Weight Lifting Help

Options
Hey everyone, so I'm not new to weight lifting. However, recently I've been experiencing some discomfort. Whenever I do squats or deadlifts, something on the outside of my knees "pops" or "snaps". It's not exactly painful, just really uncomfortable and makes squatting unpleasant. It's almost as if a band or ligament is rubbing over and snapping into place with each exertion. I think it may be my IT band. Any suggestions? I don't want to stop doing the leg workouts I like...I just want the uncomfortable shudder-inducing popping to stop. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    So in addition to doing exercises to stretch and strengthen your ITB - easily found w/ Google, there are support bands that you wear just above your knee that may help - Google ITB support band.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller or PVC pipe and a lacrosse ball, so you can perform self-myofacial release on your IT Bands, Adductors, and Glutes & Periformis. There are two very complete stretching & mobility videos by Joe DeFranco called "Agile 8" and "Limber 11", search for them on YouTube and do one of them daily if not twice a day.

In addition to mobility work, you may look into getting some knee sleeves to help keep your knees warm and provide a little extra support. Lastly, double-check your form and make sure your knees are tracking correctly to help further protect your knees during the Squat.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Make sure your form is solid or you will get hurt, especially when the weights start getting heavier. I would get my form checked by a good trainer!