Smart cup tracks liquids automatically... Good idea or not?

Options
What does everyone think of these?

Useful or not?

https://www.myvessyl.com/?referral_token=8env7qJmXBxciPGRr2YrmA

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm not $99 impressed.

I think it's a cool idea, but overall it's not something I would spend a lot of money on or want as a gift.
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I saw that they are retailing for $199... the $99 is the presale price. It is an interesting concept but the price is out there a bit.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Never EVER would I pay $199 or even $99 for a friggin' cup xD.

But then again, I don't drink much else than water and coffee from cups (wine I drink from wine glasses and not some plastic cup so I wouldn't use it for that, I'm fancy like that :drinker: . Beer I drink from the bottle/can so no go either:drinker: :drinker: ), so I suppose it wouldn't be of much use to me anyway.
  • zsgreenwell
    Options
    I never thought of that. I have a tervis and drink almost everything out of it. But because of that, if I do drink tea or a soda, I end up not measuring it. I thought it was interesting how it could track homemade shakes and such.

Thanks for the feedback, I just thought the thing was an interesting development.
  • mshurricane09
    mshurricane09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think this is good for people who are trying to track their caffeine intake, but still stupidly priced. I doubt this is going to catch on.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How about this: If you work at an office desk, get a 1 litre (32 oz) bottle. When you first arrive, fill it up. Drink it all before lunch. After lunch, fill it again and drink it before you leave.

Boom! 8 cups of water and it only cost you $10 for the bottle.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Never EVER would I pay $199 or even $99 for a friggin' cup xD.

But then again, I don't drink much else than water and coffee from cups (wine I drink from wine glasses and not some plastic cup so I wouldn't use it for that, I'm fancy like that :drinker: . Beer I drink from the bottle/can so no go either:drinker: :drinker: ), so I suppose it wouldn't be of much use to me anyway.

All of this, including the wine (minus the beer. I favor wine). So...yeah. Not worth it. Wine wouldn't taste the same in a cup like that. Cool idea, though.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I thought it was interesting how it could track homemade shakes and such.

Wouldn't you have to enter the ingredients for a homemade shake somewhere? Like you would with the MFP recipe editor (or tracking the separate ingredients). If so, how much use would it be to have the cup track that instead of just entering how much you made in MFP?
    I don't think the cup could just 'detect' the ingredients you put in your shake. On the website for the cup I saw it comes with some sort of app, I think that instead of the cup automatically 'knowing' what you're drinking, you'd have to tell it what you're drinking on the app and it would measure how much of it you are drinking, which makes it more of a fancy overpriced measuring cup than anything else.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    At 13oz I would be filling it up every half hour, I'll stick to my free 32 oz Newk's cup...especially for $99.
  • zsgreenwell
    Options
    Thats a good observation. It says that it can automatically detect the homemade shakes etc. But I don't know. Your idea of adding it via the APP is probably what would be happening.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cool concept; I would use one in future when they are more affordable and had different designs.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    it's really cool. But the price point? Ehhhh? Not sure anyone except the super techy/independently wealthy would buy in. I certainly think $99 for a cup is CRAZY.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've seen similar ideas for a lot less than that at Wal-Mart, but I'm personally content with what I have. Then again, I only tend to drink calories once in a while.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    $99 for a cup to tell me all the same things I can do by entering it for free on here. I'll stick with free.