Ab exercises

Options
I almost always do not feel any type of ab exercises that I do. I have incredibly strong quads that seems to take over every time I get past a certain point in the set. The best exercise for me seems to be doing crunches on the big ball (I am sure there is a better name for it) as it isolates my abs a bit more than sitting on a reclining bench. Are there other ab exercises I can fit into my repertoire that would not engage my legs in any way, shape or form? I try engaging my core when I do these exercises and I feel like I do a good job doing that, only to feel my quads when the set is up. Thanks!

Replies

• shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why exactly you want to engage your abs in isolation? Is it just for aesthetics?
  • garveyk659
    Options
    More for a core buildup. I do not really care if I have a six pack or not haha. Saying that, I would like to feel like they are in shape and give them the correct amount of exercise
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    crunches are useless
    Do hanging leg raises
    then do ab rollouts from a standing position
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    List the rest of your strength training routine.
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly why you wouldn't want to engage your leg muscles, but bicycles (cross crawls) are very helpful in engaging your abs and obliques. Studies have found that they are an efficient use of muscle activity.