I workout, but I never seem to lose weight...

Options
Hi, okay short background history. I am a 20 year old female who was diagnosed with leukemia last year which caused me to be stuck in a hospital bed for about 4 months and I lost about 40lbs clocking me in at 230. Then with medications plus added steroids I started gaining a lot of weight even with no diet change. I was taking a pole class once a week, and swimming a bit, but I was still gaining weight. As of right now I have gained about 50lbs and I am now weighing in at 280lbs but this has gone up and down in the past 4 months...

Now I exercise everyday for at least an hour in the gym or do an hour pole fitness class (advanced level), and I am still not seeing a weight change. I definitely see a body change though, but nothing in terms of my weight. My friend thinks I could be possibly under eating and thats why nothing is happening but I'm not sure. (hence why I started using myfitnesspal again to track my eating)...

Anyone have any idea what could possibly be happening?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    youre probably underestimating your eating. hard to tell with a closed diary
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    youre probably underestimating your eating. hard to tell with a closed diary

What he said.

I think many people are surprised at how much they need to cut down on calories when they haven't done it before. Weigh your food, measure liquids, and log your calories consistently. Estimate your calories burned in a day. Weigh periodically to check your progress. If within a month you're not seeing results, you may need to cut calories more. You'll eventually figure out how many calories you should be eating to lose weight.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Steroids are a *****. Keep track of EVERYTHING you eat. No guessing. If you are eating fewer calories than you are using, you'll lose weight.
  • Cutefitness
    Options
    okay so today I've burned 650ish calories apparently from myfitnesspal
    I've eaten about 500 calories 200 of those being gatorade from my workout and 2 cliff bars that I forced myself to eat so I'd eat something... its about lunch time now and I have no desire to eat what so ever.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    okay so today I've burned 650ish calories apparently from myfitnesspal
    I've eaten about 500 calories 200 of those being gatorade from my workout and 2 cliff bars that I forced myself to eat so I'd eat something... its about lunch time now and I have no desire to eat what so ever.

Battling cancer, and the meds aside....

.....the "I never seem to lose weight" problem is all summed up very succinctly here:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Cutefitness
    Options
    not really, because like I said, the meds do have weight gain side effects. Especially steroids...
    which is why I wrote that.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    not really, because like I said, the meds do have weight gain side effects. Especially steroids...
    which is why I wrote that.

I would recommend talking to your doctor or another health care professional about what you can do to offset an issue where steroids is causing weight gain (or weight loss, if that were the case). Perhaps certain types of food are causing you to retain more water, and a diet change is in order.

Good luck!
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Technically steroids themselves don't cause weight gain..... they make you hungry which results in overeating causing weight gain :(
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Two days worth of logging makes any honest assessment impossible. What is evident even in that limited diary is nothing is measured or weighed ... it's all generic database entries with generous exercise burns.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Two days worth of logging makes any honest assessment impossible. What is evident even in that limited diary is nothing is measured or weighed ... it's all generic database entries with generous exercise burns.

I agree.

Are you logging everything? 1/6 of a frozen pizza is tiny. And just a lemonade for lunch. I couldn't do it. I'd be eating everything else in sight.
    But watch out for entries like 1/2 cup tuna salad. If you prepare it yourself, measure and log each ingredient not just a generic entry.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sadly, no one can out run a bad diet.