Question on Protein Goal - Before or After Exercise?

Options
Hi, I'm curious about the Protein/Carb/Fat ratio settings in MFP, particularly I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein during maintenance since I'm still trying to lose some inches and tone up.

I've read that your goal for protein should be 1-1.5 g/lb of Lean Body Mass (LBM). Got it, and set my ratio in MFP to produce that number of grams as my goal.

However, as soon as I add exercise to MFP, my protein goal goes up for the day. Should I be shooting for that higher goal, or work it so my goal is still the original number, even after exercising? (I do light cardio combined with weights.) I'm finding it hard to meet the higher goal!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What i always recommend to people is choose a macro ratio that fits your goal. If you are maintaining I would recommend 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fat. that will allow you to drop some inches and tone up. And i personally dont subtract my exercise for the day I just add the calories into my daily alotted cals. Hope this helps. if you need anything else feel free to message me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are going for set number of grams there is no way to stop MFP from adding grams as it is based on %. What you can do is figure out TDEE and eat the same cals everyday and log exercise as 1 calorie, then your macros in grams will stay the same.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    this is why i personally never log exercise under the cardio section on MFP. it messes everything up.

my advice, find out your TDEE and just put in your exercise under the strength training section if you really want to keep track of it. Everything listed there won't adjust your kcals/macros.

but to answer your question, stick with the protein grams you originally calculated, and ignore the MFP changed recommendation based on exercise.
  • kharmacat
    kharmacat Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. I've looked at TDEE and I'm not sure I understand how it works (or maybe how it would work for me). The calculators I've used only allow me to select very generic information on my level of exercise. How can they calculate the calories I burn? The exercise program I'm doing is 30-40 min/daily, but some days are more intense than others (yoga one day, cardio w/weights another, light cardio the next day, etc.) - I'm burning anywhere from 150 to 400 calories depending on the workout. I just can't see how TDEE can be accurate given my routine.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise either. The thing about TDEE is that you need to think in terms of a week instead of a day. Yes, your energy expenditure will definitely be different every day! But to try to figure it out daily is very difficult, and MFP's calculations are often times wrong as they too are estimates. What to do: estimate with a week in mind. Pay attention to your body for a couple of weeks while being consistent. If you are weak, tired, and hungry all the time, you need to adjust your TDEE. If you are active and under on your calories but your waist line is the same, you need to adjust. If it's perfect to start with then you lose some body fat, you'll also need to adjust. Hope this helps!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you want to log your exercise and eat back the calories (I know I do), just remember the # of grams of protein for your base calories and aim for that rather than the amount that MFP gives you after it accounts for exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. I've looked at TDEE and I'm not sure I understand how it works (or maybe how it would work for me). The calculators I've used only allow me to select very generic information on my level of exercise. How can they calculate the calories I burn? The exercise program I'm doing is 30-40 min/daily, but some days are more intense than others (yoga one day, cardio w/weights another, light cardio the next day, etc.) - I'm burning anywhere from 150 to 400 calories depending on the workout. I just can't see how TDEE can be accurate given my routine.
    That's the problem with TDEE if your exercise varies a lot. My workouts have varied recently from 300 to 3000 in a day and 3000 to 6000 in a week (I cycle a long way in case you are wondering!) so it would be hopeless for me.

For protein I just aim for 1g per lb of LBM which for me works out at 140g a day - I just ignore the way MFP works in percentages.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It isn't meant to be exactly accurate and it doesn't need to be. It is basically a starting point. When deciding my activity with TDEE I would consider my intense workouts that need to be fuelled. I wouldn't count a day that I walk or do yoga one of my workout days (I do believe it is still working out, but burns fewer calories overall is what I mean. A day of yoga isn't going to deplete me if I don't compensate for it).
    You don't need to be precise about exercise calories, unless you are doing huge workouts, the difference will be minimal.

Also, if you have been tracking awhile, you can compare your TDEE suggestions against your MFP plus exercise. If figured correctly, they will be close - not exact because with MFP some days you eat a little more, some a little less and TDEE is averaged over the week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with TDEE if your exercise varies a lot. My workouts have varied recently from 300 to 3000 in a day and 3000 to 6000 in a week (I cycle a long way in case you are wondering!) so it would be hopeless for me.

For protein I just aim for 1g per lb of LBM which for me works out at 140g a day - I just ignore the way MFP works in percentages.

I also prefer the MFP method because of this. I have done TDEE but added in extra calories on those really high days. But that is just extra math.

To be clear in my above I was referring to slightly different variations in routine. It doesn't exactly apply to situations like yours.
  • kharmacat
    Options
    If you want to log your exercise and eat back the calories (I know I do), just remember the # of grams of protein for your base calories and aim for that rather than the amount that MFP gives you after it accounts for exercise.

Thanks again to all for the info on TDEE. It does make sense that it averages out over a week, but ^^ this is probably what I'll end up doing, since I like the "reward" feeling I get from the MFP method of logging exercise/earning calories. It's a good motivator for me.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which tracks what I am burning and takes the calories out through myfitnesspal automatically. I have used for 5 years now and just upgraded to the new one. I have used it if I am looking to loose after a baby or to maintain my weight. I used it with my heart rate monitor and the monitor on the elliptical when I do cardio and it matches very close to both so its pretty accurate. While it doesn't track your weight workouts it does track everything else you do in a day. Some days I only burn 1500 calories and others 2200 chasing the kids around or house cleaning. It is also a good motivator. By looking down and seeing what you have done for the day you know whether to celebrate or get off your butt or adjust your calories because you haven’t done enough in the day. I am also doing a 40/30/30 ration right now. 40 Carbs 30 protein and 30 fat. When I drop below certain body fat %’s I have to raise my carbs and lower by fat/protein intake or I am sluggish while dieting. :) Usually at around 18% body fat I have to do a 50/25/25 or 55/25/20 ratio since I don’t have enough fat on by body to burn through. But its all about knowing your body and adjusting if you are eating too much or need more protein. I have a propensity of gaining muscle very fast and on a deficit…. Although now that I am in my 30’s the muscle gain on my deficit was a lot smaller this go around. I at least had a little in the beginning that wasn’t too bad. :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way (about the motivation). I know myself well enough to know that if I did the TDEE method, I'd start slacking.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

It isn't meant to be exactly accurate and it doesn't need to be. It is basically a starting point. When deciding my activity with TDEE I would consider my intense workouts that need to be fuelled. I wouldn't count a day that I walk or do yoga one of my workout days (I do believe it is still working out, but burns fewer calories overall is what I mean. A day of yoga isn't going to deplete me if I don't compensate for it).
    You don't need to be precise about exercise calories, unless you are doing huge workouts, the difference will be minimal.

Also, if you have been tracking awhile, you can compare your TDEE suggestions against your MFP plus exercise. If figured correctly, they will be close - not exact because with MFP some days you eat a little more, some a little less and TDEE is averaged over the week.

Yeah, if I know I worked out a crazy amount in one day, I allow for more calories. My body tells me I need them, and I allow them. But, TDEE is best for me because I am happiest eating about the same amount each day. If I'm not active at all for some reason, ideally I'd eat lower than my TDEE.

I think the main thing is that you realize that the numbers you enter for calories burned are not always accurate anyway. And, if you strength train, you're building your metabolism as you build and repair muscle.

That's how I look at it, and it seems to be working for me. (No, I'm not at my maintenance weight, but could be if I didn't just want to lose a little more fat ... I'd be fine maintaining just where I'm at, which is basically what I've done the past two months.)
  • kharmacat
    Options
    I have a fitbit which tracks what I am burning and takes the calories out through myfitnesspal automatically. I have used for 5 years now and just upgraded to the new one. I have used it if I am looking to loose after a baby or to maintain my weight. I used it with my heart rate monitor and the monitor on the elliptical when I do cardio and it matches very close to both so its pretty accurate.

Huh, so even though your FitBit is only counting steps, not heart rate, you find it matches the calories burned pretty accurately? That's interesting. I've been debating between getting a step counter and heart monitor ... maybe I just go with the step counter.