work out shoes.... ewww

Options
Okay, I have a pair of shoes I keep at work to walk in. I have noticed however that they don't appreciate being worn for said purpose and are starting to protest by means of emitting a gaseous cloud. Not my first encounter with said issue, but I have never really found a solution and I would like to rectify this before the cloud wanders into someone else's cubical. Anyone have tricks to help with this that doesn't involve ruining my washing machine or buying a new pair of shoes every month?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    get some sneaker balls. i dont know if they are actually called that but they are these little balls about the size of a golf ball that have a fabric softener type smell to them. they work great for shoes

eta; also freezing your shoes or spraying them with rubbing alcohol to kill the bacteria in them also works
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    They have some pretty good spray at footlocker.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I spray mine with Dr. Scholl's odor spray. Not particularly wonderful, but effective.

I also keep them in a shoe bag that gets washed every so often out of paranoia
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Place a desiccant pack inside or use talcum powder(this is more messy but it works). Bacteria and mold can only survive if there is water present. Desiccant packs and talcum powder will remove said moisture killing the fungus/bacteria.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I hear a combination of peaches and onions works really well (1000 points for reference)

Not sure if you can still find this stuff but I bought some Dr. Scholl's shoe powder for Hubby's shoes a while back. Really covered up the horrendous foot stank.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Sometimes stuffing a dryer sheet in when they're not in use helps.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    After a workout, I pull the soles out to let them and the inner part of my shoes dry. I also spray the soles and the inside of the shoes with an anti-fungal. Shoes are less stinky.
  • HeyMae75
    HeyMae75 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Holes ?!!?
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I hear a combination of peaches and onions works really well (1000 points for reference)

Not sure if you can still find this stuff but I bought some Dr. Scholl's shoe powder for Hubby's shoes a while back. Really covered up the horrendous foot stank.

The movie "Holes"? Just guessing lol
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Smell is caused by bacteria - try spraying your feet (top, bottom, and in between toes) with rubbing alcohol after showering and let air dry. Rubbing alcohol kills everything!
    Get a new pair of shoes, and after wearing them spray them with a sport enzyme eater, and leave in the sun to dry. The uv rays will help kill of bacteria.
    It probably wouldn't hurt to spray the inside of your shoes with rubbing alcohol as well once in a while
    Good luck!
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle baby powder in them.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Dryer sheets!
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make "shoe bombs" with baking soda, coffee filters, and rubber bands. Dump some baking soda in a coffee filter and then twist at the top with a rubber band. Then keep one in each shoe until you need to swap it out. Cheap and effective.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    BOUNCE SHEETS - Cheap too
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Foot odor power with a baking soda base for one. Also, try dry fit socks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    originalveghead wins! With doowop713 coming in a very close 2nd.

Sorry for the hijack - just happened to have watched the movie recently so it was fresh in my mind. :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    get some sneaker balls. i dont know if they are actually called that but they are these little balls about the size of a golf ball that have a fabric softener type smell to them. they work great for shoes

I second these - we use them in our house in cleats, running shoes and run of the mill sneakers.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Place a desiccant pack inside or use talcum powder(this is more messy but it works). Bacteria and mold can only survive if there is water present. Desiccant packs and talcum powder will remove said moisture killing the fungus/bacteria.
    I second the talcum powder.
  • laurenbeauchamp98
    Options
    The shoe balls are great from experience, but that shoe bomb idea sounds pretty good to gonna try that one!