Querying site's recommended protein intake

Options
Hello. I haven't been on for a while. My weight is OK now, mainly because I don't eat a lot (compared to most people I know. But I do like to drop in now and then and assess my nutrition - because the fact that I don't have big portions allows me to get away with eating some junk. I've noticed the recommended daily protein for me is huge. I'm about 63kgs and my suggested protein intake is 83grams. That sounds like a lot, especially for a near vegetarian and I'm sure I remember my last protein recommendation being 40-something. Does anyone else think this is a lot?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm at 133lbs and mine is 82g before exercise. Protein is good, and good for you.

Don't get too hung up on it. I've lost consistently with a goal of 80+ a day. I don't always meet it, but I still aim for a decent amount or as close to it as I can manage for the day.
  • Philoment
    Philoment Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight. I just want good nutrition. I can't eat the amount required for 82 grams a day as a vegetarian. Yesterday I ate good protein sources like tofu, quinoa, mushrooms, cheese, nutritious vegetables. I eat eggs, fish (not every day) ... I felt stuffed at the end of the day and still only made it to 53 grams. And it's like thoughts of what food I have for the next meal is filling my mind all day. I'd like to be a vegetarian, but if I have to stuff myself like that, it's not going to work. I'll have to talk to my GP about it. I can't find anywhere online that says a 63 kilo woman needs 82 grams of protein. Thanks for the replies.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's quite fair to say you "can't" meet the required amount as a pescatarian, more likely "won't" or "can't really-super-easily". I'm a vegetarian (no meat, no fish) and I'm at 102 grams of protein for today. I, however, do eat meat replacements (i.e. use veggie ground beef in chili, tacos, etc.) so if you won't do that it would be more difficult.

Whether or not you *need* 82 grams of protein is another story. I used to routinely eat ~40/g a day and was fine, but I'm more active now and lifting weights. If you're rather sedentary or don't do intensive exercise, I think you probably would be OK in your 50-ish range.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good Morning America just did a segment on this Monday. I believe the formula is your current weight x .336 to get your recommended daily protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight. I just want good nutrition. I can't eat the amount required for 82 grams a day as a vegetarian. Yesterday I ate good protein sources like tofu, quinoa, mushrooms, cheese, nutritious vegetables. I eat eggs, fish (not every day) ... I felt stuffed at the end of the day and still only made it to 53 grams. And it's like thoughts of what food I have for the next meal is filling my mind all day. I'd like to be a vegetarian, but if I have to stuff myself like that, it's not going to work. I'll have to talk to my GP about it. I can't find anywhere online that says a 63 kilo woman needs 82 grams of protein. Thanks for the replies.

Those macro numbers do not work for vegans and vegetarians. As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods, you are eating protein.
    http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/Protein-vegetarian-vegan.pdf
  • Nizzmog
    Nizzmog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is an aspect of the MFP app I find a bit odd - the recommended daily intake of protein for an average sedentary female, on 2,000 calories a day, is about 46g. According to MFP I should be eating 2,090 calories a day to maintain my weight (a task I find near impossible, but that's a different matter), and this includes around 130g of protein?! I am quite an active female, and I have researched and read that to gain muscle the formula to use to calculate how much protein you should have a day is between 0.8-1.1g per pound of lean body mass. 0.8g for the moderately active, 1.1g for the serious bodybuilders. As women don't put on muscle as readily as men, I've taken to 0.8-1.0g per lb body mass, but this number doesn't reach that what MFP recommends?! It's as though MFP is assuming I'm a very active strength building man. I don't usually input my exercise workouts either.

I'm new to MFP, and taking it all with a pinch of salt.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post! It just looked relevant.