Cilantro Lime Rice?

Options
Ratrap
Ratrap Posts: 153
Does anyone have the recipe for the Cilantro Lime Rice and possibly knows how to make it into a recipe on here?

Replies

• nharr002
    nharr002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I found this recipe before. I hope this helps in discovering what you're looking for.

Chipotle's Basmati Rice Recipe

Recipe #1
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
    2 tsp. fresh cilantro
    2/3 cup white basmati rice
    1 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 Lime

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice, cilantro, and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
  • Ratrap
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    mine is a bit more simpler

I do my rice in a rice cooker...
    Then chop up some cilantro....
    add it in
    get some lime zest
    and then some lime juice.....
  • Ratrap
    Options
    mine is a bit more simpler

I do my rice in a rice cooker...
    Then chop up some cilantro....
    add it in
    get some lime zest
    and then some lime juice.....

That does sound a bit simpler. Thanks
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup, as nharr002 said. Just throw some cilantro and lime in with the rice to cook. You can adjust this to your liking.
    --If you like your cilantro more bright green than boiled within an inch of it's life, wait to toss it into the rice when it done but still hot.
    --If you only have dry cilantro, throw it in at the beginning and boil it with the rice.
    --Adjust the lime flavor by using lime juice and lime zest -- either one or both. Use a fine cheese grater or a microplane to get just to outer, dark green layer for the zest. If you use the whole lime rind including the white side (the pith), it will be bitter.
    --You can also throw the lime in earlier or later in the cooking process to adjust the flavor to your liking.
    --You can leave out the butter but it does make the rice taster richer.

I'm a lazy cook so I make rice in the oven because you can ignore it, it never boils over, and it never scorches. For brown rice, I follow the Alton Brown oven rice recipe at

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html

-- covered in pyrex for about an hour at 375F.

But I am often even lazier. I leave out the butter and just start it in a cold oven with cold water and cook it for about 90 minutes instead of 60. It's un-fussy on temperature. If you are using a colder or hotter oven for something else, just adjust the time.

White rice can be done the same way just for a shorter period of time. Here's a white rice version:

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/ricegrains/a/Rice-In-The-Oven.htm

And now you can venture forth and make all sorts of flavored rices the same way!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually just cook about a cup of long-grain rice, and stir in 1 tsp lime zest, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice & 1/2 cup chopped cilantro just before serving. Hope this helps! :)
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love that rice, never thought about just making it, duh
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Had to look it up .... Coriander
  • Ratrap
    Options
    Yup, as nharr002 said. Just throw some cilantro and lime in with the rice to cook. You can adjust this to your liking.
    --If you like your cilantro more bright green than boiled within an inch of it's life, wait to toss it into the rice when it done but still hot.
    --If you only have dry cilantro, throw it in at the beginning and boil it with the rice.
    --Adjust the lime flavor by using lime juice and lime zest -- either one or both. Use a fine cheese grater or a microplane to get just to outer, dark green layer for the zest. If you use the whole lime rind including the white side (the pith), it will be bitter.
    --You can also throw the lime in earlier or later in the cooking process to adjust the flavor to your liking.

I'm a lazy cook so I make rice in the oven because you can ignore it, it never boils over, and it never scorches. For brown rice, I follow the Alton Brown oven rice recipe at

But I am often even lazier. I leave out the butter and just start it in a cold oven with cold water and cook it for about 90 minutes instead of 60. It's un-fussy on temperature. If you are using a colder or hotter oven for something else, just adjust the time.

White rice can be done the same way just for a shorter period of time. Here's a white rice version:

And now you can venture forth and make all sorts of flavored rices the same way!

Whoa that's new. I never heard of cooking rice in the oven
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Does the cilantro loose its flavor at all ? This sounds really good!
  • gretlarson
    gretlarson Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I have never heard of cooking rice in the oven either. I'm going to have to try this because I am rarely successful at cooking rice on the oven. I have ruined many pots doing this.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this for the tips and to throw in my 2 cents, that I use minute rice and chicken broth instead of water, then once it cooks, throw in the cilantro and lime juice, with a little salt and stir it all in.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Bump. :D
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I made it the other night and it was delicious I also throw in some fresh garlic and add some fresh cilantro and lime juice after it's cooked
    I thought I would also throw this lime cilantro cauliflower 'rice' recipe http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/cilantro-lime-cauliflower-rice.html
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Does the cilantro loose its flavor at all ? This sounds really good!

It depends on how you mean the question.

Yes, like all dried herbs, dried cilantro in a jar will lose potency over time. You can boost old dried herbs by rubbing them between your hands or crushing them in a mortar and pestle to increase newly exposed surfaces on the broken pieces -- or just add more.

I find fresh cilantro barely cooked tastes different from fresh cilantro cooked to death. Both are good but they are different. Cooked, the flavor is more subtle. Raw or just lightly steamed, you get more of that aromatic effect.

If you find you can't use a whole bunch of cilantro before it turns into black slime, you can just throw it in the freezer as is. It won't work raw but it's fine in cooked food. I find it's even better to freeze fresh herbs as "ice cubes." Whir the herb in a food processor or blender with a bit of oil. Then freeze it in an ice cube tray. You can either then wrap each cube in plastic wrap and store the cubes in a bag or you can line each cube hole in the tray with 4" pieces of plastic wrap and wraps each cube as you assemble them. This works well for me as I'm usually doing only a couple cubes at a time and always have the tray in the freezer waiting for more.

DON'T USE GOOD OLIVE OIL. Extra virgin olive oil will turn bitter from being beaten up by the processor or blender blades. Use "lite" olive oil, canola, or peanut oil. I like to use canola oil because it has no taste and then I can use the frozen herbs in any recipe, Chinese or Italian, etc.

Right now, I have a couple basil pots out along the front walk that are growing faster than I can use them. So, every once in awhile, I give them a major "hair cut," whir the leaves in oil, freeze, and have basil cubes to use whenever. No problem with making only 3 or 4 cubes at a time using the pre-wrap method.
  • luckyFairy81
    luckyFairy81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you can even do the same with greens like mint. we add a 1-2 tsps of butter to rice while cooking ,it makes rice not to stick .

also you can add little bit of spices to improve metabolism like cumin powder (tsp)or cumin seeds (1 tsp)

coconut oil is best for cooking.
  • readanddance
    readanddance Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump for trying later!
  • cinebibliophile
    cinebibliophile Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tagging this for the recipes ... thank you all! Sounds wonderful!
  • misscin161
    Options
    Don't know if this will interest you but here is a link to a recipe using cauliflower (as rice) to help save calories. I have made this and had to double the lime to get the flavour but it is really good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lime-cilantro-cauliflower-rice