Free to Be Healthy July Running Challenge - 75 miles

Options
mom2rpkp
mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
Who's in? July challenge:

Between July 4th and July 31st, I will:

Jog 75 miles
Do ab work and light lifting or bodywork at meast 75 minutes per week.
Post daily about my progress
Post daily to motivate/support others

Anyone in? If so, let's keep it simple - just post what you've done on this thread, and make sure to ask for support if you're struggling. You can run or walk, or adjust the miles up or down, just make sure it's truly a challenge for you.

Replies

• mom2rpkp
    Options
    Today's progress: July 4 = 1.8 miles. (75-1.8 ) = 73.2 miles to go in 27 days = average 2.71 per day.
  • redhardman
    redhardman Posts: 10
    Options
    Not sure how far it was... alternated running and walking for 1 hrs (mostly run).

I will post a guess for 3 miles. :-)

Good luck and great job sticking your 1st day!!
  • redhardman
    Options
    Almost forgot: my goal will be 40 miles.

75? You're a rock star!
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Nice! Way to go! Better to keep manageable goals - I've shot myself in the foot before by setting far-reaching goals and then ditching everything when I don't reach them.
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    The most important thing in life is showing up. I teach this to my girls, and I believe it. I'm 53-year old single mom to two beautiful daughters, age 15 and 3. I adopted both girls from foster care. I've also had 9 other kids in foster care. One of the most powerful things in all the kids' healing was the power of kept promises. Because adults in their lives were unreliable, they found it hard to trust at first. Rebuilding trust took time, commitment, and consistency - showing up every day, keeping promises, doing the work every day. Now, in order to make sure I can keep showing up - for instance, to be at the girl's weddings without a walker - I need to apply that same consistency and commitment to my journey toward fitness.

You helped today. you showed up, responded to my thread, and joined me. We don't always get to see the impact we have on another person's life. I was sitting here earlier a little discouraged about going for my run - I was busy with chores and didn't make it to the air-conditioned gym, so now have to run in the heat; I'm tired from a poor night's sleep; I've got worries over money that drain me; and I've already worked hard today at chores. Then I got on here to log in my lunch, found an accountability partner in you, and I'm ready to go. I'm pretty sure I would've still gone running, but now it's more fun.

Thanks for showing up! Happy trails!

Bonnie
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Not sure how far it was... alternated running and walking for 1 hrs (mostly run).

I will post a guess for 3 miles. :-)

Good luck and great job sticking your 1st day!!

Woot! Nice job! That's probably about right for your mileage. Do you have a pedometer? Or a Fitbit? I lost my FitBit but now actually prefer my pedometer. You might even be able to get a free pedometer from your HMO or through a wellness group at work. Another way to track mileage is a free phone app or website called MapMyRun.com. You create a map using a MapQuest type image, and it calculates the mileage. One feature I really like is that you can turn off a feature called "Auto Follow Roads." This allows it to be accurate when you are using sidewalks or, in my case, I like to cut through several parks to give my joints a break. After all that, it still doen't really matter - the point is to move, and, over time, move a little faster and a little farther as we get stronger.
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Day 2 - Jog/Walk 34 minutes, 2.1 miles, 19.5 minutes jogging, 14.5 minutes walking. Tired today but felt good to work out hard. Didn't do abs or strength but did lots of chores. Trying to decide if that counts and, hmmm, since I'm sitting here rationalizing, I'm guessing not. I did post some encouragement to others, which is part of my goal for both altruistic and selfish reasons - it helps others, which I like, but also helps me stay motivated

WIMP OUT ALERT - WAIT- REPHRASE: GOAL CHANGE ALERT:: My original goal is unrealistic. - it would require me to average over 2.5 miles every day the rest of the month. I'd like to do that, but may need a day off due to life or the need to rest and avoid injury, So, I'm resetting my goal today to be 60 miles.

60 less 2.8 less 2.1 = 56.1 / 26 days left - average 2.1 - much more achievable.

Have a great Sunday!
  • redhardman
    Options
    Awesome job! Your body gets used to the extra exercise and the energy comes with it. :-) I'm proud of you for sticking!

No I don't have a pedometer or fitbit. I looked into getting one last year but decided I would rather not spend $100 just to see how far I ran. I'm going to have to give realistic guesses. I can look online for the trail I run to get a pretty close guess.

It'll be great to work with you!

For my log today:
    Sunday is my workout day off, but I am taking my kids and dogs to the lake to swim. I never get to sit and watch; I'm always expected to play..so that's something!
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Way to go...sometimes I think that balancing family and fun and prioritizing life is as much of this journey as the logging and exercise. It takes such dedication to stick with a plan that it can become a mini-addiction and it's healthy to take a step back and just live once in a while. I, too, took the day "off." My 14 year old turns 15 Friday, so after church another mom and I took her, 5 of her friends, and my 3 year old to the river for a day of sun and floating and fun, and now the teens are spending the night. I was active the whole time, so I'm calling it good. My nutrition wasn't the best but I didn't overeat. I have to get up real early to go back to work, so I might not even log it. (I teach pre-school special ed, and we have a 4-week summer session so kids don't regress).

I think part of the value of having accountability partners is for that reality check, so that if one of us starts to have two many days where we are giving reasons to not exercise, we can call each other on it.

Have a great start to the work week and I look forward to hearing how we both do tomorrow!
  • redhardman
    Options
    Today I hiked a mile to the beach, then ran up and down it, and swam some laps before hiking the mile back to my car.

Tomorrow is my big day run while my daughter is in gymnastics, so raise a cheer and a blessing for the sleep I'll need!
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Way to go on your run - I also admire how you are using your day-to-day activities as a way to fit in your exercise. Way to be creative! Today I went back to work, super busy so I got in 2 miles of walking there, (which I don't count toward the challenge). Then I got home, and ate too much salty food - I drank alot of water today so was craving salt. That made me feel yukky and it's blistering hot here in Portland, Oregon, so I REAAALLLLLLY did not want to run...but I did. Honestly, the only thing that got me out the door was wanting to set the example for my daughters. Anyway, I did 2.6 miles, really slow abd it was super hard but I feel GREAT now! Happy Tuesday and enjoy your run and the break it provides from your normal roles. Thanks for sticking with it!.
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    so, 56.1 less 2.6 = I have 53.5 miles left to do in 24 days = 2.2 miles per day
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Thought for the day - the power of collective habit-forming. Today was our first day back at work after a break. Several of us went to lunch, and it didn't occur to me until I was out running that each of the 5 people I lunched with had very healthful food, and everyone took some to go. This is a big change from when I started at this school almost 2 years ago. Earlier this year, a co-worker and I started a healthy choices group that met once a week at lunchtime. It was pretty informal, just a bunch of people all trying to make small changes toward better nutrition and moving more. Little by little, the culture at our work, due to the efforts and examples of several people trying to do better, is changing. You never know who your example of hard work is touching. Go!
  • redhardman
    Options
    Ugh! My daughter had surgery very early this morning. I just got back home and am super pooped. I'm supposed to run this afternoon..I think I can, I think I can! You are an inspiration the way you keep it up even when tired. I will do my run because you did, and you are counting on me to keep up. :-) This is going to be a painful day.

Way to go for your run! I will post my miles after my run.
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Hope the surgery went well - I think the worry is often more exhausting than the hours. I only ran a mile tonight - had to run in the hottest part of the evening after a crazy day at work, because I had promised my 3 - year old we would go to the pool after dinner. My legs just did not have anything left - I had done 6000 steps at work. This is one thing I struggle with - how to tell whether I'm legitimately tired or am just rationalizing being lazy. One tool that works for me is that, if I think I might really need to rest, I have to just get out the door and work out 10 minutes. If I feel better after that, I keep up the workout. If I don't, and I have exercised at least 2 of the previous 3 days, I can quit after 10 minutes. I have a tendency toward all-or-nothing and my weight loss has come to a grinding halt for several months twice due to pushing through to the point of injury. Do you have strategies you use to tell when you need to rest?

Anyway, sending prayers for your daughter and hopes you have a great day tomorrow after some rest.

1.2 miles today = 51.3 left to go. I'm really failing on the strength training part of my challenge to myself. Haven't done any, and have rationalized the strength work at my 2 jobs (cleaning houses and teaching special needs pre-schoolers, both very active jobs). But it isn't strength training, time to put on my big girl pants and do the work! :-)

Bonnie
  • redhardman
    Options
    Thanks for your prayers. She is feeling not too bad.
    My lack of sleep lowered my immune system and has left me pretty miserably sick. I tried to run but didn't get very far so I turned it into a 2 hrs hike instead, keeping my log at 37 miles to go.

As far as strategies go I like your idea. It's a very consistent formula. I usually just think about how good I feel after a workout and if I am being lazy, it's enough to motivate me.

My opinion about your strength training is that you are doing an amazing job on your running challenge, and shouldn't beat yourself up for it not being good enough. You know what motivates and works best for you though! For me it would be to accomplish this July goal, then add to it next month/challenge/whatever. If you want a helpful kick in the bottom from me, then that's what I'm here for! :-) Get your booty in gear, my dear, and lift some weights!
    One thing I used to do that you might find helpful is to bring wrist and ankle weights to work. Wear them for a while, then take them off when they start feeling too cumbersome.

Good luck
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Had a bad day yesterday - bone tired and hot and got home late - didn't run. Gotta just let it go and try to get out today.
  • redhardman
    Options
    Sorry for your bad day. Don't completely give up!

I'm off to do my run. Talk to you soon. :-)
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    I'm not - sorry to go AWOL, and way to keep it up. Two jobs, a kid heading to camp, heat wave - struggling a little but have made plans to get back on track - hired a sitter for 3 runs next week since my older girl will be at camp. Still getting a lot of exercise - have a part-time cleaning business which is successful because I work super hard.
  • redhardman
    Options
    I could swear I posted this yesterday, but I don't see it. I ran 3 miles, that leaves me with 34 to go!