Using ones own body weight

Options
Hi all,

I have been trying for a long time to get it together. Low and behold I am finally in a place where I can be constant. :-). Since my highest weight this year (191lbs) I am down to 166 lbs. Yey!! and that was just by quitting some bad habits. Now im back on track to working out and eating less to get down to my goal. But now that I want to be toned and not just skinny I realize my goal weight may be too low, so I don't want to guide myself on weight and instead on how I look in the mirror. Yes, weight will go down because I'm too heavy as it is, but I think you guys get the picture.

Anyways, I started doing squats, crunches, plank, and half body push-ups. I can only do about 20 of each, and a plank for about 15-20 seconds. I am very weak. But as I get stronger, when or how would I see progress. Do I have to do a ton of each exercise? I do the exercises 3xs a week and cardio about 4xs a week. Treadmill on an incline.

So do these exercises really help build muscle or am I wasting my time? And how do I get myself stronger by using them if they are good enough to build me up. I don't want to bulk up but I do want to be nice a toned and have an awesome booty. And supposedly Squats r the way to go for the rear...

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your success so far!

Second, you will get stronger doing bodyweight work. I would break the exercises up into sets rather than doing one set of 20 though. There are several good programs that show you how to do this. One is the Nerd Fitness beginner's bodyweight workout (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) and one is Start Bodyweight's basic routine (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html .)

I started with the first one and now am doing the second. I like how the Start Bodyweight program has you start with three sets of 4 and then each workout you add one. So the first workout do you 4, 4, and 4. Then move to 5, 4, and 4. Then 5, 5, and 4 and so on. I had been stuck on not being able to up my pushups and this method helped a lot.

As for the squats, bodyweight squats are good but squats with weights (barbell or dumbbells) are going to help with that more. You can also do other bodyweight exercises such as glute bridges and donkey kicks to help in that area.
  • Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you so much jemhh. I actually just finished up my exercises and did 2 reps of 20 for each. So I have been able to up it a bit from last week. As far as using weights I have non. I have to do everything at home and free. LOL not a good time at all to do anything that will cost me money. Are those sites you gave free? I signed up to the nerd fitness but it seems I have to purchase the subscription in order to follow the program. In short I am not going to...

I will be finding more exercises once I have mastered these... I think for someone as lazy as I am (haha) needs to master these before I move on. BUT I WLL DEFINANTELY keep the other ones you mentioned in mind. Especially because I really want my rear to be rounded out :-)... I see all these pics online of before and after's and everyone claims squats are boss. So Is it really a matter of adding different kinds of booty exercises?? And as far as upper body, I chose push up because they work all kinds of upper body muscles? Am I correct on this? I am so outta shape its sad, I have no upper body strength and I am also a victim of back problems. So I have to be careful with what I do to avoid injury as it will only be 50xs worse on me than a normal uninjured person...

Thanks for the advice!!
  • Sasha1417
    Options
    Checked out that second site, AMAZING... ITs on my favorites!!! As I go getting stronger I will add the variations he posted on there.

THANK YOU!!!!!
  • jemhh
    Options
    You don't need to pay anything for Nerd Fitness. They do have a paid program but the beginner bodyweight workout I linked to is completely free. It only requires one weight (for rows) and you don't have to use a traditional dumbbell for it. You can use a jug of milk, a bag of books, or anything else with a bit of heft to it. Just watch the video and you will see what I mean.

The Start Bodyweight program is free. At a certain point, you may want to add some sort of equipment (e.g., if you want to start on the pullup progressions you will need to find a bar to work on) but as a starting point you're fine without anything.

Pushups are good for upper body. Ideally you want something like a pushup and something like a row because one works your chest and one works your back. Your planks are going to help too. I started out with knee pushups so I know where you are coming from. You can look at the photos in my profile. I was an out of shape blob when I started working out in January. I've made really big improvements using bodyweight exercises. I think that they are a great option for people who are starting at a very basic level and who either don't want to go to a gym or just don't have access to one.
  • Sasha1417
    Options
    WOW!! Huge difference Great job!!! And you were able to accomplish that in such a small but of time... what did you do? Cardio and the weight training?

My diet is another story but I am trying to get better at it. I have cut down Fast food significantly like 80%. lol... So I am eating more at home. I am still trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies but my son is bringing me down. I pack his lunch and snacks and the good stuff comes back uneaten. Even the junk. lol... hes a twig naturally but I really want him to eat more fruit and veggies. My daughter is a healthy eater (so happy) but since my son is so picky my cooking has revolved around him. I have tweak this ALOT over the last year and he hates me for it lol... I have become the mom that says eat what I give you or don't eat at all. So hell pick out the stuff he doesn't want to eat and eats the rest... Basically he eats like a bird... Frustrating but Im not giving up... Really trying. on the diet part...
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    In CrossFit we do bodyweight movements a lot and they are so simple but effective. It sounds like you have already discovered this and seen great progress!

Here is a nice write up of some suggestions:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/05/5-bodyweight-moves-that-burn-fat-fast

And here are some fun options that can help you take advantage of the nice weather:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/10/the-30-minute-bodyweight-workout-playground-edition
  • jemhh
    Options
    WOW!! Huge difference Great job!!! And you were able to accomplish that in such a small but of time... what did you do? Cardio and the weight training?

I did C25k (running) 3x a week and bodyweight 3x a week. Now I still run 3x a week and do strength training (mostly bodyweight but have added a few dumbbells) 3x a week. On my strength days I start with a super easy (free on Youtube) 20 minute pilates video. I used to warm up by going on the treadmill but wanted to add more flexibility so I switched to that. I've never gone to an actual pilates class but can follow it so it is truly easy (Winsor Pilates.) Then I try to get 2-3 shorter walks in a week (usually at lunch time or after supper with my husband and daughter.)
    My diet is another story but I am trying to get better at it. I have cut down Fast food significantly like 80%. lol... So I am eating more at home. I am still trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies but my son is bringing me down. I pack his lunch and snacks and the good stuff comes back uneaten. Even the junk. lol... hes a twig naturally but I really want him to eat more fruit and veggies. My daughter is a healthy eater (so happy) but since my son is so picky my cooking has revolved around him. I have tweak this ALOT over the last year and he hates me for it lol... I have become the mom that says eat what I give you or don't eat at all. So hell pick out the stuff he doesn't want to eat and eats the rest... Basically he eats like a bird... Frustrating but Im not giving up... Really trying. on the diet part...

Diet is the biggest part of getting/staying in shape. On a basic level, I believe in calories in/calories out but I also know that I just feel healthier when I eat mostly foods that are traditionally seen as healthy (fruits, veggies, etc.) Now, I still have my treats (chocolate pb sundaes from DQ every Sunday night, for example) but I mostly stick with healthier options. Last week I had a break week (ate at maintenance) and it was nice to have a break but I definitely felt more sluggish due to eating too much junk.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Make sure to check out Fitness Blender! Perfect for you!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A few more options
    Strength unbound
    YAYOG
    convict conditioning
    Al Kavadlo
  • Rmenifield
    Rmenifield Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i assume you are doing this for strength and some weight lose. your max is 20 so .do them like this five reps each your squats followed by pushups etc no rest between exercises finish all this will be one set rest 2 min do again..if you cant do five do 2 each but do back to back no rest
    hope this helps
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bumpin' this for the great advice. Thanks!
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bumping this too..advice I.'m seeking! Ta!
  • Sasha1417
    Options
    Thank you Rmenifield. I did that today, makes a difference in the burn. I'm very new to it and I have to be careful with my choices because of my joints and back. But yes it is for strength (ironically for my back and joint pains) and to lose weight...