What the heck??

Options
Today was a weird day at the gym. I work out regularily with my trainer and today near the end of my hour in the last set of reps of clean lift and kettle bell swings i lost it. Convulsive sobbing and tears running down my face for no reason. I was so embarassed and shocked by the whole thing i had to leave. But my question is What the heck happened?? Workouts are not new to my routine and i have been working with same trainer for 7 months.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• DerFlexo
    DerFlexo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just shooting in the dark here, but it sounds like you gave it all you had. Maybe you were in the zone, maybe you were exhausted, maybe some mental muscle relaxed and let a door swing open that had been shut closed for a long time.
    Doesn't have to be a bad thing :)
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me before, specifically after a long race, I've never been able to run before, so when I was able to complete a 5K; I struggled, I panicked, I panted, I felt like dying. But at that last stretch, I gave it my all, and as I crossed the finish line I fell to the floor and starting balling, from just the success of doing something I didn't think I could.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me before, specifically after a long race, I've never been able to run before, so when I was able to complete a 5K; I struggled, I panicked, I panted, I felt like dying. But at that last stretch, I gave it my all, and as I crossed the finish line I fell to the floor and starting balling, from just the success of doing something I didn't think I could.

yep.

It happens.

Usually you feel extremely EXTREMELY drained- emotionally and physically afterwards- but you feel good about it.

Move on- you were doing you're best and that's all there is to give. Go have a beer- appreciate what a hard worker you are- think about your past and how far you have come- then think about how awesome next workout will be.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That's what happens to me at yoga, either tears or pure rage.

It's quite liberating.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Exercise releases all kinds of chemicals in your brain. May have just got "overloaded". I wouldn't be too concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive responses, I was beginning to think i was weird ......ok being weirder than normal lol. Would be my luck of course that i was in front of mirrors in weights section among all those gents and I the only female.:blushing: :grumble:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I broke up with my BF on Friday night I think- last year maybe- and I had to be at the gym for work that next morning- then my own workout- and I was so upset- I got through all my clients professional and put together- and then spent the next HOUR- literally crying my way through a burpee laden workout- it could have been humiliating- well had I not been torturing myself- but it was the most important thing in the world to me at that moment to finish my workout- sobbing- choking whatever.

it happens- trust- if you crying through a workout randomly is the worst thing that happens this year- you're doing just fine. :D

(PS- went to the bar after a the workout and a shower- got *kitten* faced drunk- and 4 months later got back together with him LMAO- so not to bad I guess!!! )
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey I couldn't even do a full Biggest Loser Cardio work out. I kept at it and the first time I hit the end, which was yoga wind down, I started BALWING. I freaked out too and asked about it and it DOES happen. There's nothing wrong with it. I still have it happen here and there during work outs. Sometimes I think it's just stuff coming out that I haven't been dealing with, sometimes it's just the chemicals in my brain from getting really pumped during a work out.
  • 2dare2dream
    Options
    loving you got plastered and are now back with lover, thats awesome. I guess i can just put it down to another one of those embarrasing moments we all have from time to time.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I think you might have felt overwhelmed. Sometimes I feel that way when i workout even though I'm used to it. I feel sick and tired of the idea of working out everyday and so freaking hard too. It's frustrated to think that I have to do it for the rest of my life. But then again, just a moment. It is actually nice to workout that I remind myself.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    That's what happens to me at yoga, either tears or pure rage.

It's quite liberating.

AHHHHHH.... LOVE those hip openers that release all that crap out in yoga!!!!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Totally normal... let the tears flow!! It's your body working out and releasing!! :sad:
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Happened to me once, twice, maybe more, during classes i've done for years. Maybe you were just tired or overwhelmed by things, really.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I balled my eyes out while running. It was on a long run - my longest run. The feeling of joy, relief and accomplishment overwhelmed me. I cried that big ugly, sobbing cry. It felt great!
  • 2dare2dream
    Options
    Thanks everyone, feeling almost normal again, well as normal as you lot anyway. Cheers peeps, i really appreciate the responses
    :bigsmile: