Protein Powder

Options
I have been struggling to hit my macros as far as protein goes, so tonight I picked up a can of powder from Walmart. I made sure to check the labels on the different options and ended up purchasing the one with the least amount of carbs/sugar (2g of sugar I think) and 30g of protein per serving. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to supplements and was wondering if I made a decent choice or if I need to venture to GNC for my next purchase.

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Is it called Body Fortress? lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I hate sounding like an advertisement but stick with Walmart or go to bodybuilding.com and purchase there. You'll save yourself a ton of money. I ended up stopping by a GNC the other night on my way out of liquor store because I realized I was out of creatine monohydrate (you know, the magic whiskey, vodka and creatine combination), and when I was told a small bottle was $30 I walked out. No F'ing way.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Is it called Body Fortress? lol

It is actually...not sure why that's funny...but like I said, I'm not very up to speed on what the best choices are. That's why I asked for advice.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I laughed because I knew the answer. Apparently, Body Fortress is being sued for alleged amino spiking their proteins.

Here's what I mean: https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/body-fortress-lawsuit

Most companys spike in one form or another, Body Fortress happens to be on the higher than normal side.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Optimum nutrition (it's also pretty low carb) :) they have tasty flavours + you can buy it online
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I get my stuff from Amazon.com. It's called About Time. 2lb container for $30-40. I watch for a price drop and get free shipping. They have plenty of yummy flavors.

Stay away from GNC! They are such a rip off (even with the membership... at least in my experience).
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My fave is the Cellucor peanut butter marsh-mellow, or cinnamon swirl. 25 grams of protein per scoop and 130 calories. Plus it has the best flavor of the ones I have tried. I have not tried the Body Fortress though.
  • kellybee63
    Options
    I use Unjury. It tastes great -- esp. the chocolate -- but you have to order it online. A friend recommended UMP to me, available at GNC, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter is so effing delicious!

But buying Optimum Nutrition brand from Amazon is the best overall in terms of quality, price, taste, flavor variety, value, convenience, etc.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I got plain whey powder - Bobs Red Mill - from the grocery store. You can add it to anything. I make a smoothie with milk, Stevia, and cocoa powder. Also Greek yogurt is high in protein, which I add fruit and Stevia to.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Optimum nutrition (it's also pretty low carb) :) they have tasty flavours + you can buy it online

I second this recommendation. I've been using protein powder for a few years, and Optimum Nutrition is the brand that I've found mixes the best and sits with me the best. I get mine from the Vitamin Shoppe, and the price is reasonable for the quality. I signed up for their free rewards program, and they send me coupons in the mail and via email, so I can usually get a good deal on this and on Quest bars.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    I use EAS whey. Choc and vanilla
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling to hit my macros as far as protein goes, so tonight I picked up a can of powder from Walmart. I made sure to check the labels on the different options and ended up purchasing the one with the least amount of carbs/sugar (2g of sugar I think) and 30g of protein per serving. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to supplements and was wondering if I made a decent choice or if I need to venture to GNC for my next purchase.

The big concern with purchasing low end brands is heavy metal contamination and falsified nutritional information. There have been a number of articles about this, most notably one done by Consumer Reports.

protein-drinks.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. I've used Designer Whey for several months and find the best deals on Amazon.com. But I'm always interested in finding a better quality protein powder if an affordable one is recommended here.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The manager of my Hyvee's health food market recommended NSN Whey. If I recall it stands for New Solutions Nutrition. While we were standing there discussing it, another customer walked up to grab a bag of it and added her two cents. I've liked it so far.