What do you eat to meet your protein needs?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Meat of all kinds (beef, turkey, chicken, fish - fresh and canned), eggs, Seitan (a vegetarian protein made primarily from gluten), yogurt and occasionally other milk products, legumes (lentils are especially good!) and legume products (like hummus), nuts (and nut products like PB). Probably others, but those are my top items.

Food diary is open - feel free to take a peek. I typically eat 100 to 130g of protein a day, usually without protein powder or protein "supplements" like bars & whatnot.

I thought canned tuna was too high on sodium? Thanks I will take a look at your diary
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    chicken and tuna :-)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    The answer is generally meat. Anything else is chemically engineered, altered, full of sugar, etc etc. Meat, fish. Beans and eggs are decent sources.

Yeah but having meat for a snack does not sound good to me :smile:

You'd be surprised - I used to think that too, but I've broadend my "snack" definition and now one of my favorite post-workout snacks is a tuna "pancake" - a can of tuna plus 1/4 cup egg whites and 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, cooked like a pancake. A little bit of chicken in a wrap or something can make a great quick snack as well. It's okay to eat typical "meal" foods in smaller quantities for snacks.

Will have to give this a tray make these ahead so that I can bring them to work thanks for the tips
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Meat of all kinds (beef, turkey, chicken, fish - fresh and canned), eggs, Seitan (a vegetarian protein made primarily from gluten), yogurt and occasionally other milk products, legumes (lentils are especially good!) and legume products (like hummus), nuts (and nut products like PB). Probably others, but those are my top items.

Food diary is open - feel free to take a peek. I typically eat 100 to 130g of protein a day, usually without protein powder or protein "supplements" like bars & whatnot.

I thought canned tuna was too high on sodium? Thanks I will take a look at your diary

I'm picky about what brand I buy - I found the lowest sodium brand and because the rest of my foods (most days) are lower in sodium (not much processed), that one higher sodium food is just fine.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Good question! I am not much of a meat eater, and nuts have soooo much fat and protein bars usually have lots of sugars... I would also LOVE to hear suggestions on this!

I know that is why I am trying to stay away from them and eat other things that will give the protein that I need. But today it was the protein bar had no choice

From the suggestions here, it really looks like being more carniverous may be the way to go. It's frustrating for me, as I usually don't find meat appealing in general.

Yeah I agree with you but I saw a couple of things that can work for me
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i use nuts (whole natural almonds--unsalted/unroasted) pumpkin seeds, soy protein powder in my cereal, eggs (boiled egg whites--great snack with a piece of fruit), tofu, other meat substitutes. I try to avoid dairy (dairy yogurt, cheese, milk), but I do use soy or rice alternatives to those. Quinoa is a grain that is also a complete protein. I also eat beans--i like chick peas on my salad or to use some hummus, etc. I try to keep some cooked beans of different types ready to add to my salads or pitas. All kinds of different stuff out there! just be creative!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Milk and herring, salmon, peanut butter
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The A#1 best thing for protein (quality of protein and digestibility for humans) is Egg whites, but beyond that, white fish, tuna fish, chicken breast, lean pork cuts and a moderate amount of beef or red meat are all excellent protein sources. And if you are pairing plant proteins, most any bean with most any grain works (it will complete the protein and make a full set of available amino acids, otherwise plant proteins are almost always incomplete, with a few rare exceptions). Like black beans and wild rice, or kidney beans and barley...etc. But make sure the grain isn't processed (I.E. white flour is essentially useless as a protein source).
  • StephaniePhotoLady
    StephaniePhotoLady Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not fresh spinach has a lot of protein. Brown rice and beans are a good source, inexpensive too. And there is always peanut butter.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i aint ham or chickenm i had jacket potato earlier with 3 slices of ham with it and the ham alone had 8 protein in it
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Shrimp - grilled and thrown on a salad, sauteed in a dab of butter with lemon juice and pinch of parmesan cheese.

3 oz of shrimp has 84 calories and 18g of protein - 1g of fat!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not fresh spinach has a lot of protein. Brown rice and beans are a good source, inexpensive too. And there is always peanut butter.

Spinach actually doesn't have very much protein, less than a gram per serving.
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually like mussels sometimes. That and a little butter with it. I dont dunk them in the butter though. I just put on enough to coat them....lol
  • apg36820
    Options
    i make my own types of jerkey out of thinly sliced meat you can cook it in the oven until it is dry its a low sodium solution to wanting regular jerkey
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am not much of a meat eater, and nuts have soooo much fat and protein bars usually have lots of sugars... I would also LOVE to hear suggestions on this!

I know that is why I am trying to stay away from them and eat other things that will give the protein that I need. But today it was the protein bar had no choice

From the suggestions here, it really looks like being more carniverous may be the way to go. It's frustrating for me, as I usually don't find meat appealing in general.

I dont eat much meat either!!! Just chicken and seafood, but im learning to get more protein from alot of difference places.... i love eggs without the yolk, nuts, protein shakes and zone protein bars are Great They arent too bad on the sugars.... also love greek yogurt!!!! Beans, couscous, brown rice, and Quinoa are great sources too!!! Really if you start looking you will be surprised what you can add to your diet to get more protein!!! ;-)