Help for Night Shift worker

I am a RN and I work night shift 7p-7am. I usually get home and get to sleep by 9am until 3 or 4pm. I do work at least 3-4 nights a week. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to incorporate an exercise regimen and diet into this schedule? Also I have been considering the 21 day fix. Can anyone give me any suggestions or help? Thanks a bunch :)

Replies

• 1973mikeg
    1973mikeg Posts: 54 Member
    I sent you a friend request. I work 11 pm to 7:30 am. I just finished my first round of the 21 day fix. down 6.8 lbs and 2.5 inches. I started round two today. I could share with you what has worked for me.
  • 1973mikeg
    1973mikeg Posts: 54 Member
    I also set up my macros and my meals to match the 21 day fix. So each meal is a container. This helps me keep track.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I don't know what this 21 day fix is, but it likely isn't necessary. I also do the 12 hour night shift. Plan meals ahead of time (to keep in my calorie target, I track from midnight to midnight). I have tried to hit the rec center for a short after work swim. I also tried doing my weight lifting before work, because I feel like it would be dangerous (unable to keep proper form) after a shift. Truthfully, I don't feel like working out when I am in the middle of a stretch of shifts. It's exhausting. You can still lose weight while keeping a calorie deficit, and then hit the workouts during your days off. I hope you find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Just eat after work before you go to sleep and then again after you wake up, before work. As for exercise, you said you only work 3-4 days a week, can you just work out the other 3-4 days a week that you don't have work?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    I used to go for a big walk when I woke up from night shift, but I didn't usually sleep any later than 3pm. I used to jump right into bed as soon as I got home (about 7:30am).

My eating was always all over the place. I only used to really eat 1 meal, when I woke up. It was the snacking that got me.

I don't really have any advice, night shifts blow!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I am also an RN who works the same schedule as you. Here's the thing I tell my coworkers: Calories in food are the same at 2 in the afternoon as they are at 2 in the morning. The only difference between a proper diet for someone who works day and someone who works nights is the time in which calories are consumed. The same goes for training and exercise. Things like the 21 day fix only cause weight loss because they get you eating less calories per day then you burn. You could achieve the same results by simply tracking your food here on MFP which has the added benefit of being free. The only trick with night shift is deciding when you want your day to end. I don't consider it the next "day" until I go to sleep. So if I have 2500 calories to eat on Friday, and I work Friday night, I'll count anything I eat towards Friday until I go to sleep Saturday morning. You can pick any arbitrary time you want to end your day. Your body doesn't look at food on a day to day basis so when you pick doesn't matter. Pick whatever time makes sense to you.

For workouts, find a time that works for you. I workout at 2 pm whether I work that night or not. I like the consistency. Some people like to workout after they work a shift. I can't do that. I'm just too exhausted. Do what works for you. As far as the types of workouts you do I would advise you do what you like but that you do at least some kind of total body strength training 3 times a week. This will help ensure that when you lose weight, it's fat and not lean mass. Aside from meeting your calorie goals and doing your workouts, the only other thing you need to do is be consistent for a long enough period of time to achieve your goals. This is where most people fail. That is why it is imperative you find a way to organize your eating and workouts so that it is convenient for you and something you can stick with in the long run, not just 21 days.
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    You really will have to find a routing that works for you. Mine goes like this:

2-3pm-Wake up and coffee. Usually I am not hungry but if I am I will grab a bowl of oatmeal at this time.

6-7pm-Make dinner for family, try to make it healthy. Eat some and pack some up for work along with a snack.

9pm-Work

Midnight-1am-Eat the lunch/dinner I brought.

2-3am-Briskly walk for 30 minutes (I am lucky to have a gym at work but if I didnt I would walk the building) Eat the snack I brought afterwards (usually salad, greek yogurt or fruit)

530-6am get home and dance for 20-40 minutes...whether it be zumba or just sweat

7am-Eat a piece of fruit, greek yogurt and relax

730-8a-Go to bed, end of my day.

I track it like the above as well. It's just what works for me, not perfect but fits into my lifestyle.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks for the advice.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Awesome! Thanks for all the advice. I am giving it all a lot of thought.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    If you're still interested now that it's a year later, let me know. I'll tell you what is working for me.