I can't do a proper pushup

Options

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice given! I'll just add that you can also download pushup apps that will help you build up to a goal of 50 to 125 continuous pushups. I've used the Rittr Labs app and thought it worked great!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,412 Member
    Options
    Argh! I cannot do pushups either and I also suck at kneeling pushups. It's really my arms or shoulders that cannot cope with this exercise, not my core. I try to do normal pushups regularly, and do a few push offs at the kitchen counter at the office each day. I can kind of do half normal pushups now, but as soon as I go lower my arms give up and I crash down. It's not like they get a bit wobbly and I just need to push through, but they simply go limb and that's it. The same happens with kneeling pushups, but to a lesser extend.

I mean: I do all sorts of bodyweight exercises and use weights as well. I did russian getups for the first time ever on Sunday, with a kettlebell weight I'd never used before for anything - I was being optimistic. It worked (well, I was panting heavily). I finally manage to do situps with a strong lordosis, there's improvement everywhere, apart from those pushups. Argh!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who recommends starting with the wall or counter push-ups. You'll build confidence as you start to see success. Then when you're ready, move to the floor and try the knee push ups.
  • yirara
    Options
    Actually, there's something (in my case) with inclined pushups: It seems to be physically impossible to do pushups on a chair for example. I don't know if that's the reason but I have relatively long arms relative to the abdomen (buying a bike with a great horizontal length and small frame size was a nightmare!) and it feels like there's more arm than I can 'fold away' physically possible. If I use something this high: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/wh6_uploads/images/olympic-arms-3.jpg and a similar arm angle when up the bench ends up near my belly button when down. With the hands so far away from the shoulders I guess you lack the strength to push yourself up again. It's less extreme on the floor though.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I'm a fitness noob... I've lost some weight (yay!) but now I'd like to put the effort into getting in shape.
    I have very little arm/upper body strength and don't go to the gym (yet?).
    I do cardio exercises via Xbox Fitness and have no equipment.
    I feel like my legs are strong but my arms are pathetic.

Do I need actual strength training with weights or just keep up the cardio and focus on moving arms.

What would you recommend a very beginner can do at home to build up upper strength/endurance?

Thanks bunches to all the nice people out there. <3

Buy a pair of dumbells and look up on cross fit video with weights or firness blender video on youtube, is full of good exercises!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My instructor shows beginners how to do a push up standing up and using the wall. For people with no upper body strength it's a good start.

I have been working out for years and still cant get down all the way if I do it with my body straight, but I'm getting better.
  • EndCat
    EndCat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the Push-Up Progression from Nick Janvier at Start Bodyweight.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/push-up-progression.html

The first step is the Wall Push-Up. Once you master that, then move onto Step 2. Once you've mastered Step 2, then move on to Step 3, etc.

My own experience was that once I mastered the Wall Push-Up (Step1), I added my own Step 1b Kitchen Countertop Push-Up.
    Then I moved on to Step 2 Box Push-Up.

Nick outlines a nice logical progression where the changes in leverage (one of the keys of bodyweight training) are not that drastic between steps.

Hope this helps.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If your goal is fitness you absolutely need to strength train!

cute-cat-laughing.jpg

So not true. You can be fit without strength training.

That being said, strength training is really, really good for you. It all depends on your goals.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the Push-Up Progression from Nick Janvier at Start Bodyweight.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/push-up-progression.html

The first step is the Wall Push-Up. Once you master that, then move onto Step 2. Once you've mastered Step 2, then move on to Step 3, etc.

My own experience was that once I mastered the Wall Push-Up (Step1), I added my own Step 1b Kitchen Countertop Push-Up.
    Then I moved on to Step 2 Box Push-Up.

Nick outlines a nice logical progression where the changes in leverage (one of the keys of bodyweight training) are not that drastic between steps.

Hope this helps.

QFT!!!!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have great leg strength and little upper body strength. Used to, I couldn't do a single pushup and it was rough even on my knees. I can now do 2 good push ups and then I bring it down to my knees for the remainder.

What about yoga? The different variations of planks seems like it would help build shoulder and arm strength.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do 1 "real" pushup in January. I've been benching with progressively heavier weights, practicing modified pushups, planks and general balance/core strength stuff. I can now do real pushups in sets of 8. Just work at it. Strengthening your chest, core, shoulders, back are all helpful when it comes to pushups.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Pushups require core strength and upper body strength so planks like others suggested are good. There is a program called 100 pushups that you can use once you are able to do a pushup. It helps you practice until you can do more. When I was in the military we had to do a certain number of pushups in 1 minute. I would practice doing that # each night until I was fast enough to do it under a minute. Focus on your form doing a couple pushups to start and as you get stronger increase your #.
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try the wall push ups - I have never been able to do a full on push up but I think that with this training I will be able to get there.
  • carlyraer
    carlyraer Posts: 9
    Options
    Start by doing modified push ups then you will get more upper body strength. Also lift more weights to build arm strength
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    in for the info...
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer we did pushups in a rack - setup like you are doing squats. Push up off the bar first at chest height, progressively moving the supports (and thus the bar) down. Worked like a dream with tangible "measures" for improvement. Obviously not something everyone has access too, but is a gym alternative to wall pushups, counter pushups, etc.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do you have any stairs at your house? If so, a really neat way to start doing pushups is to start at a high step and do your sets. When this starts to feel easy, go down one step and do them here until it gets easy again. Rinse, repeat. Eventually, you will hit floor level. I was one of those who never could do a "real" pushup, but could rock knee pushups all day. Then, one day, a trainer saw me and and only made one comment: "the only way to do pushups is to do pushups". What he meant was, knee pushups were not going to get me there because they use a different mechanism and muscle group. The stair pushups are much closer to proper form. Now my warmups before lifting can consist of 5 sets of 10 pushups (that's 50 pushups!) no sweat. Give it a try:)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    "You Are Your Own Gym" is a great book for building up from nothing to ..yeah there is NO way I will even aspire to that (yet)
    They also have an app, but the app really helps only after you understand the stuff explained in the book.
    Thinks like starting with push ups against the wall...then down onto a kitchen counter...then down to a desk level, then down to a coffee table...then down to the floor...(the progression continues with your feet going up on a step, then a table or chair, then up against the wall until you are doing crazy stuff like wide handed pushups, handstand pushups, jumping pushups...just WILD stuff)
    For the record, I went from being able to do NONE to being able to do 7 with good form and 10-12 with my form falling apart and muscles quivering.
  • yirara
    Options
    YAYOG is cool! And I learned a lot doing it. It just didn't help with pushups.I can do 100 or so on a wall, none elevated (see above), and don't manage to get past kneeling ones.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lots of amazing advice in here... going to try doing planks in sets and also wall push ups to start.
    I do have stairs in my house but not very much room at the bottom so I'll work with that to start, then go to a chair, etc.