Best Heart Rate Monitor for Tracking Calories Burned

Options
Im new here so im sorry if this is repetative...Ive never owned one of these gadgets, and i see that the price ranges vary big time...Which is the best monitor to track calories burned during a workout routine? Will it also work during regular strenght training? i.e. using circuit machines at gym?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    No, HRM's aren't designed to be accurate during regular strength training, only during constant non-casual exercise like walking/running/treadmill/rowing/etc. (basically, most aerobic exercises). If you do want a HRM, though, Polar's typically considered the brand to go with. Get one with a chest strap - wrist monitors aren't as accurate/reliable.

If you want something that's designed to track calories all day, look into a BodyBugg/BodyMedia FIT - you wear them all day and they use body measures other than Heart Rate to estimate calorie burn. They're a bit pricy (comparable to fancier HRM models) but it was worth it for me - I love mine!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've seen a quite few people with the Polar brand so I bought one a couple of days ago from Di*k's Sporting Goods, the PT4. I love it. It comes with they chest strap which was fine. I was worried about it at first but I jogged, played the wii and did hip hop abs and it didn't bother me at all.

The finger touch ones weren't as affective. I had two previous to this Polar and they didn't calculate very well.
  • txsjhawk
    Options
    I use a Timex Ironman to track my heart rate during my workouts then can figure out how mane calories I burned based on my stats...age, weight, gender. It does use a chest strap and I agree that they are more accurate than just the watch, especially the low end watches which tend to not monitor your HR when you need it most...when sweaty.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly, get a Polar with a chest strap. I have an FT60 and love it. I also just bought a Garmin for my running.

Be cautious when it comes to HRMs without chest straps and honestly, I've seen some really bizarre numbers coming from Timex/Sportsline users.

Your much better off spending your money on something accurate - get a lower-mid end Polar and you'll be good.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it. They are pricey, but I kept shopping until I found one on sale with free shipping, so it was a little more reasonable. I do a lot of classes like Zumba, etc. so it really helps me to know how much I have burned.

It is also great motivation to pick up the pace when I see my heart rate dropping. Epsecially doing boring stuff like the treadmill. :)
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar. You do have to wet down the transmittors on the chest strap -- but they tell you to do that.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks, great advice!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F7 and just upgraded to the FT4. I am still waiting for it so haven't got to play with it yet. I got it on ebay brand new in the box for $49.99 :happy:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F7 and just upgraded to the FT4. I am still waiting for it so haven't got to play with it yet. I got it on ebay brand new in the box for $49.99 :happy:

FYI, that's not upgrading, the higher the number the better the model, or so I've read.

I had an F4 and loved it, eventually I upgraded to a FT7 and love that too.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

FYI, that's not upgrading, the higher the number the better the model, or so I've read.

My mistake. I figured that the F series was first then the FT series so it was an upgrade. I am pretty sure the F7 is discontinued since I couldn't find it on Polars site so the model up is the FT.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar F6 today. I had been looking at the Sportline 1060 (which was just a little bit more) and I was drawn to all the bells and whistles. I had researched the Polar F6 already and decided to go with that since I know that Polar is such a great brand. I'm glad I did, when I looked up the Sportline, the reviews had not been as positive as I would have expected. The best part about it is that it works with the chest band I have from my old Polar monitor.
  • mgibbons2011
    mgibbons2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hmm I just purchased timex fitness HRM with chest strap I bought this model because it tracks calories. But the directions are hard to follow. I've only tried it a couple times. Not sure yet how to track calories. Bought it for my new Les Pump Workouts...Anyone have any tips on tracking calories with this model??
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    hmm I just purchased timex fitness HRM with chest strap I bought this model because it tracks calories. But the directions are hard to follow. I've only tried it a couple times. Not sure yet how to track calories. Bought it for my new Les Pump Workouts...Anyone have any tips on tracking calories with this model??

Get rid of the TImex.. The calorie counts are crazy on those things. Even if you did figure it out, it wouldn't even be reasonable accurate.

Return ASAP and get a Polar.

OP:
    Polar is the way to go. I started out with an FT7 and just recently bought an FT60.. I love both.
  • dad106
    Options

My mistake. I figured that the F series was first then the FT series so it was an upgrade. I am pretty sure the F7 is discontinued since I couldn't find it on Polars site so the model up is the FT.

Your not mistaken... and that other poster is wrong.

Polar F series is the older models.. FT is newer models. So even though the number went down, you upgraded models.
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Get rid of the TImex.. The calorie counts are crazy on those things. Even if you did figure it out, it wouldn't even be reasonable accurate.

OP:
    Polar is the way to go. I started out with an FT7 and just recently bought an FT60.. I love both.

So this really concerns me as I have a brand new Timex HRM. When I compare the calories burned according to my watch with online calculators that take into consideration average BPM, weight, age, gender and time, there is a HUGE discrepancy. The Timex number is always MUCH higher. I have been trusting this number, assuming that it's more accurate since it knows exactly how many minutes I burned at higher BPMs, but now I'm skeptical.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?
  • dad106
    Options

OP:

So this really concerns me as I have a brand new Timex HRM. When I compare the calories burned according to my watch with online calculators that take into consideration average BPM, weight, age, gender and time, there is a HUGE discrepancy. The Timex number is always MUCH higher. I have been trusting this number, assuming that it's more accurate since it knows exactly how many minutes I burned at higher BPMs, but now I'm skeptical.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?

When I had a TImex, it told me that for 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill incline 15, speed 3.0 I burned 585 calories. Did that same workout with my Polar and I burned half that.

Timex's are inaccurate because most don't take all info needed to give an accurate calorie estimation(IE Age, weight, height, gender and Vo2max).

Return the Timex ASAP if you can.. and get a Polar. You'll be much better off.
  • mgibbons2011
    mgibbons2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Found a great how to on you tube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW3yh8VKuE&feature=share

747 calories burned doing Les Mills Pump Step for 38 minutes...found how to enter my weight and target zone.
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    I'm loving my Polar FT7.
  • marylizzybethy
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7, I LOVE IT!! I wear it for all my work-outs including yard work. Just keep searching till you find a good deal on one. You will love it, trust me :-)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Mio. Its great, no kidding. Bought it at Academy.