What to eat with Lobster other than butter?

Options
13»

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    We Canadians are split on the subject of mayo versus butter with lobster. I like the mayo. Try a small amount of low-fat mayo instead of butter.
    I am Canadian and I've never noticed this split.
  • Bilby1978
    Bilby1978 Posts: 8
    Options
    Try garlic powder?
    I made lobster tails at home last night - I put a basil pesto on top - I pureed basil, 1 clove of garlic, cajun spice and 1 tbsp coconut oil. It was delicious, but not sure if it's really that much better from a caloric intake perspective, but it would imagine its a bit better for me than plain old garlic butter.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We Canadians are split on the subject of mayo versus butter with lobster. I like the mayo. Try a small amount of low-fat mayo instead of butter.

Also Canadian and from a lobster fishing community and never noticed. Some people do, some people don't but it isin't a debate. Butter, plain or mayo is perfectly acceptable. Boiled in sea water is a must. Any other way is not acceptable or you are just masking bad lobster or flat out ruining it.. :flowerforyou:
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Lots of good options.

Sauteed with olive oil and hot pepper and garlic.
    drizzled with lemon or lime juice and black pepper
    dipped in chipotle mayo
    If you like the sensation, with a low-strength wasabi mayo/aioli
    With achiote/annato
    With spicy pineapple/lime/hot pepper sauce (blend and warm up).
    Remoulade (truly glorious from New Orleans).

And so on.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try garlic powder?
    I made lobster tails at home last night - I put a basil pesto on top - I pureed basil, 1 clove of garlic, cajun spice and 1 tbsp coconut oil. It was delicious, but not sure if it's really that much better from a caloric intake perspective, but it would imagine its a bit better for me than plain old garlic butter.

That sounds good. Plain old sweet roasted garlic would be good too but I put tons of garlic on everything. Try it plain before you put anything on though. As others have said plain lobster can be fantastic also.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I am Canadian, and I have.

Mayo on lobster is an abomination against all that is good and true.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Ghee? Jk...if you are trying to keep the calories low the only things I can think of are lemon juice and maybe cocktail sauce? It would depend on how the sauce was made to know if it would be a lower calorie choice though...

i was actually going to suggest ghee as well.

its much lower in cals and fat than butter since all the dairy fat is skimmed off.

i bought a jar at trader joes this weekend and have been cooking with it. quite nice.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cocktail sauce is a great alternative to butter if you're needing to save a few calories or just don't like butter. I use it with lobster, crab legs and steamed clams more often than butter these days. Extra calories for wine! :wink:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine with mayo.

I'm quite sure that's the only way I WOULDN'T eat lobster...

You've never had a lobster roll? lol
    It's like tuna salad, only with lobster... freaking amazing.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Would love some advice on what to eat with lobster other than butter. Going to a party tomorrow night with lobster and steamers as the main course. I have always eaten my lobster with butter and I see where that has gotten me. If anyone has some suggestions that would be great! I still can't do the eat it plain option.

Thanks!!!!

Being a New Englander....Sorry but I have to say nothing else but BUTTER will do!!
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Salt/Pepper... Garlic.. or just have some butter its not going to magically make you gain weight. Make it fit in your macros!
  • 33dimples
    33dimples Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A little butter won't hurt with lobster. You can work it off with extra min in your workout the day of or the next day!!! ENJOY you don't have to totally deprive yourself!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with eating butter. You do need to hit your fat macros for the day, right? A tablespoon of butter is only 100 calories. That shouldn't derail you at all if you adjust your diet for the rest of your day to accommodate your macros. I eat butter and cook with butter all the time. It's part of a enjoying a well-rounded diet.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Where exactly in Canada is NY, then?

OP: Just use a little butter and make it fit your macros.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Skip the butter and go all Baja-style with Puerto Nuevo Langosta - Pacific spiney rock lobster flash fried in lard then served with an ample supply of homemade tortillas, Mexican rice, pico de gallo, refried beans and, of course, beer and tequila. Too many good memories of this combination on my ample cross-border surfing excursions to Baja California in the 80's-90's. Best times and food ever...

lobster_montage.jpg
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    i would just stick to the butter, unless your having lobster every other night. nothing compares to lobster in garlic butter

Agree... in moderation...

Or maybe you could take the spray butter and some garlic powder and make a little lobster cocktail out of that with lemon juice... I would be good with just lemon juice and cayenne.. Booyah
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Would love some advice on what to eat with lobster other than butter. Going to a party tomorrow night with lobster and steamers as the main course. I have always eaten my lobster with butter and I see where that has gotten me. If anyone has some suggestions that would be great! I still can't do the eat it plain option.

Thanks!!!!

Being a New Englander....Sorry but I have to say nothing else but BUTTER will do!!

Agreed! Granite Stater here. Lobster without melted butter is blasphemous.

Also, mayo should only be used on cold lobster on a toasted roll. Lobster Rolls FTW!!!