Eating Out

Options
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times, but I'm new to dieting, 1 month in and doing good. I'm going out to dinner with my husband tonight and have no idea how to correctly count my calories. I would look a little silly whipping out a food scale at the table. I don't think I can accurately judge portion sizes by eye balling. What do you all do? Any tricks of the trade?

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eat well beforehand and lots of water
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I either check the menu or online for nutrition values or just don't log it because without the numbers being provided by the restaurant there is no way of correctly guessing. It's one meal, enjoy it and forget about the numbers for one hour.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    if its a big chain restaurant, look up the nutritional vlaues beforehand so you'll have a rough idea of what to order

if not, order, split it in half and dont worry about it, just count it as around 700 cals. or just count it as a cheat meal, its only once in a month
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the nutritional info before I go. If I can't find it online, I ask when I get there. When in doubt, attempt to find grilled chicken and fresh veggies, hard to be bad with those even if you go over portion size.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I check to see if the menu is online first thing. If it isn't I play a "rule of thumb" game

I try to order stuff I already know a basic count for. Grilled chicken breast has 140 calories in 4 oz (size of my palm). Rice has 200 calories in a cup (size of a fist) stuff like that. That was I can get a general idea of what is going on on a plate.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    Get used to estimating portion sizes by comparing the size of your fist. For me it is about 150 g of meat and maybe 200 g of boiled potato. For things like steak, you can ask the server if he can ask in the kitchen what the weight of a serving size is.
  • tchoo3
    tchoo3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you really wanted to, whipping out a food scale wouldn't be silly. I do it sometimes too haha. But I usually just look up the
    nutritional info from their site. If they dont provide any, I would either get a healthy entree and indulge for the side or vice versa. Plus its only one meal, one meal isn't going to ruin your progress just like one meal isn't going to get you results right away.Think about it this way, are you going to want to eat "clean" everyday for the rest of your life? You will have some days when you will want to eat a pizza/burger/fries etc. I used to over analyze when going out but you have to enjoy yourself!
  • RebeccaMuller91812
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm better informed for a meal out now. Going to find the healthier options on the menu and go from there.