yucky green tea

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahpwilhelm
    Options
    Someone mentioned this briefly, but its KEY so I'll mention it again: You prob. burned it. All teas have a temp they brew best at. Its very, very easy to burn white and green teas - that makes them taste AWFUL! Here is a guide: http://coffeetea.about.com/od/teabrewing/a/teatemp.htm The best thing to do is let the water sit and cool for a bit before you put your tea bag in. Also, a good quality tea will make a difference. I love http://www.adagio.com/ - they also sell an electric water boiler that has temp settings for the different types of tea - money well spent if you are a big tea drinker!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned this briefly, but its KEY so I'll mention it again: You prob. burned it. All teas have a temp they brew best at. Its very, very easy to burn white and green teas - that makes them taste AWFUL! Here is a guide: http://coffeetea.about.com/od/teabrewing/a/teatemp.htm The best thing to do is let the water sit and cool for a bit before you put your tea bag in. Also, a good quality tea will make a difference. I love http://www.adagio.com/ - they also sell an electric water boiler that has temp settings for the different types of tea - money well spent if you are a big tea drinker!

Good points! I can't seem to open that page. It's really slow! :(

Btw. Someone else mentioned over brewing too. If you have those Japanese sencha tea bags, there is no 3 minute rule. It is really third rate stuff but can be passable. The trick is to only dip the bag into the water a couple of times. No more or the color will change to yellow (It probably will quickly do anyway..) and what ever taste it might have had, is ruined..
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's the brand you bought. The more expensive ones are generally better. I like Numi and The Republic of Tea are my two favs. Be careful of some of them they are high in contaminates and other toxins.
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was told to add honey to sweeten it. But i've tried several brands of green tea now and can't stand the stuff!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know about the it being good for weight loss....but I drink it every day at work. I just started drinking it because I freeze in my office at work and needed the help to keep warm and didn't want to drink coffee all day ( i would be wired, so I drink decaf green tea). I put a tea bag in my mug in the morning and just keep adding water all day. I have a warming plate on my desk to keep the tea warm. I do add a packet of splenda here and there too. I can't say if it has helped with me losing weight though. Just adding my take on your topic : )

Hah that sounds just like my office! Tea is a great help in warming up from the inside out.
  • mwar056
    mwar056 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Teavana has the best tea out there. Green tea is best when you use the actual leaves, not bags. Take a look at their website. www.teavana.com
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like the Bigelow brand of light green tea. It has a mild flavor and you can drink it without adding anything to it.
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    The Starbucks Tazo brand Green Tea is yummy. It is flavored with lemongrass and spearmint. Stay away from the full leaf green tea from there though...its not nearly as enjoyable.
  • marsbar_0789
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What type did you try? I use the Tazo Green Tea bags and drink it plain...really good!
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a huge green tea drinker, at least 5 cups at night in front of the computer while reading you guys :)
    For those who is not used to the taste you may try genmaicha (popcorn/roasted rice green tea) which has a strong roasted rice taste and smell and still 0 calorie in it.

I'm not sure green tea helps losing weight but it helps to get a better complexion .