Let's talk about calories in.....

Options
hope002
hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
First of all, I am sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I used the search button, but couldn't find anything.

Let's say we have 3 individuals with the same height, weight and metabolism(no medical or hormonal problems other than digestion differences)
-one has normal digestion - 1 normal stool/day
-one has 2-3 loose stools/day
-one has little constipation problem and has 1 stool/3-4 days

They are all consuming the same amount of calories with same deficit a day(let's say 2000).

Are they all going to lose the same amount of weight over the same period of time? Are they all absorbing the same amount of calories? My thought is that the faster the food goes through the system, the fewer calories are absorbed. And vice-versa.

I have also googled it, but can't find anything about it. Maybe I am not defining it right.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    They are absorbing the same amount of calories, if my understanding of digestion is correct. The difference in the water content sounds like what you're describing. Mostly water and electrolytes are absorbed in the colon, again, if my understanding of your question is correct.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    They are absorbing the same amount of calories, if my understanding of digestion is correct. The difference in the water content sounds like what you're describing. Mostly water and electrolytes are absorbed in the colon, again, if my understanding of your question is correct.

+1
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I used to think speed of digestion meant fewer calories absorbed but I think I've read that's not the case.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    From what I see looking around online the human body is very efficient at absorbing most of the calories you consume and very little calories are left over your waste.

If I were you I'd keep my mind off this and just focus on the calories in / calories out through food intake and what your body burns.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How fast the food moves through the system is not indicated by how often a person defecates. How often someone defecates is an indication of water intake, fiber intake, colon capacity, etc. Unless someone has a medical condition, similar foods move through different individuals at roughly the same rate.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Yeah, most stool is simply water. The non-water portion is generally dead/live bacteria, fiber, and mucus. Only under situations of very rapid intestinal transit (cholera) does the body fail to withdraw the vast majority of nutrients and calories.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for educating me on this subgect :) , it makes way more sense now