Diabetic and need help

Options
I am a diabetic and I am on insulin as well as pills...my doctor have put me on a strict diet...1400 calories a day and 45-60 carbs per meal. Can anyone give me suggestions on food choices, I have to stay away from all white foods and sugars.

Replies

• Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For carbs you can have, try to stick to wholesome carbs. whole grains, veggies and fruits tend to be best, though maybe go easy on the fruit due to the sugars. Try upping your protein intake to help you reach your calories instead. For example, right now I'm eat %50 protein with %30 carbs and %20 fats. I get most of my carbs through veggies each day along with my post workout nutrition.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would suggest contacting a dietitian that specializes in diabetes management, I was diagnosed in 2012 with an A1C of nearly 11%. After I learned how to properly fuel my body I was taken off my meds and have a normal A1C as well as insulin level.

There is so much bad info tossed around about disease management that it really takes a professional that is certified in it to best explain and design a plan to help you succeed.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't eat sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or corn.

Eat meat, eggs, dairy, fish, chicken, veggies (lots of veggies), and fat!

If you're going to eat fruit, eat lower sugar fruit like melons and berries.

Don't drink anything with sugar (e.g. soda, milk, sweetened teas, etc.).
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    oats are good, as is barley, as both are packed with fiber to slow carb absorption. i make my oats with unsweetened soy milk (plain or vanilla) as this is much lower carb than regular milk, and i sweeten with stevia which has no calories. you could also use splenda or sweet and low. i find that barley is delish with almost any dressing - i use galeo's ginger wasabe or ken's lower fat blue cheese. i also like erewhon unsweetened brown rice cereal with soy milk as a snack.

steamed broccoli is good, even when made in the microwave - it's low in calories and carbs, high in vitamin A and C, and also good with galeo's ginger wasabe mixed with a little daisy light sour cream. lean meats or soy burgers tend to be low in carbs and high in protein - i love sol cusine original burgers myself. i have them on a single slice of lower calorie bread with very little or no sugar in it and use mustard, which i love and has very few calories (i use unsalted mustard). i tend to avoid rice and pasta as they're too calorie heavy and put me over my calorie/carb goal per meal.

egg beaters are yummy and pretty much all protein or you could have regular eggs. you can cut up red bell peppers and mushrooms and make a scramble. i hear on these boards there's reduced carb milk, but i haven't seen it myself yet.

btw, i eat 6 smaller meals per day as the lower calorie meals cause less increase in my blood sugar levels, which due to the lower amount of calories go back down in about 2 1/2 hours from the time i eat.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend avoiding MSG wherever possible as well.

Here's why: http://msgtruth.org/diabetes.htm

MSG travels in many different forms and names, so you can check out that site for educational info to help you identify it. It's in nearly ALL processed foods.

Getting off MSG has a very high impact on blood sugar levels as well as appetite.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options

this ^^ but i'll add, LOTS of fat!
    look into ketogenic diet. i have PCOS (insulin resistance) and follow a 5% carbs, 75% fat and 20% protein plan (for the day).
    if you haven't done anything close to those numbers before, start slow! (for example, if you are eating 50% a day, go to 1/2 or even 1/3 first) it's a shock to the system and you WILL feel like s**t at first! i originally was doing 20% carbs 40%protein and 40% fat, and dipping down was hard at first. but you'll get it.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    #1 - Find a good Diabetic Nutritionist

#2 - Test, Test, Test!!! I have an A1C of 5.3 and I still test about 6 times a day. My numbers are good because I test and I use those test results as a guide to what I will eat at my next meal. If my first test of the day is over 100, I eat Zero carbs for breakfast. 3 hrs later I test again, if over 100 Zero carb snack (egg, cheese, meat). 3 hrs later, test again, results determine lunch menu, etc for the balance of the day.

#3 - Educate yourself! Learn what works for you. What works for me or any one else, may not work for you. I can eat oatmeal without much of a spike. I have friends who cannot touch oatmeal. Only way to learn these things are to test, test, and oh, did I say test?

#4 - Take this seriously and work at it seriously. I had an Uncle that just passed away from Diabetic complications. He just decided he wasn't going to do what he needed to do anymore, so his family had to stand back and watch him die. Me, personally, will go out kicking and screaming! I am fighting this tooth and nail. You can do it, you just have to work at it.

Good luck! Please feel free to add me as a friend is you want support and a good kick in the pants!
  • Rmenifield
    Rmenifield Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables, especially non-starchy vegetables.

Choose fresh, frozen, and canned without added salt or fat.
    Include a variety of types and colors.

Choose whole grain foods over foods made with refined grains and flours.

Try to make at least half the grains you eat whole grains.
    When buying pasta, breads, tortillas, crackers, and cereal, choose those with a whole grain listed as the first ingredient.
    Switch from sugary cereals to unsweetened whole grain cereal or oatmeal.

Choose lean protein foods.

Try to include fish twice per week.
    Choose vegetarian sources of protein often such as beans and soy-based products.
    Eggs and egg substitute are also great sources of protein.
    Remove the skin from chicken and turkey.
    Choose lean cuts of beef and pork, such as those that end in “loin” (pork loin and sirloin).

Fruit is also a great option and can curb your sweet tooth.

Choose fresh, frozen, or canned fruit without added sugars.

Choose low-fat milk and dairy.

1% or skim milk, or unflavored soy milk are best.
    Non-fat or low-fat yogurt (plain or sweetened with artificial sweetener).
    Opt for reduced-fat cheeses or cottage cheese.

Choose healthy fats in moderation and limit unhealthy fats.

Healthy fats include vegetable oils, mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, margarine with plant sterols and stanols, avocado, olives, nuts, and seeds.

Some additional guidelines:

Cut back on high calorie snack foods and desserts.
    Reduce intake of chips, cookies, cakes, full-fat ice cream, etc.
    Watch your portion sizes.
    Eating too much of even healthful foods can lead to weight gain.
    If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation. (Two or less drinks per day for men and one or less drinks per day for women.)
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you Type 1 or type 2?

You need to watch your sugars as you change your diet. You could drop real quick. Get to a nutritionist ASAP and they can explain the difference in the carbs.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I second the dietitian idea. When I was diagnosed in 2009, my doctor recommended a dietician and my insurance paid for it. It was a great way to figure out what I can and can not eat.

I eat lots of lean protein and veggies. For a sweet treat, I eat fruit. With my weight loss and exercise, my A1C is now within the normal range and I don't have to be quite as careful, but I still watch pretty closely and usually avoid eating high-carb foods very often. When I want pasta, I usually cut my pasta noodle portion in half and bulk up with "Zoodles" which are ribbons of zucchini just blanched to soften a little. You can use a mandolin to cut the zucchini into ribbons and I think they make some other kitchen gadgets out there that do that as well. I then add a nice big salad and skip the garlic bread. I eat a ton of chicken, pork, fish and lean beef. I love the mini babybel cheeses for a snack - protein with low fat and zero to no carbs. I have gotten really creative with salads. One of my favorite quick, go-to lunches is a Jimmy John's Unwich with the meat and cheese wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. I think there are hamburger places out there that do the same with burgers as well.

One of the absolute best things you can do to control your blood glucose is to EXERCISE!!! Exercise, exercise, exercise!!! I know everyone is different, but exercising is the single biggest benefit to my blood glucose - it makes a far bigger difference than anything I eat, good or bad. I can tell immediately with my first fasting test of the day if I exercised the day before or not. There is a 20-point swing in my glucose between days I exercise and days I don't. You don't have to kill yourself exercising either. I get that benefit from a 45-minute walk around my neighborhood! Just move your body. Exercise also makes you feel good about yourself. It makes it easier to move and enjoy life.

go see a dietician and good luck to you!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not all Diabetic respond the same way so I have to disagree that you have to completely avoid any of the foods listed or any foods in general. I would suggest working with your Endo Dr. and set up an appointment with a Dietician that specializes in Diabetes management. Your insurance (if you have it) will normally cover this cost upon being diagnosed with Diabetes. Logging everything as you go from your meals to your Blood sugars in response to those foods eaten so that you can establish what types of foods cause your Blood sugar to spike and not recover fast enough is the way I found out what foods where better than others in managing my BS numbers... I have never completely cut out any foods, I still eat potatoes, drink milk, have bread, and eat corn, weekly and some of those daily all portioned out and in moderation just like everything else that I eat. I also incorporate both white and brown pasta and carbs into my diet... I eat a ton of fresh veggies, lean meats, and some fruits (bananas, apples, oranges) daily..... I was diagnosed in 2009 with Type 2 Diabetes and had A1c around 11% and since with diet and exercise and losing over 300 pounds have had A1c's average 5.3 for the past 2 years. But my first suggestion is to meet with a specialized dietician and establish a plan of action, that is definitely what work best for me and like I said not all Diabetic are the same, my wife is also Diabetic and eats totally different than I do when it comes to certain foods both due to her response to them with her BS and just flatout may or may not like certain things that I do... Best of Luck
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend avoiding MSG wherever possible as well.

Here's why: http://msgtruth.org/diabetes.htm

MSG travels in many different forms and names, so you can check out that site for educational info to help you identify it. It's in nearly ALL processed foods.

Getting off MSG has a very high impact on blood sugar levels as well as appetite.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Type1 or 2?

Net carb or total carb? My carbs are kept to around 20-30 NET per meal. Net carbs are carb minus fibre = net carb. Meat/veg is my typical dinner.

The saying is "eat to your meter" because what bugs some people, doesn't bug others. For instance, I can have a white english muffin with no effect, but sprouted grains send me through the roof.

Most fruits are off limits to me, but I can handle berries--but not cherries.

Always mix a protein and fat with your carb.

Ketogenic diets work for a LOT of diabetics, but it's too difficult for me so I tend to stick with low glycemic index foods.

Don't know how it works in the states, in Canada you get a dietitian and a diabetes educator automatically. Maybe your insurance covers it?
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a diabetic dietition.
  • Elwander
    Elwander Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the information I really appreciate it. I am type 2 diabetic, I am a picky eater and I believe that is why it is so hard for me to eat the right things. I don't like to eat the same things everyday.
    I test it seems like a thousand times a day my finger tips are sore, but my A1C is 9. I just started seeing a personal trainer to help me with the weight loss part I just really need help with the "what to eat part":-)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you are a picky eater, then keep trying new things! There are so many things out there and so many different recipes. There are a ton of recipe websites. Find one you like and try some of the recipes. If you don't like what you tried, then try something else. There is no reason to be bored. I have never eaten more variety of foods than since I got my diabetes diagnosis! All the diabetes means is that you now have to step out of your comfort zone and get a little creative.

Seriously start with a dietician first though. They'll help you get started and then build on that foundation.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the information I really appreciate it. I am type 2 diabetic, I am a picky eater and I believe that is why it is so hard for me to eat the right things. I don't like to eat the same things everyday.
    I test it seems like a thousand times a day my finger tips are sore, but my A1C is 9. I just started seeing a personal trainer to help me with the weight loss part I just really need help with the "what to eat part":-)

bloodsugar101.com helped me when I was first diagnosed last year.
    My A1c was a bit higher at like 9.6 or something ridiculous like that =S

Anyhow...check it out & good luck :drinker:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any foods and I don't feel like you completely have to. Eat to your meter. It's best to test at least 6 times a day if you are new to diabetes. You need to know where you are how and how different things effect your blood sugar. There is a great diabetes group here on MFP. Join. You can also friend me and check out my food diary. Exercise!! Just like someone else mentioned. That makes the biggest effect on lowering my blood sugar. Even if it's just a 30 minute walk a day. I like doing as much research, etc. about diabetes as I can. I want to be informed.

I've also I have found you get the most advice from non-diabetics that don't know what they are talking about!