weeks? If not, something else is likely up.
    Hope this helps. Hang in there!

ETA: spelling (HARG!)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I went through Basic I didn't get my period until the end of the 9 weeks. I joined the military at a normal weight (more on the low end than the high), and was perfectly healthy otherwise. Most of the other ladies in my company also didn't see their periods for awhile. The female Drill Sergeants warned us it might happen due to exercising and not to freak out. :laugh: If you're worried though, give your doctor a call just in case it is something else.
  • caitlynarnold
    caitlynarnold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I went on a no/low- carb diet. My period was a few weeks late and it freaked me out so badly - but looking back I believe it was the combination of my body not knowing what was going on with such a drastic diet change so suddenly. Plus stressing out about what was wrong or if I was pregnant didn't help either; I've heard that stress can cause irregularity with your period.

Don't worry about it at all, it will come! Just keep up your new workout regimine and I'm sure your body will adjust itself soon.
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I worked overnight shifts for a year and I think the unsettling and readjusting to a completely different "day" and "night" made my body weird. I also have PCOS so I wasn't too regular to begin with but I didn't have a period for like 6 months. I had that feeling that any moment it was going to come so it kinda of sucked and was awesome at the same time. I went to the gyno after 6 months (I quit the night shift job at that point) and got back on birth control pills and that helps me regulate it now. My gyno wasn't at all concerned about the lack of a period. Apparently there's not significant proof that we NEED to have a period every month. But honestly, we're all going to freak out if we don't have one every month, ya know?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time ago, but I've missed one or two maybe ever.
    Maybe not anything to worry about, but it's kinda uncomfortable to miss! You could google for herbs that help stimulate a late period. I've juiced parsley, as this is recommended. It's tricky to juice ( it like to get scattered rather than juiced) so ball it up inside lettuce leafs and push it through the hopper with a celery stalk (that's what I do). I like to juice a fuji apple with it to cover the grassy taste.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you miss more than one at least talk to your or make them aware of the absence. They may suggest slowing down on the exercise a little. This is coming from someone who was always irregular.
    I went two years and thought I was in early menopause only to be diagnosed with PCOS and put on medication. I recently read that "a woman's body that doesn't shed the linings pretty regularly may develop cervical cancer"
    actually I think cervical cancer is primarily caused by the Sexually Transmitted Disease of HPV (Human Papillomavirus).