The Snack Monster

Options
Okay...
So I typically save my "big" workout (I'm trying to do multiple small ones and one thirty minute one a day) for my daughter's naptime, which is about 1:30 or 2:00pm. She is two years old, and I've found it difficult to focus on working out when she's awake. As a result of waiting until the afternoon to do my larger workout, I'm so hungry afterwards, and there is no meal for a few hours after. I'm desperatly trying to avoid the "Snacking Monster," but I can feel him creeping up on me.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lov3alwaysk
    lov3alwaysk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whey protein! I currently am taking the biggest loser brand. not sure if this is the best one but it has a good amount of protein and lots of other good stuff for you after you work out! its a good way to give your body what it needs to recover faster. Plus the chocolate one doesn't taste bad and you mix it with water and is only 50 cals! so it is pretty easy to work into your calorie intake for the day.
  • HealthyGirl222
    Options
    I am a snacker!!! You can snack on very low calorie things. Veggies are so low and you can eat alot of them for few calories. I like to load my fridge up with these "negative calorie" (zero calorie) foods listed below.

There are several fruits and vegetables that occur in nature that while they have calories when consumed, are said to actually result in negative calories or a calorie deficit after digested. According to this theory, these foods cause the body to extend more calories to digest than contained in their nutritional content. The result would make them zero calorie foods after digestion.

If you believe this theory, then these foods can basically be consumed without feeling guilty. They are healthy and provide nutritional content your body needs, but they do contain calories. Keep in mind, also, that even according to this zero calorie theory these foods only have this negative calorie effect when consumed without extras added to them like butter, sugar or dips.

Asparagus
    Apple
    Beet
    Cranberries
    Broccoli
    Grapefruit
    Cabbage
    Lemon
    Carrot
    Mango
    Cauliflower
    Orange
    Celery
    Pineapple
    Chile peppers
    Raspberries
    Cucumber
    Strawberries
    Dandelion
    Tangerine
    Endive
    Garden cress
    Garlic
    Green beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Papaya
    Radishes
    Spinach
    Turnip
    Zucchini
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    If you're doing strength training as your workout, then protein is a good thing to eat afterwards; maybe a scrambled egg (90 calories) with a little (1/8 cup shredded) cheese melted on top, 1/2 slice multi-grain bread, or a Premier Nutrition Protein Shake (160 calories, almost no sugar), or something.

If it is a cardio workout, then I'm not sure what would be best.

Some ideas (not to eat them all at once tho): 1 container Eating Right yogurt (60 calories), 15 almonds, 1oz cheese and 2 Ry-Krisps, a Pink Lady apple, a banana, 1 Orowheat Sandwich Thin (100 calories) with a low-cal topping, Tbsp of peanut butter, or piece of cheese. A serving of steamed edamame (I like this!), a cup of green grapes, I'll try to think of more...
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS keep a bag of baby carrots in the fridge. Sometimes I think I'm hungry but munching a couple of those takes care of the craving. And I also find chewing sugar free gum helps me get through the rough parts of the day. It's hard to eat when you have gum in your mouth. And there are some great new flavors out there.
  • Syracusedog
    Options
    Quaker Rice Cakes (White Cheddar Flavor) only 45 calories and with just enough flavor to satisfy cravings if needed eat 2 and it's still only 90 calories! They are great filler for in between workouts. If it's sweets you crave reach for a Yoplait Light Fat free yogurt. They are a 100 calories and taste great and again, enough to get you by! I find both to be very helpful and don't leave me with that heavy feeling before a workout.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When the snack monster hits you just have to choose healthy snacks my favorite is the Fiber One bars. Great source of fiber and the oats an caramel ones are delicious! I also like the Special K cereal Bars. The idea isn't not to snack you just have to choose the right kinds of snacks.
  • katebjones
    katebjones Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After a hard cardio strength work out you should eat with in the first hour after working out. your body needs to be replinished. This is according to the nutrition class i took along with my work outs.. so the idea is to eat something.. and if you are going to have any sort of bad carbs they are best right after a work out.. because your body is still burning..

im speaking from suggestions from my nutritionist/trainer.. and after a really good work out burn. 600 calories burned..
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm definitely going to try a these suggestions!