I simply CAN NOT cut carbs! will I STILL lose?

Options
I found out my cal total to LOSE weight is 1700/day. Sometimes I go over sometimes under BUT I am never above 2000 calories.

My meals are like this: I eat 3x //day of pretty balanced meals & drink 100oz of water/day: grilled protein (chicken, lamb chops, steak), fattoush salad (olive oil & sumac & lemon on lettuce), TBSP hummus and either a cup of rice or a serving of bread is a typical meal for me. I find that I do better when I dont cut out grains or fat on the salad.

The minute I try skipping the bread / rice and instead eating a little more protein my energy levels drop. If I cut fat out too much I am not satiated either. I never eat sugar/junk or processed foods that have shelf lives- I find them to be empty calories and I dont crave them.

My question is this, do I HAVE TO cut down on carbs to lose? I really hope not

Replies

• nytenurse03
    nytenurse03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can have carbs the key is portion control. You can't over do it. I cut back on the carbs and i'm making progress. Also you don't have to have them with every meal
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    No, you simply have to be in a deficit.
  • brosdontcuddle
    Options
    Yes you can still loose weight. Be smart about your carbs and at what time you eat them and you will be fine! I recommend you look into Carb Cycling, its not for everybody but it helps, Also understand carbs are a great energy source if used correctly, and would be most beneficial to you on strong workout days. Or follow IIFYM. You need fat/carbs/protein. be smart about what you eat and you will rock!!
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've never really cut my carbs, and I've lost weight just fine (both now, and in the past). I only eat whole grains and make sure they don't push me over my calorie limits. Even my veggie-only salad has about 23g of carbs in it, so I don't know how some people stay around 20 - 25%!

I say keep doing what you're doing for a while, and if you don't see results, re-evaluate at that time. If it feels right and ends up working, don't mess with a good thing until you need to. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut carbs to lose weight unless you have a specific medical issue which would need it. You simply need to be at a deficit.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I found out my cal total to LOSE weight is 1700/day. Sometimes I go over sometimes under BUT I am never above 2000 calories.

My meals are like this: I eat 3x //day of pretty balanced meals & drink 100oz of water/day: grilled protein (chicken, lamb chops, steak), fattoush salad (olive oil & sumac & lemon on lettuce), TBSP hummus and either a cup of rice or a serving of bread is a typical meal for me. I find that I do better when I dont cut out grains or fat on the salad.

The minute I try skipping the bread / rice and instead eating a little more protein my energy levels drop. If I cut fat out too much I am not satiated either. I never eat sugar/junk or processed foods that have shelf lives- I find them to be empty calories and I dont crave them.

My question is this, do I HAVE TO cut down on carbs to lose? I really hope not

Of course not :laugh: Just exercise more so that you can accommodate those additional calories on those days you go over. You can also vary your daily caloric intake, as long as you are still in a deficit, you will still lose weight.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bad-Carb.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No, you simply have to be in a deficit.
    ^This.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm over on carbs everyday (200+ carbs), not an exaggeration. Still not doing too badly losing weight...
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yes you can still lose weight. Be smart about your carbs and at what time you eat them and you will be fine! I recommend you look into Carb Cycling, its not for everybody but it helps, Also understand carbs are a great energy source if used correctly, and would be most beneficial to you on strong workout days. Or follow IIFYM. You need fat/carbs/protein. be smart about what you eat and you will rock!!

Yes, none after midnight because. ..gremlins

11:59 pm at the latest.

Deficit is all that matters for weight loss.

Last week, I had a 1400 calorie snack before bed. Woke up 1 lb lighter because. ..science!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You can do fine by eating carbs and maintaining a calorie deficit. You probably don't want to make them more 40-45% of your diet. When you get down to your goal weight and are focusing on reducing body fat you may want to look at a high-protein, low carb diet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I eat 60% carbs and seem to have lost a little weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Bad-Carb.jpg

Rawr
    evil-carb.jpg
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I used to be a carb junky, and I just had to get used to portion control. Now I only eat a cup of cooked rice or a 2 ounce serving of pasta at a time, for example. Once you get used to it, you will find that these serving sizes are all that you need. I used to have trouble with exceeding my carb macros, but now I often have trouble meeting them. Carbs aren't a bad thing, because you do need them. Portion control just makes things so much easier.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs. They are quick-access energy. Enjoy them.

All you need is a deficit for weight loss
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Bad-Carb.jpg

Rawr
    evil-carb.jpg

Haha, I love this!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You will still lose if you are eating less calories than you burn in a day.

Oh and CARBS RULE!!! No need to cut them out and be a cranky pants. I love my carbs :heart:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm set to 50% of cals from carbs. It hasn't hurt my progress a bit.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    First you must define what carbs means to you. I personally define carbs as fruit, grains (rice, potatoes, etc), and veggies. See, with those you can have an abundance! But if you mean you mean fatty carbs like processed chips and whatnot, those pose a problem. By no means cut the good, wholesome carbs because those are what the body needs to thrive! So carb up my friend :flowerforyou:
  • louisekerry86
    Options
    Have a look at the Low GI diet. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance so I have started eating Low GI and I'm feeling loads better already. Its just swapping bad carbs for better ones, so instead of white bread, white pasta, white rice, you'd have wholegrain bread, wholegrain/whole wheat pasta, and brown rice, and so on. With PCOS and IR its definitely not all about being on a deficit, for a lot of people with it, eating 'healthy' just isn't enough. But even without those things, the Low GI diet should benefit you anyway, because foods with a low GI have carbs that are broken down more slowly, and keep you full for longer. :)