Does alcohol really inhibit weightloss?

Options
I stick to 1200/1300 a day (unless i exercise, I eat more) and within those 1200/1300 calories is one glass of wine in the evening. I haven't lost for 6 days and was wondering if it was the wine which was doing it even though it is in my calorie limit?

Replies

• fe2o3girl
    fe2o3girl Posts: 14
    Options
    It's not unusual to stay the same weight for a few days so I don't think the wine is a problem, as long as you are logging it accurately. Glasses are big these days, a "standard" 125ml looks like a little splash!
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Haha yup, definitely logging correctly, I measured it spot on. Hopefully drop a couple of pounds at the end of the week then :)
  • minibandit
    minibandit Posts: 77
    Options
    Obviously, if you are within your deficit you should be fine but, I also looked in to alcohol regarding weight loss.

It does seem that alcohol changes the way that fat is dealt with by the Liver. Alcohol is a 'poison' or gets changed in to one by the body. This is then prioritized by the Liver over and above anything else. So fat gets stored away while the Liver deals with the 'threat'.

At least that's how I understood it. I'm no expert. Weather or not that has a knock on effect to weight loss I don't know but, it's certainly something to think about. Also, quantity is probably a factor in that too and I wouldn't have thought one glass would affect things too much.
  • basiabroker
    basiabroker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love my wine! And lots of it. I decided to make Friday night my "cheat" nights but instead of cheating with food I reward myself with a bottle of wine. I log it correctly and typically stay within goal. No harm done, right? Wrong! Wine metabolizes as fat. One night of drinking wine can undo 3 days worth of progress according to the nutritionist I consulted with this weekend. As long as you don't overdo it like me it shouldn't be a problem....but you should only be having 2-3 glasses a week if you want to lose weight. And by a glass I mean 5 ounces and not a pint glass :(.