Running VS. Elliptical

Options
So I just bought an elliptical and I noticed that it burns way more calories then running! Why is that? Why can I run and run and get tired soooo fast but then get on an elliptical and barley brake a sweat and burn more calories?!?!

Replies

• suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You must be in GREAT shape - because the elliptical seriously kicks my butt!!! LOL! :-)
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    for me, it different, so many muscles are used on them, I get tired very easy.
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    it might not be accurate, you need a heart rate moniter to see how many calories your body is really burning, for my opinion.
    When I do a half hour on the elip I burn about 300 calories, but when I enter in my exercise log and put in 30 mins it says I should burn like 400something cals....so who really knows. People have suggested I get a HRM also!

I would think the running would be more calories burned, when I run I sweat my *kitten* off (not that I do run, but I should start lol) :wink:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is designed to take the gravity out of the equation, so it really feels like less work. It also adds resistance like going up stairs to engage your big muscles more, which increases the heart rate. I use a HRM (hopefully you do too) and noticed I can be at the same heart rate as I am doing kickboxing and jumping, etc, but not "feel" it as much. I love it, but don't own one, unfortunately, just go to my apartment gym.

Congrats!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor? Or just going by what the machine says? When I use the elliptical at the gym, it senses and uses my heart rate monitor, but it still says that I burn WAY more calories than what my heart rate monitor says I do. So, I go by what my hrm says.
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Oh i'm not in shape, trust me! haha. Heart rate moniter? Can you buy that at like walmart? what exactly is it? And yes i just go buy what it says on the machine.
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Is a pedometer the same thing?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    pedometer measures how many steps you take. A heart rate monitor tracks the rate of your heart during exercise. So, it's monitoring how hard YOU are working (not using an average like most calculators do). The hrm will factors in your height, weight and heart rate and tells you how many calories you burn. I highly suggest getting one. It will come with a chest strap and a watch. There are some with no chest strap, but I tried one and ended up returning it because it had trouble giving me a reading most of hte time.
  • worldtravelista
    worldtravelista Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Excellent post -- I've been wondering the same as well.

I don't have a HRM, and really don't want to wear a chest strap.

BUT.... I'm burning considerably more calories on the Elliptical and barely breaking a sweat, whereas when I'm jogging 5.3mph I am sweating and feel like I'm getting a better workout. My body gets tired running... but not so much on the elliptical.

So... if i'm sweating more by jogging but burning more calories on the elliptical -- - which is better for me?? (My goal is weight loss.)
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor? Or just going by what the machine says? When I use the elliptical at the gym, it senses and uses my heart rate monitor, but it still says that I burn WAY more calories than what my heart rate monitor says I do. So, I go by what my hrm says.

exactly my thoughts! once I got mine, it was an eye opener how many calories I thought I was burning but was not!
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

exactly my thoughts! once I got mine, it was an eye opener how many calories I thought I was burning but was not!
  • pinkprincessmama
    pinkprincessmama Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Excellent post -- I've been wondering the same as well.

I don't have a HRM, and really don't want to wear a chest strap.

BUT.... I'm burning considerably more calories on the Elliptical and barely breaking a sweat, whereas when I'm jogging 5.3mph I am sweating and feel like I'm getting a better workout. My body gets tired running... but not so much on the elliptical.

So... if i'm sweating more by jogging but burning more calories on the elliptical -- - which is better for me?? (My goal is weight loss.)

This is exactly what I want to know!!!!
  • alltalk199
    Options
    Oh yeah, the elliptical is absolutely awesome, full on work the whole body and legs, I love it. There is no jarring, it takes all the impact off your knees, hips, back, your whole body. You can really push yourself to the limit with the resistance, leaving you feeling pumped once your done. Great way to build your heart cardio vascular, burns untold calories, strengthens and tones as well. I so want to buy one.......
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The principle of calorie burning is when your body uses calories to fuel itself. If you DO NOT consume calories, your body will consume muscle and fat to supply its needs. When you use your muscles calories are needed to function. This is why you most likely lose muscle when dieting to lose weight. I say most likely if you are not weight training to build muscle and in this case muscle gain is minimal.

If used properly with arms and legs, eliptical machines uses more muscle than a treadmill. I personally tested this with a body bugg.