Giving advice at the gym

Options
MikeInAZ
MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
It's always a touchy thing to give advice at the gym (unless you're a trainer). But last night I was taking a Body Pump Class (high rep, fast paced, lifting). There was a man in the class, a 1st timer, who must have weighed 350-400lbs.

He was struggling for sure. I was standing near him and offered up a couple of tips here and there. He was so large that he couldn't get the bar over his shoulders when doing squats/lunges. So he resorted to holding the bar in front of him to do a squat (well for him it was more of a little dip). I told him a couple of times, "drop the bar and just squat without it". He didn't listen.

At the end of the class I asked him how he did and what he thought. He said it was a lot harder than he thought and that his back was hurting. I said "yeah you can't do squats with a bar in-front of you, that's a back exercise".

I thought the instructor was doing him a disservice by not correcting his form. The girl teaching is young, energetic, and up beat. She knew it was his 1st time. She should have said something.

Well I hope he sticks with it, and I hope he listens to my advice.

When you see an obvious noob in the gym do you offer advice? Ot just let them figure it out?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt, most of the time people think they know better.

though the situation you are talking about, front squats are a thing, you hold the bar in a similar position to the start of an OHP. they are a pain in the *kitten* though, i hate front squats
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The thing is, how does the noob know that you give trustworthy advice? From his point of view, the instructor, who one would imagine is supposed to know her stuff, had declined to correct him. Why should he listen to you? How does he know that you're not giving poor advice? It may have seemed like wimping out to him to drop the bar? Plus at this point in his fitness, does it really matter if he's doing a back exercise rather than a squat? Maybe that's why the instructor didn't correct him. Rather than call out the very obese 1st timer and possibly embarrass him and discourage him from coming back, she let him do the back exercise, especially if what he was doing wasn't dangerous.

I'm still the noob and generally I prefer people leave me alone unless I'm doing something that's gonna get me hurt. Mostly just because I can't tell who knows what they're talking about and who's full of gym myths.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've spoken up a few times when seeing people use horrible form to the point that it looks like they're going to hurt themselves. Especailly bad deadlift form - it hurts my back just watching them

Classes are hard as there are too many people to keep track of and those Les Mills classes are even tougher on the instructor. One of my friends does those group classes and every few weeks, they have to learn a new routine and have it memorized so it follows the guidelines exactly. It's fun but a lot of hard work...

You could mention it to the instructor and see if she could recommend a better class for him so he gets the form down better? Or maybe he could come in early or stay late to go through the basics? I feel bad for beginners like that because if they end up hurting bad after they work out, they're more likely to just give up. Hope that's not the case and you see him again!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's always a touchy thing to give advice at the gym (unless you're a trainer).

I thought the instructor was doing him a disservice by not correcting his form. The girl teaching is young, energetic, and up beat. She knew it was his 1st time. She should have said something.

I agree with what you say above. In a class type situation, it's best to leave the instructing to the instructor.

I would guess if the instructor knew it was his first time, she was trying to not overwhelm or embarrass him by constantly correcting him during class. It's a matter of preference too. Personally, I prefer an instructor who offers helpful corrections, but isn't all over me when it's obvious that I'm trying my best, but just can't nail a particular exercise/pose that day.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I personally would never come back to a class if a fellow student was giving me unsolicited advice, even if they were right. For some people it takes a lot of courage to try a new group fitness class and the only way I can psych myself up to go is to tell myself that "no one will be paying attention to me."

Not everyone feels that way, but that's my perspective.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten*, everyone has one and no one wants to hear your out loud, even if the sun shines out of it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's a class. The instructor is there for a reason.

It is never (EXTREMELY rare) appropriate in a class to correct someone. If you feel like the instructor needs to be doing a better job instructing- then you need to tell HER. SHE needs to explain- if you are struggling- drop the weight- or if you cannot do it this way- modify it and do it THAT way.

At 300 plus pounds- odds are SOMETHING (everything) is going to hurt in a class like that- I see nothing wrong with holding the bar in front of him for a squat- it's perfectly legitimate to do that- he may not have known how or why- but he was trying. So good for him.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    When you see an obvious noob in the gym do you offer advice? Ot just let them figure it out?
    Never unsolicited.

Although, the best advice I got in the gym was unsolicited. This was way back, I was still a teenager. A jock from one of the local HS took me under his wing for a whole workout that day and not only showed me how to do many movements, but in a few seconds gave me a whole plan to follow. I had no clue when I was 15 what the hell I was doing.

That changed my life.

I see kids in the gym now lifting and they remind me of me three decades ago and I just want to help, but never do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I know you meant well, but unsolicited advice is never welcome IMO. I have been quite annoyed a time or two by guys who want to correct something I am doing. Telling me 'I am using the machine wrong, no offense' type of thing, when I actually know what I am doing haven been a personal trainer. The fact that the guy in your class kept doing it the wrong way means he didn't want your advice.

Your best bet would have been to mention it to the instructor, and then just dropped it.

I haven't seen you posting in awhile - welcome back! :drinker:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Unless people ask for advice I don't offer it. If I went around telling people they're wrong all the time, they'd probably not even show up. And who am I to tell some random person what to do anyway? I don't really care what they do unless they ask. Now the trainer, should be explaining what exercises do and how to do them in the first place though.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Its a hard one. The wrong form can cause all sorts of problems and can be hard for someone to see especially if they are new. I think in this case i would have had a word with a class leader.

I know that i would want bad form pointed out but have also been at the end of unwanted advice from someone who did not know my situation and it pissed me off. I had been struggling to do certain exercises in a class and afterwards was discussing different fitness DVDs with the instructor when a newbie told me I would not be able to it as I'd struggled in class. What she did not know was that I had a badly broken toe and the reason I could not plank or do burpees was because it hurt to much not because I was unable to do it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    In for discussion. Just today I asked someone "Excuse me, do you mind if I give you a couple of pointers on your front squat" and his reply was "Yeah, sure". Now his squat is much more upright :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence on this one.

I get that people are embarrassed and/or defensive if someone other than someone they perceive as a professional gives them advice. And, that they wouldn't know enough to understand that you are legit, not trying to be nasty or nitpick-y, and are trying to keep them from hurting themselves. So they probably won't do what you say anyway.

But if it were me, I also wouldn't want to be twitting around wasting my time and getting myself hurt. I'd rather feel like an idiot for a couple of minutes. So, after I checked up on whatever you told me, I would appreciate the help.

At my gym, I personally see a couple of regulars who appear to be injuries waiting to happen. And this is said as someone who is new to lifting and knows very little about form, which is why I never say anything. Who knows if they're doing some off-the-wall variation that I just don't know about? But the girl who backs into the bar to unrack/rack it, squats about 1/4 of the way down, way up on her toes, half-way good mornings out of it with a hop/stagger at the end - can't possibly be doing it right. Right?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i would also suggest to talk to the instructor and allow her to correct the form if she thinks its necessairy.

it will help her become a better instructor and also help the guy out in a less embarassing (for lack of a better term) way

i'd also ad that if you think the instructor is a hack then take a different class
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The one time I got some unsolicited advice from a loud obnoxious dude, I was totally annoyed and somewhat embarrassed. He wasn't exactly discreet and he was loudly correcting me in front of a lot of people. However, I did listen to him and now my squat form is much better! I think it's okay to offer unsolicited advice as long as it's done tactfully. Sounds like you struck a good, respectful balance.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Nah. Giving unsolicited advice is presumptuous and a touch arrogant. Generally I think it's done to make the giver feel like a big man.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times, but only because their form was so horrendously terrible that I thought 911 was a sure bet. I always try to be polite and helpful about it, and it's never been ill-received.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    no, i just look and laugh internally (when people do quarter squats with an arched back, or swing weights wierdly)
    i know if someone watched me on my last work set for squats they'd notice poor form, and i'd tell them to f off.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    In for discussion. Just today I asked someone "Excuse me, do you mind if I give you a couple of pointers on your front squat" and his reply was "Yeah, sure". Now his squat is much more upright :smile:
    [/quote
    ] This is true help where they can get hurt if instructor isn't is not bad they might actually look for mentor and it might make them feel more comfortable I hate unsolisited at times but if you approach in this manner it can open a great door and path to learning.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My daughter and i took a body pump class and a lady corrected her form. My daughter didnt like it one bit, she told me afterwards that she liked the class but could have done without the " mother hen ". I was just happy she wasnt talking about me. I on the other hand am doing some things new to me lifting wise and i hope someone will help me if im about to hurt myself. And a nice man came and helped me when he saw me struggling with the clamps on the barbell i really appreciated it. I think too every region and gym is a gonna be different. I think at the ymca where i go now is more family like than maybe a chain type fitness center in a big city. Age is also a factor, older people seem more inclined to offer advice.I think if its keep short and to the point said with a smile most people wont mind.