Need more than a "Like"

Options
Well hello there!

Tell me...Is it wrong to want some WORDS of encouragement, rather than just a "thumbs up" from the Like button? Looking for some extra pals out there who have words of inspiration and positive things to type! Sorry if I sound needy, but in my first two days, I'd really like to make a connection with people who are serious about being on this journey. Lost 30 lbs a year ago, but after a bad car accident I gained most of it back. Looking to lose the 30 plus more with an overall goal of about 70 to lose. Would love to add some new friends who give words of praise.

Thanks for reading.

CDL719

Replies

• PRlisaNY
    PRlisaNY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100% that's the hole point of friends on here and that's when the support and motivation sure kick in with not only a like to let it be know u read or like something but with words to lift ones spirit to motivate and exchanging ideas of workouts and meal plans etc. :) hope to c this journey through with u. :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your car accident. Back in the day MFP did not have a "like" button, and people were forced to write actual words.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same for your MFP friends?
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Feel free to add me, we can encourage each other-this is my 2nd, or 3rd, or... um-well, lets say that this is the time its going to stick for me!
  • AnonnyM
    AnonnyM Posts: 9
    Options
    is there a like button? I see reply etc. but I must be missing something. although I'm not much for putting myself out there. as you may guess from my name. I think I'm one of the oldest people on here(62) think I've been working at this for 50 years yikes!
    just joined this site last week lost 50 pounds w/in the last 7 years still have more to go but I am starting to look like a normal person. My hat is off to all those who are good at the exercise thing. it's tough for me. good luck to all posting here.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a great set of people on my friends list who do drop me thoughtful comments.
    Are you doing the same for your MFP friends?

The key! You get out what you put in. :)
  • handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I disagree. I have friends on here and we sometimes hit the "like" button but we also do comment / send messages to each other often. I'm all for supporting and equally receiving it - Why is it a problem ?? Maybe you should stick to sending private messages only.:frown:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I use the like button on days I have other stuff to do (work, working out, family, dog walking(other sites like Facebook where you need to comment on stuff and like stuff too, or so I have been lead to believe)). If you comment on a friends status whose got 189 other friends who also comment - that's a LOT of junk e-mails to delete.

Could be worse, you could be getting no likes.

Post on someone's wall if you want some specific feedback or delete some of your list and find like minded people with more time on their hands :)
  • handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Agree totally with 3laine75.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just send you a FR. This is something that has been bothering me quite a bit lately. I know that not everyone has a ton of free time, but words mean more than a "like." I try to comment and encourage daily, but rarely get that in return and it's become quite disheartening. I'd greatly welcome anyone who has the time to interact rather than just click a button. I don't have a ton of support outside of MFP, so the more I can get here, the better.

I try to advertise that I prefer friends who do have the time to build some type of friendship and comment/encourage/discuss, yet I seem to typically get adds from people who say they do just that but don't. I think for some people, this interaction means more than it does for others. I am one of those people.