"Your Diet Profile" Chart - Question re: Calories Burned No

Options
Hi. I'd appreciate if someone could explain to me the figure listed in the chart referenced above (it's in the My Profile section). The chart lists my Target Daily Calories Burned through normal activites as 1620. I would have thought this number was the sum of my BMR (1330) and daily calories burned through exercise, but it is not . Where does this number come from? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• klabritz
    Options
    Hi. I'd appreciate if someone could explain to me the figure listed in the chart referenced above (it's in the My Profile section). The chart lists my Target Daily Calories Burned through normal activites as 1620. I would have thought this number was the sum of my BMR (1330) and daily calories burned through exercise, but it is not . Where does this number come from? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's your BMR + your lifestyle. Just sitting up burns more calories than lying down. Add walking, typing, driving, etc., and you've got a few hundred extra calories burnt before exercise.
  • klabritz
    Options
    That's your BMR + your lifestyle. Just sitting up burns more calories than lying down. Add walking, typing, driving, etc., and you've got a few hundred extra calories burnt before exercise.
    So I am assuming that the site has estimated for me what my lifestyle is like, because I do not recall adding in any of that sort of data. Is that correct? Also, it appears then that "net calories" really is just calories consumed, less calories burned through activities OTHER THAN normal daily activities, right?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    So I am assuming that the site has estimated for me what my lifestyle is like, because I do not recall adding in any of that sort of data. Is that correct? Also, it appears then that "net calories" really is just calories consumed, less calories burned through activities OTHER THAN normal daily activities, right?

Have you chosen your Goals yet? If you did it with the Guided option, that defaults to a sedentary lifestyle, which will still burn calories because it assumes that you have a desk job. I haven't seen a net calories section yet...I don't quite understand what you're asking in that second question.
  • klabritz
    Options

Have you chosen your Goals yet? If you did it with the Guided option, that defaults to a sedentary lifestyle, which will still burn calories because it assumes that you have a desk job. I haven't seen a net calories section yet...I don't quite understand what you're asking in that second question.

Aha! I remember now that when I filled out the initial profile it asked me to choose a term that best described my lifestyle/level of activity and I left it at the default "sedentary" ( as you mention, I have a desk job). That is how my "lifestyle" was picked. When I say "net calories", it is really my own term (too much accounting at my desk job - everything must be done in terms of "gross" or "net!").

Tell me if you think this is correct: If I burn 1620 from ordinary activities and another 260 from cardio each day, then I should eat a total of 1380 per day in order to get the 500 deficit needed to lose 1 lb per week. Am I getting it now? I hope so and thanks for your help in navigating the site and understanding the terms. I really appreciate it, songbyrdsweet!