Building Calves with poor calf genetics

Options
2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Poor calf genetics. Maybe that explains why I'm not as good of a runner as others. Or not. Is this a real issue? Maybe they could fix the calf gene and take away the shin splint gene too.

big calves don't help much with running... longer legs and proportionally longer shins help more.

Shin splints could be due to poor running technique.

Damn it, I knew I was screwed with my short legs and shins.

Hope this was a worthy 1000th post.:drinker:

And my shin splint sarcasm may have been lost in this.

I've got short legs, proportionally short shins, and I have big calves. And I suck at running. I'm good at deadlifting though :bigsmile:

This is the most I have thought about my calves or legs below the knee...ever. And I have no idea whether my legs are long, short, proportional, or not. They just work for my and my running and probably lifting if I got into that too. Calf genetics just sounds like bull s*#t...pun intended.

I've read quite a few journal articles in evolutionary biology that discuss the biomechanics of various human gaits and how limb proportions affect them. For example Homo erectus had a particularly efficient gait for long distance running which most Homo sapiens people also have (we're directly descended from African Homo erectus). Neanderthals on the other hand had limb proportions (wide pelvis, short limbs, relatively short shins) that would give a significant mechanical disadvantage for running on level terrain, but a mechanical advantage running up hills.

What's interesting is that my limb proportions match the neanderthals' and while I suck at running on level terrain, I'm much faster running uphill, up stairs and also at skating (which is biomechanically very simiar to running uphill) - quite a few times I've beaten people up hills or flights of stairs who can beat me on the track - we used to do a lot of stair running when I used to play ice hockey, that's how I know. Oh yeah and I was also one of the fastest skaters on my team. And that was before I ever read anything about the evolution of the human gait and specific adaptations of it in different species of human.

So yes, differences in genetics leads to differences in limb proportions and muscle size that can have quite a significant impact on what kind of exercise you're good at - this is the kind of thing that makes someone naturally good at a particular sport... to be a champion requires a ton of work, no-one became a champion on genetics alone, but at the top levels you need good genetics AND a lifetime of dedicated hard work to get there.

But this should not put people off from enjoying sports they want to enjoy... you don't have to be a champion to have fun and get health benefits from any sport... you just have to put the work in into training, and hard work does count for a lot more than good genetics... it's just that someone with better genetics will get somewhat further for the same amount of work.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find that walking on the treadmill at the highest incline for about 10 minutes after I lift has helped. That's really all I do to target them now, outside of some one leg body weight calf raises when I feel like it. The treadmill at an incline really gives them a pump.

I've heard that you want to go with a higher rep scheme for calfs since they are fast twitch muscle fibers.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think I've added about a millimetre to my ridiculously skinny calves with around a year and a half of compound moves. Just added calf raises about 2 weeks ago - no results as yet.

I feel your pain.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have recently bought a pair of five fingers and haven't done hill sprints yet but when I did the stairmaster with them my calves were on fire!! And it was only during my 5 min warmup!
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ballet. Seriously.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Poor calf genetics. Maybe that explains why I'm not as good of a runner as others. Or not. Is this a real issue? Maybe they could fix the calf gene and take away the shin splint gene too.

big calves don't help much with running... longer legs and proportionally longer shins help more.

Shin splints could be due to poor running technique.

Damn it, I knew I was screwed with my short legs and shins.

Hope this was a worthy 1000th post.:drinker:

And my shin splint sarcasm may have been lost in this.

I've got short legs, proportionally short shins, and I have big calves. And I suck at running. I'm good at deadlifting though :bigsmile:

This is the most I have thought about my calves or legs below the knee...ever. And I have no idea whether my legs are long, short, proportional, or not. They just work for my and my running and probably lifting if I got into that too. Calf genetics just sounds like bull s*#t...pun intended.

I've read quite a few journal articles in evolutionary biology that discuss the biomechanics of various human gaits and how limb proportions affect them. For example Homo erectus had a particularly efficient gait for long distance running which most Homo sapiens people also have (we're directly descended from African Homo erectus). Neanderthals on the other hand had limb proportions (wide pelvis, short limbs, relatively short shins) that would give a significant mechanical disadvantage for running on level terrain, but a mechanical advantage running up hills.

What's interesting is that my limb proportions match the neanderthals' and while I suck at running on level terrain, I'm much faster running uphill, up stairs and also at skating (which is biomechanically very simiar to running uphill) - quite a few times I've beaten people up hills or flights of stairs who can beat me on the track - we used to do a lot of stair running when I used to play ice hockey, that's how I know. Oh yeah and I was also one of the fastest skaters on my team. And that was before I ever read anything about the evolution of the human gait and specific adaptations of it in different species of human.

So yes, differences in genetics leads to differences in limb proportions and muscle size that can have quite a significant impact on what kind of exercise you're good at - this is the kind of thing that makes someone naturally good at a particular sport... to be a champion requires a ton of work, no-one became a champion on genetics alone, but at the top levels you need good genetics AND a lifetime of dedicated hard work to get there.

But this should not put people off from enjoying sports they want to enjoy... you don't have to be a champion to have fun and get health benefits from any sport... you just have to put the work in into training, and hard work does count for a lot more than good genetics... it's just that someone with better genetics will get somewhat further for the same amount of work.

This is interesting so thank you. And I get that genetics play a role in skeletal and muscle development. But, and you would know more on this than I would, if I remember my science classes, there is no specific "calf gene", rather genes that control/affect muscle developement in general. But again, like you said, genetics is only part of the equation.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to Dr. Stoppani's calf workout: http://www.leanbulk.com/forum/bodybuilding/17185-ultimate-calf-workout-jim-stoppani.html

That is pretty damn brutal!
    What's up,

I haven't taken any measurements but I can definitely tell visually that my calves have gotten bigger (which is what I'm shooting for anyway). I haven't measured because I don't want a false sense of accomplishment when there is a chance that looking at my legs they don't appear any larger.

Anyway I started doing this regimen suggested by Dr. Stoppani (look him up, he is good) at least 4 times a week but I shoot for 5. He suggested a particular exercise but from my experience the workout itself works with all calf exercises; therefore, I will just give the reps and such.

If you were doing seated calf raise add a plate to each side and do 30 reps. On the next set add another set of plates and do 30. Continue this until you can no longer get to 30 but shoot for 10. Repeat that set with the same weight shooting for 10 and immediately begin drop sets. After each set remove a set of plates and perform as many reps as possible (no more than 30 and no less than 10).

This is an example so you can use as much weight as you see fit. I usually do this routine once and from there regular 3 sets of 10-15 for the other calf exercises (usually 2 more exercises). Also ensure to cycle between upper calf and soleus when you do this.

I know this is long but I have always had small calves regardless of what I did so I wanted to be as in depth as possible. I normally don't post things but I FEEL your pain. Here's hoping the best for you and go get it!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    TEAM NO CALVES!!!

24766410.jpg
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    seriously how do you get rid of huge calf muscles?
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If they are naturally muscular then I don't think there is much you can do other than don't perform any direct exercises for them so that they don't get any bigger. If there is just fat covering them then general weight loss would eventually do it.

How big are they? Post a pic.
    seriously how do you get rid of huge calf muscles?
  • rippeddanny
    Options
    Go to:

www.whyaremycalvessmall.com

It really helped me. My calves were about 13 in. 2.5 months ago and now they are pushing 15 in. It takes alot of work tho