Exercise increasing my caloric intake?

Options
eabell55
eabell55 Posts: 3 Member
Hi,

I just started this program, and I am a bit confused. My allotted daily calorie intake is 1200. I added a workout which is supposed to burn approx 600 calories. After adding the workout, myfitnesspal increased my daily caloric intake by 600 (which is what I burned off at the gym.) Is this counter-productive? I am looking to lose 2lbs a week.

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If MFP set you calorie intake at 1200 losing "x" amount of weight per week, that's what it should be. Exercise does increase your daily calories. Some people eat all of their calories back or half back. It depends on what you are using to calculate your calorie burn. I use MFP for calorie burn and it's a little high so I try to only eat half of my calories back. No, it's not counter productive. It works.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The calories MFP gives you already has the deficit built in (Since obviously you aren't going to be eating 1200 calories at base when you maintain). So since you've burned more, you can eat more.
  • ljk3
    ljk3 Posts: 9
    Options
    You need to net 1200 calories, so if you burned 600 at the gym then you need to eat 600 more... thats why if you have trouble eating enough food (because you get too full) you should skip the gym... bodies are made in the kitchen not the gym... good luck!

Hi,

I just started this program, and I am a bit confused. My allotted daily calorie intake is 1200. I added a workout which is supposed to burn approx 600 calories. After adding the workout, myfitnesspal increased my daily caloric intake by 600 (which is what I burned off at the gym.) Is this counter-productive? I am looking to lose 2lbs a week.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I exercise to increase my calorie intake. I eat them all back and always lose. It is the way MFP is set up and it motivates me to exercise.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is supposed to work is that you eat back your exercise calories. You are looking to net 1200 calories.

One caveat is that MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns (if that's how you're estimating). Some people choose to eat only a portion of their exercise calories back. Figure out what works for you.

All that said, aiming for losing 2 lbs/week is pretty aggressive, and that's reflected by your 1200 calories/day. Maybe consider changing it to 1 or 1.5 lbs/week. See what that gets you. It will take longer, but it may be more sustainable in the long run.

Helpful reading (containing links to even more helpful reading).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Best of luck.
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    I use the exercise calories as a "buffer." If I'm hungry, then I eat. If not, I don't. Sometimes I eat back all my calories, sometimes only some, and sometimes more (knowing I will burn extra later in the week). That way I don't have to fret over what I can and can't eat. I eat what I want. I have lost 10lbs in 2 months doing this. But you need to find what works for you. Good luck.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't get this. I was the same last year. Turns out all you have to do is read the bit about getting started on MFP.

MFP calculates your calorie goal WITH the deficit you need to lose the weight you've said you want to lose.

For example, when you calculate your goals and you've said "I want to lose 2lbs a week", MFP gives you a calorie goal of what you should eat to lose that 2lbs a week. Let's say that's 1200. This is always your net calorie goal.

If you then exercise and burn an extra 500 calories, then MFP calculates that you NOW need to eat 1200+500 to lose your 2lbs a week, so you should eat 1700 calories in total to reach your 1200 net calorie goal.

You should be netting at least 1200 every day.

Before I realised this, I ate 1200 and burned 600 every day for 6 months. I lost weight but towards the end of that time, I felt horribly sluggish, couldn't get out of bed and lost concentration at work. Don't get to that.

Stick to the plan.

Read more about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    the 1200 is great-I do workout a lot-for me I do eat excersise calories back unless I am hungry-I don't worry if I am going to eat them are not going to eat them-so lost my weight doing it that way-and that's what works for me-to each their own-so if you like you can add me-I find everyone does what is good for them-I choose not to go over-but its nice to no they are there- I do real intense workouts and I don't want over 2000 calories a day which with my workouts they suggest-so far I lose 1 -2 pounds aweek-so for me 1200 calories works-I do make sure I get that in-so good luck on your journey
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've read a ton of posts on calorie deficit and this one finally offered answers that make sense to me. Thanks everyone!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need to net 1200 calories, so if you burned 600 at the gym then you need to eat 600 more... thats why if you have trouble eating enough food (because you get too full) you should skip the gym... bodies are made in the kitchen not the gym... good luck!

Weight is lost in the kitchen. Body's are made in the gym.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    ^^^This. I make sure that I absolutely consume my 1200 calories each day... I am on a 3 day weight training- 3 day C25k -one day rest program....If I am hungry anytime after my workouts, I know I can safely eat without having to worry over going OVER my intake but if I am not hungry, I don't worry about that either. The biggest thing is to accurately track what and how much you are eating and properly log your exercise/workouts, especially at the beginning. In my opinion, it gives you a great insight into your own dietary habits. I'm only on my second week...? I think? But I feel great and I am starting to look forward to my runs/training sessions. Good luck!

( I missed the quote on TruckerWife92! Some mornings I wake up in pure idiot mode)
  • eabell55
    eabell55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am no longer having a blonde moment! :)
  • ninoratsoc
    ninoratsoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have to do whatever works for you because we are not all the same!

I exercise a lot and I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. I was flogging myself for two hours every day in the gym and I was staying well within my calorie allowance but just wasn't losing OK so two pounds in six months - not worth all that effort!

I now do slightly less exercise (just an hour a day) but I have cut my calories down to 1000 a day (I can't lose on 1200 cals because as you get older you need far fewer) = and it is working amazingly - at the rate of 2 lbs a week.

I am just sorry I wasted six months listening to all the advice about eating your calories back. and not going lower than 1200 cals - well that may be good for some but it wasn't good for me. My advice is : Experiment - and do what works for you. If you are not losing as fast as you would like, then change something. Don't increase your exercise - reduce your calorie intake - it is far more effective than trying to lose weight by exercise and if you then eat all those calories back - totally counter productive!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You have to do whatever works for you because we are not all the same!

I exercise a lot and I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. I was flogging myself for two hours every day in the gym and I was staying well within my calorie allowance but just wasn't losing OK so two pounds in six months - not worth all that effort!

I now do slightly less exercise (just an hour a day) but I have cut my calories down to 1000 a day (I can't lose on 1200 cals because as you get older you need far fewer) = and it is working amazingly - at the rate of 2 lbs a week.

I am just sorry I wasted six months listening to all the advice about eating your calories back. and not going lower than 1200 cals - well that may be good for some but it wasn't good for me. My advice is : Experiment - and do what works for you. If you are not losing as fast as you would like, then change something. Don't increase your exercise - reduce your calorie intake - it is far more effective than trying to lose weight by exercise and if you then eat all those calories back - totally counter productive!

Then why be on MFP since you are basically saying the system is broken as it's designed?