Hating myself :(

Options
Hi all , I recently got back from a trip of a life time in Vegas and recently photos have appeared on good old facebook and I actually feel sick looking at them :( Since Feb this year I have lost over 20lbs but still not even half way to my goal . Seeing these pics has really knocked me and I don't know why :(
I can't go to the gym so currently sorting eating and exercises at home and walking more and looking to join classes but I feel so sick from the pics I am too ashamed to join up .

Anyone else ever feel like this ?

Replies

• billiegardner
    Options
    Love yourself enough to do something about it and stick to a diet and exercise program. Best wishes for you!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Of course! But that doesn't mean you need to feel dejected. 20 pounds is a lot to lose, just imagine how much better you look in those pictures now than you would have if you hadn't been working so hard the last few months.

Don't be ashamed to join gyms or fitness classes. The fitness classes I've been to always have a welcoming atmosphere for all body types, and you'll likely see people bigger than you are.

Also, I think you look great in your profile picture. Keep in mind that other people are not going to be nearly as critical as you are towards yourself. If you don't like the way you look, use that as motivation to keep going. Don't let it bring you down. You've made such great progress already!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to make lots of enemies. That way I don't have to hate myself. I have people to do that for me.

But in seriousness, photos can be rough sometimes because they don't match how we see ourselves. Sometimes at any weight. I'm not entirely sure they match how other people see us either, especially our loved ones.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    No. It's just you. WRONG!!! It's me and everyone else who's ever tried to lose weight too! We all do this.

I'm not 1/2 way to my goal either. I still don't like my pictures either. BUT I keep reminding myself: I'm not done yet.

You are not done yet on this path you're on to lose weight. Losing 20 pounds is GREAT. Do not let those pictures derail you. Go back to Vegas when you reach 1/2 way, and take some more pictures....you'll be surprised by your awesomeness!! Then go back when you've hit goal. WHOA!!! You'll be amazing!!
  • habsfan802
    habsfan802 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say all of us have felt that way at some point in our life, the trick is to turn that hatred into motivation. Dont see yourself how you are but how your going to be. Right now your great but be determined to become better. Change or wallow in self pity but either way the world keeps turning, choose change.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you hate the way you look and know what needs to be done to change it .....

Stop making excuses and do it..
  • val16villar
    val16villar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No no no. No hate. Gotta love.

I completely understand, I don't enjoy taking photos because sometimes I really don't feel confident in my body right now. What I think you need to focus on is that you are trying and making an effort. Don't be ashamed - look at your progress! Take the classes - I know they can be intimidating at times, but most people are there for the same reasons - to exercise!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    If you feel like 20 lbs isn't a big deal, go pick up a 20 lb dumbbell and haul it around with you all day. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps and respect yourself for everything you've already done and everything you can still do.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Think about where you've come from. You have already lost 20lbs! If you can't appreciate your hard work now, what's to say that you'll appreciate yourself when you get to goal. Make exercising and eating well a labor of love. That's what it is: a way to show love to your body. The best thing you can do is to say, "what they best way that I can show love to myself?" And start there. Losing weight isn't supposed to be a punishment. You have to love yourself before you can take care of yourself. Hang in there and show yourself some love!
  • kikimilabutterfly
    Options
    You just have to soldier through it if you want to reach your goal, everyone has these feelings once in a while

I just repeat the self-pity by D.H Lawrence to myself " I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself, a small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's counterintuitive but the order is in reverse. You won't like yourself better when you lose weight, liking yourself first will help you lose your weight. Excess weight is a problem, but it doesn't define you.

Almost all of the advice on MFP is about they physical/chemical aspects of weight loss. Almost everyone who has been through successful weight loss will tell you that it's really conquering the mental difficulties. Good luck.
  • BethanBee86
    BethanBee86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all . I have signed up to classes for fitness and taken a step back from looking at pics and looking at what I've achieved rather than what I haven't .
    I think I was just at a low and seeing non perfect pics just kept knocking me further .

Thank you once again all x
  • ChrisAnnConti1
    Options
    The first thing you must do is to STOP making negative comments about yourself. One of the above post had mentioned about carrying around a 20 pound dumbbell but I do something different to remind myself of the weight I lost, for every pound you loose it is like loosing 4 sticks of butter! You have lost 80 sticks of butter!!! Could you imagine putting 80 sticks of butter in your cart? You are amazing don't give up! You are going to achieve your goal!:happy:
  • ChrisAnnConti1
    Options
    good for you:smile:
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am.. but don't put yourself down. 20 lbs is an amazing loss. Going to the gym isn't an option for me right now either. There is plenty you can do at home to work out and get the lbs off :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I feel disgusted with myself right now too. Use it as your motivation, and use those pictures too. Me I haven't exercised in 2 weeks, the 1st week was due to illness and the 2nd was just me being a lazy couch potato. So today, I gave myself a verbal lashing and told myself I refuse to revert back to the fat me from 3 years ago, so I'm hitting the walking trails as soon as my fitbit is finished charging (about 30 minutes). I haven't lost 89 lbs to stop now, and you shouldn't either! Reach for the stars girl and keep at it. Don't be ashamed of yourself, but instead change yourself!
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's counterintuitive but the order is in reverse. You won't like yourself better when you lose weight, liking yourself first will help you lose your weight. Excess weight is a problem, but it doesn't define you.

Almost all of the advice on MFP is about they physical/chemical aspects of weight loss. Almost everyone who has been through successful weight loss will tell you that it's really conquering the mental difficulties. Good luck.
    WOW!!! Well said! :smile:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am.. but don't put yourself down. 20 lbs is an amazing loss. Going to the gym isn't an option for me right now either. There is plenty you can do at home to work out and get the lbs off :)

BINGO! you don't need a gym, I'm too poor for that. lol Call or ask around where you live and see if any churches or organizations offer free exercise classes. I Zumba 3x a week at a local church for free, and my mother-in-law does insanity for free at a church in her town (she lives about a half hour from me). So there are ways of saving money and still sweating your *kitten* off. I am a walker, and though I started out with only being able to walk 15 minutes at a time, I now can walk for 1-2 hours without stopping (of course I carry water on me). I recently moved to a more hilly part of town, and am just grabbing my MP3 player and climbing as many hills as I can just within 1-3 mile radius of my home. I can feel the difference already, because where I lived before was mostly flat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you feel like 20 lbs isn't a big deal, go pick up a 20 lb dumbbell and haul it around with you all day. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps and respect yourself for everything you've already done and everything you can still do.

Excellent point!! When I used to watch Biggest Loser, my favorite part was at the end of the season where they had the contestants carry around the amount of weight they'd lost. What an eye opener! I know I couldn't carry around 90 pounds for long and wonder how I ever managed to live like that for so long.

Stop beating yourself up about the past and the here and now and think of how much you can accomplish in the next few weeks/months/years. You got this!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I sure have. Read my profile about my cousin's wedding. huge slap in the face. Anyway, get over it and do you. You're not going to get the results you want feeling sorry for yourself, and being ashamed to go anywhere or join any classes, etc. your journey starts today! Those Vegas pictures will make fabulous "before" shots. :)