Question about Fit Bit

Options
Hi all,

I just started using a fit bit. I am 125, 5'3 - and from most calculations, my BMR is 1250ish. I've always heard not to go lower than 1200 calories a day, and it would be difficult for me to do so - as I've tried and it just makes me cranky.

When using FitBit - I said I wanted to lose weight - and its set up my daily allowance around 793 calories. Actually it says, "You have 717 calories left, out of your budget of 751".

I know this cant be healthy - so maybe I'm missing something?

Let me know if you've experienced this or know what is going on.

Thanks!

Replies

• duscsm
    duscsm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My fitbit does the same thing. However, I've noticed that it usually adjusts throughout the day, based on my actual physical activity. So what it says first thing in the morning as my 'calorie goal' is always different from the number at the end of the day. It seems as if the 700-ish number is based on if you were in a coma the whole day and did absolutely nothing.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What settings did you use when you set it up? Did you tell it you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week? Reset everything to lose 0.5 lbs per week.
  • UK_Gal
    UK_Gal Posts: 25
    Options
    I set my FitBit up to sync with MFP. I use Fitbit for calories, steps, active minutes and MFP for logging food.
    I let MFP dictate my calories and it shouldn't put you below 1200.
    Through the day, I've allowed "adjustments" so FitBit can talk to MFP and help me eat the right amount.
    You're right 700 - 800 is WAY too low.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Fitbit does not have the 'safety measures' built in to avoid eating too low. Fitbit seems to look at where you are NOW in the day - and if its early of course you've not done much. You'll earn more calories as the day progresses.

Here is my recommendation: use MFP for food logging. Set a daily goal for total calories burned in Fitbit and make sure you hit it everyday. As long as you do, then eventually Fitbit will catch up to you in the calorie recommendation.

Personally my goal is to make sure to burn a total of 2150. (This includes BMR, activity thru my day, and exercise.) I eat in the 1400-1600 range. This gives me a 500 deficit and a little spare. The spare covers for the assumption that Fitbit isn't going to 100% accurate.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't have the 1200 floor MFP uses. It assumes you can figure out for yourself what is too few calories and decide to either move more or lose slower.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My fitbit does the same thing. However, I've noticed that it usually adjusts throughout the day, based on my actual physical activity. So what it says first thing in the morning as my 'calorie goal' is always different from the number at the end of the day. It seems as if the 700-ish number is based on if you were in a coma the whole day and did absolutely nothing.
    ^^^ This. The total you get to at midnight is its calculation of your TDEE. Set your calorie goal in MFP, sync your Fitbit and any extra calories your steps give you will be added to your daily total (it's often not very much!).

All your MFP/FitBit questions answered here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users