Recommended Scale? (MFP App Friendly)

Options
:cry: So I am really down right now about not losing weight or inches after being on top of things for the most part. I've only lost 21 or 22 lbs since starting this last year. I see everyone else making progress and I am stalled out for months and months and months, so I had an MFP friend suggest getting a scale that shows BMI, Body Fat, Lean Mass, etc. Hopefully I will see some progress there, but I don't know which one to invest in!

That is where you come in! I need help... Out of these 2 "smart" scales below that are compatible with MFP and also with Android, which has worked best for you all? Or did you find one that worked great and wasn't on the list?

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale
The Withings Wi-Fi Scale

I look forward to reading your awesome suggestions and recommendations! :happy:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wouldn't even waste my money buying a scale that measures BMI or BF%. All electrical bioimpedance machines tend to be very inaccurate. If you haven't lost weight or inches, then I would invest yoru time to understanding why. Starting with, do you use a food scale, do you log daily (currently seems to be several of your days not complete), and what are your stats (height, weight age), your exercise routine and do you have medical conditions?
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hey mod,

I do use a food scale but I am at work most of the day, have very little time to prep a weeks worth of meals, and I have asthma. It gets pretty bad sometimes, but not emergency bad. I have an inhaler on me at all times... I don't know of any other medical issues, but I have been told to get my bloodwork done and to get my thyroid checked. I plan on doing that. It is just finding the time.

Stats:
    Obviously female
    5'3"
    SW:174
    CW:152-153lbs
    GW:140 then will reassess

I work out 3-4x a wk + a 5k every month + walking/hiking as much as I can. I just started 5x5 and a 30 day squat challenge at the beginning of this month. Before the 5x5 I was trying to work out 4-5x a wk doing cardio and some strength training. No rigid programs. I tried Jamie Easons 12wk program but working out strenuously for 7 days a week didn't seem healthy or right for my schedule.

I'm not lazy, but I have a desk job that I am stuck at from 8:00-4:30. Can't work out b/t 5-8am because I am taking care of my bf's son while he is getting ready/leaving for work and I can't leave the little one playing and out of my sight because he isn't potty-trained yet and will piss and crap himself without telling me and then he will be late for daycare and I will be late for work.

The days I didn't log, I either didn't have my phone or was at a BBQ or something where I didn't know the brand of food, didn't have a pocket scale hanging around to weigh food, and/or was trying not to alienate myself from other humans by trash picking in other peoples refuse bins to figure out how many servings of iced tea are in my cup, etc. I try my best to stay on it, but how I eat when not logging is VERY similar to how I eat when I log.

Thanks for the input. I think I will just save my money then, I think.
  • doowop713
    Options
    I wouldn't even waste my money buying a scale that measures BMI or BF%. All electrical bioimpedance machines tend to be very inaccurate. If you haven't lost weight or inches, then I would invest your time to understanding why. Starting with, do you use a food scale, do you log daily (currently seems to be several of your days not complete), and what are your stats (height, weight age), your exercise routine and do you have medical conditions?

Also, I see you have many more days of not logging than I do. I do pretty well, I thought. I log every weekday and usually on Sundays. Saturdays are always all over the place so it's hard, but I will try harder. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i use the fitibia aria. it works well but i dont pay attention to the body fat percentage.
  • homesbydavid
    Options
    I really like my Withings’ Body Scale WS-50. I have owned two of their scales, since 2010 and I also use their blood pressure monitor. Here is a pic from their app on my iPad:

2akmivm.png

My favorite feature of the scale is the body fat reading. I understand that my body fat reading could be way off. However, as long as the scale shows a consistent reading, I’m happy.

A couple of months ago I had to stop exercising for 2.5 weeks. My weight went up 2-3 pounds and my body fat started to rise. My pants also started to get slightly tighter. That experience led me to MFP. I realized I did not know how many calories I was consuming.

Here is a good review of the Bod Pod vs body fat scales (a 3 part series):

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/bod-pod-consumer-scale-comparison-tests-2.html
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even waste my money buying a scale that measures BMI or BF%. All electrical bioimpedance machines tend to be very inaccurate. If you haven't lost weight or inches, then I would invest yoru time to understanding why. Starting with, do you use a food scale, do you log daily (currently seems to be several of your days not complete), and what are your stats (height, weight age), your exercise routine and do you have medical conditions?

The gas gauge on your car is inaccurate but it doesn't stop you from looking at it to see an approximation of how long you need to go before you stop at the gas station. To say that a bioimpedance device is inaccurate and is therefore a waste of money is shortsighted.

I used my fitbit aria to track myself from 26% to 15% (along with the lbs I lost). Did exactly what I wanted it to do and is perfectly consistent. Could I really be 18%? Sure. But why does that matter? I'm not entering a contest of any kind. I don't NEED to be at a certain BF%. But it did what I wanted...provide quantitative and comparable data.
  • doowop713
    Options

The gas gauge on your car is inaccurate but it doesn't stop you from looking at it to see an approximation of how long you need to go before you stop at the gas station. To say that a bioimpedance device is inaccurate and is therefore a waste of money is shortsighted.

I used my fitbit aria to track myself from 26% to 15% (along with the lbs I lost). Did exactly what I wanted it to do and is perfectly consistent. Could I really be 18%? Sure. But why does that matter? I'm not entering a contest of any kind. I don't NEED to be at a certain BF%. But it did what I wanted...provide quantitative and comparable data.

Awesome, and true! Thanks for your input!
  • doowop713
    Options
    I really like my Withings’ Body Scale WS-50. I have owned two of their scales, since 2010 and I also use their blood pressure monitor. Here is a pic from their app on my iPad:

2akmivm.png

My favorite feature of the scale is the body fat reading. I understand that my body fat reading could be way off. However, as long as the scale shows a consistent reading, I’m happy.

A couple of months ago I had to stop exercising for 2.5 weeks. My weight went up 2-3 pounds and my body fat started to rise. My pants also started to get slightly tighter. That experience led me to MFP. I realized I did not know how many calories I was consuming.

Here is a good review of the Bod Pod vs body fat scales (a 3 part series):

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/bod-pod-consumer-scale-comparison-tests-2.html

Thanks for the great example! I will check out the review link. Congrats on the losses and glad you came to MFP :happy:
  • doowop713
    Options
    i use the fitibia aria. it works well but i dont pay attention to the body fat percentage.

Thanks!
  • doowop713
    Options
    I have the FitBit Aria. I like it. I can't compare it to the other brands but it does what it said it would on the box so to speak. I use a FitBit to track my steps so it was the obvious choice for me.

Nice, thanks! I had a fitbit but lost it :cry: I might get another, though. I liked it a lot.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey mod,

I do use a food scale but I am at work most of the day, have very little time to prep a weeks worth of meals, and I have asthma. It gets pretty bad sometimes, but not emergency bad. I have an inhaler on me at all times... I don't know of any other medical issues, but I have been told to get my bloodwork done and to get my thyroid checked. I plan on doing that. It is just finding the time.

Stats:
    Obviously female
    5'3"

I work out 3-4x a wk + a 5k every month + walking/hiking as much as I can. I just started 5x5 and a 30 day squat challenge at the beginning of this month. Before the 5x5 I was trying to work out 4-5x a wk doing cardio and some strength training. No rigid programs. I tried Jamie Easons 12wk program but working out strenuously for 7 days a week didn't seem healthy or right for my schedule.

I'm not lazy, but I have a desk job that I am stuck at from 8:00-4:30. Can't work out b/t 5-8am because I am taking care of my bf's son while he is getting ready/leaving for work and I can't leave the little one playing and out of my sight because he isn't potty-trained yet and will piss and crap himself without telling me and then he will be late for daycare and I will be late for work.

The days I didn't log, I either didn't have my phone or was at a BBQ or something where I didn't know the brand of food, didn't have a pocket scale hanging around to weigh food, and/or was trying not to alienate myself from other humans by trash picking in other peoples refuse bins to figure out how many servings of iced tea are in my cup, etc. I try my best to stay on it, but how I eat when not logging is VERY similar to how I eat when I log.

When a person is trying to lose, logging accuracy and consistency is extremely important as the average person under reports their calories by as much as 400-500 calories. This easily makes it possible to be eating at maintenance as opposed to a deficit. So when asking for help, that is going to be the number one thing members are going to ask. If you end up having some medical issues, that could bring in some additional questions around your macronutrients. For example, those with PCOS tend to need a diet low in carbs.

I am sorry I don't have a recommendation on the scale, as I just use my basic Homedics. So if you currently have a scale that is functioning, that is why I suggest not waste the money. If you want a scale that integrates with MFP then cool.

Also, FYI, i intentionally haven't logged in lately as I was on vacation. I knew that upfront and knew I would probably maintain or gain a little weight. But just because I did that, doesn't mean I don't under the importance of logging daily. In fact, I restarted today as I have a few more lbs to lose. I do recognize I may not lose this week and will be happy with maintaining. With that said, if you want to evaluate your calories and macros, I can help with that too.
  • doowop713
    Options
    Hey mod,

Stats:
    Obviously female
    5'3"

When a person is trying to lose, logging accuracy and consistency is extremely important as the average person under reports their calories by as much as 400-500 calories. This easily makes it possible to be eating at maintenance as opposed to a deficit. So when asking for help, that is going to be the number one thing members are going to ask. If you end up having some medical issues, that could bring in some additional questions around your macronutrients. For example, those with PCOS tend to need a diet low in carbs.

I am sorry I don't have a recommendation on the scale, as I just use my basic Homedics. So if you currently have a scale that is functioning, that is why I suggest not waste the money. If you want a scale that integrates with MFP then cool.

Also, FYI, i intentionally haven't logged in lately as I was on vacation. I knew that upfront and knew I would probably maintain or gain a little weight. But just because I did that, doesn't mean I don't under the importance of logging daily. In fact, I restarted today as I have a few more lbs to lose. I do recognize I may not lose this week and will be happy with maintaining. With that said, if you want to evaluate your calories and macros, I can help with that too.

I do appreciate your responses. I am sure that sometimes I do not log 100% accurately. Like tonight, I am having mini meatballs that were frozen from an event a while back and will be making a sauce for them from scratch. I'll log the best I can, but it may be off a bit depending on the brand the caterer used for the meatballs. I get stuck in that situation often, but yeah, I thank you for your feedback.

If I find out (I know i don't but) that I have PCOS or something that restricts my food intake, I will lose it. I love food. That is my problem! :) I will get a doc appt when I find time and see if there is anything that is off. I have been meaning to.

The scale was a suggestion from a friend. I was looking at prices and really, I shouldn't drop over 100$ on a scale right now while trying to save for vacation and keeping my credit card at a low balance. I will keep suggestions in minds though. I have a cheapy scale from amazon I use now. I need to check it's accuracy.

I will be on vacation in the Shenandoah valley at the end of the month and will probably not have my phone on me for 90% of the time, so I know what you mean about logging. Hope your vacation was wonderful and worth it! Good luck with the loss. I think before I start tooling with micro/macros I need to get bloodwork and stuff done. I will keep you in mind though if I run into a roadblock.

Thanks!